Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a unit declares a fire action and when you check LOS it happens to be blocked, what happens? Can the unit change its mind or is it marked as Fire and there is no dice roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's silly not to allow LOS checks. If the guys on the ground can't see behind a barn, they're not going to fire at something back there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok.

I prefer not to allow LOS checks, à la Squad Leader, as it adds tension to the game play, as you say. Specially as it's the silhouette instead of the whole hex what blocks the LOS.

But it's good to know it's one of those things left to the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an interesting way to play, I have played this way in other games as it is written in the rules. Though LnL dosn't have this written into the rules (so i guess it would be a house rule) so I have not played this way with LnL yet, but might give it a go next game if my opponent agrees.

Just interested if you declared a fire attack and cheaked LOS, which was blocked would you mark the squad as fired or ops complete?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have really see what you mean. I have played the Carentan sceanrio alot. To begin with we both found it very hard as the US but in the last couple of games where i have played as the US I have won (its all about manoving into postion for the firsts few turns, low crawl is your friend. also I find that I use most my fate points in the first few turns reducing the effectivness of attacks from the germans while getting into position. Once there i have the MG's set up in good fire positions, have the leaders spread out (to respond to shaken troops if needed and exploite any cracks i can make in the german defence), but on the flip side of that I have also worked out a good defence for the germans when I have played as them. (setting up good strong points with lots of FP in 3 locations then having individal squads cover these points from any US melee atemps)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
If a unit declares a fire action and when you check LOS it happens to be blocked, what happens? Can the unit change its mind or is it marked as Fire and there is no dice roll?

The question is faulty. There is no requirement to "declare a fire action."

4.0 Operations Phase
You must declare which hexes will be activated in the
current impulse before you do anything with the units they
contain. You don’t have to specify what the units will do
though, nor do all units need to perform a function.

You can't fire on a unit unless:

5.0 Fire Combat
To fire on enemy units, they must be within
the range of the firing weapon(s), within the
firing unit’s Line of Sight (LOS), and spotted.

A unit has to fire to be marked with a Fired Marker:

4.0 Operations Phase
Mark units that move with a Moved, Low Crawl, Assault
Move, or Stealth marker (see Movement), and those that
fire with a Fired marker.

Basically, the unit has not fired, has not performed an action, so is able to move, fire, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane Tanguay
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules do mention that LOS can be checked at any time (second to last paragraph under 10.3).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jesters_race wrote:
also I find that I use most my fate points in the first few turns reducing the effectivness of attacks from the germans while getting into position.

I've seen in several posts that people use fate points. Where do they come from? I don't have any reference to fate points neither in my original Band of Heroes rules nor in the v3 rules I downloaded.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.