Thomas McGranor Jr
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go by the general wording conventions of most games, the term 'cannot' is absolute. Durin's Bane 'cannot leave the staging area' and therefore cannot be discarded by Dark Pit.

I know that this is not the intent of the rules, but just goes to show that the designers are still making mistakes. I love this game, but it can be so frustrating at times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have this Pack in my greedy little hands yet, but if Dark Pit specifically tells you to discard Durin's Bane at some point, then that should supersede what's written on the Durin's Bane card. I believe the word "cannot" is there to prevent you from bringing him down via Son of Arnor or some other such effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes that is the normal reason for these kind of things. So game effect nullifields the other, until some tricker happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
"Cannot" is absolute in this game as well, according to the FAQ. If it cannot leave the staging area, then nothing--regardless of specificity--can discard it, remove it from the game, etc.

I think we all generally agree that the staging area clause was simply meant to keep DB contributing its threat every turn, but the card should have read something like "Durin's Bane cannot leave the staging area except through encounter card effects." That would solve both this issue and the uncertainty regarding how O Elbereth! Gilthonial! interacts with DB. I can understand the frustration, but this should be really easy to fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Designers still make mistakes. But they always do this! Even when core set was out they issued errata for Nazgul (cannot play attachment on him)
From all card games what i has play in my life this one is most chaotic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daisy Swaffer
United Kingdom
York
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was discussed on the FFG forums too and the same conclusion reached:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Just as a follow-up, the link in the above post includes a response from FFG's Caleb Grace that would seem to settle the matter. OEG doesn't work on Durin's Bane, and Dark Pit does (the Pit will receive errata to that effect in the next FAQ).

Basically just a confirmation of what was generally inferred among community members, but still nice to get official word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.