Subject: Quarriors expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
with the newest expansion comming out i have had some thoughts.

it seems all the new expansions (or most) will be the quarmageddon size, including 40 dice, 6 creature types and 2 spell types.

i love this as it is a good balance between the small expansions and the large ones. and if they always keep the same box you can use the lowest number of boxes that will hold your collection but still have everything well orginised and stack well.

however i still believe they should have a card only expansion to support rise of the demons. even though i have house ruled the corrupted quiddity where it will be used every game, it would be nice to see the extra cards so the creatures get out more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Steinfort
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:

however i still believe they should have a card only expansion to support rise of the demons.

I have to be the cynic here and say "don't hold your breath!" :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:

it seems all the new expansions (or most) will be the quarmageddon size, including 40 dice, 6 creature types and 2 spell types.

i love this as it is a good balance between the small expansions and the large ones. and if they always keep the same box you can use the lowest number of boxes that will hold your collection but still have everything well orginised and stack well.

however i still believe they should have a card only expansion to support rise of the demons. even though i have house ruled the corrupted quiddity where it will be used every game, it would be nice to see the extra cards so the creatures get out more
The real problems with this method of expansion is:

1.) The price is super expensive (nearly the same price as the base game for less than 1/3 of the dice).

2.) If you don't like some of the creatures/spells, it is even worse for the price, but it is an all or nothing deal.

The reason people want the smaller expansions is to make best of a bad pricing situation by allowing them to buy only what they want. Also releasing several expansions with the storage box allows them to jack up the price without providing extra content even though most people probably won't need more than 1 for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of a Rise of the Demons mini-expansion too, using only cards. The problem is it has to be timed right. With every new expansion, people are going to want corrupted versions of the new creatures. Obviously this means that it would not be practical to do it after every expansion, but rather after every 3 or so expansions. Still, I think the best bet would be to release a Rise of the Demons 2 which would have corrupted versions of the creatures released to date, perhaps some new creatures/spells, and a new basic card that would have some mechanic to always allow corrupted dice to be put into play. This would give the option to players of using the new basic card when they want corrupted quiddity, which in turn would make it far easier to integrate Rise of the Demon cards into random rotation without any special rules for how many you need to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle

Seabrook
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case someone at Wizkids ever reads this... I also like the idea of a Rise of the Demons 2. Just a corrupted version of all new creatures since the last Demons and a few new corruption based spells.

I keep two creature decks. When I want a regular game I have all regular creatures and spells. When I want a corrupted game, I use one corrupted spell and 3-4 corrupted creatures. It would be great to have more corrupted variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockgeek wrote:
Just in case someone at Wizkids ever reads this... I also like the idea of a Rise of the Demons 2. Just a corrupted version of all new creatures since the last Demons and a few new corruption based spells.

I keep two creature decks. When I want a regular game I have all regular creatures and spells. When I want a corrupted game, I use one corrupted spell and 3-4 corrupted creatures. It would be great to have more corrupted variety.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsteinfo wrote:
Klaxas wrote:

however i still believe they should have a card only expansion to support rise of the demons.

I have to be the cynic here and say "don't hold your breath!" :-)

unfortunately i agree with this statement. i wish i didnt but i do. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Klaxas wrote:

1.) The price is super expensive (nearly the same price as the base game for less than 1/3 of the dice).

2.) If you don't like some of the creatures/spells, it is even worse for the price, but it is an all or nothing deal.

The reason people want the smaller expansions is to make best of a bad pricing situation by allowing them to buy only what they want. Also releasing several expansions with the storage box allows them to jack up the price without providing extra content even though most people probably won't need more than 1 for a while.

ok to counter your points.

1) honestly it is cheaper for the consumer for them to release in this format than smaller expansions. how much was rise of the demons? there was only 20 dice in it so if you double the price of rise of the demons is that more or less than quarmageddon? i dont have the numbers in front of me but i bet its more. you cant compare the base game to an expansion, the base game was probibly under priced earning them next to no money just to get the game out there. you have to compare it to an expansion. and the quarmageddon format is the cheaper rout for the consumer.

2) anyone who is a quarriors fan is going to want all the expansions. gameing is a very completist hobby in the first place, if we enjoy a game we want all of the game. now they may choose to play or not to play with a certain expansion but they usually want it all. myself included of course lol. while its true you wont need more than 1 of the cases for a while, as ive mentioned already the cases arnt adding much to the price as they can then buy in bulk on the plastic and boxes (they dont have to tailor a new insert for each expansion)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
2) anyone who is a quarriors fan is going to want all the expansions.

This is not so certain... I have all of the Q! stuff (promos included) at the moment and I'm thinking that this expansion will only add more stuff (dice and cards) into the game and no bigger changes.

Quarriors! Rise of the Demons was a great expansion because it introduced a new gaming mechanic, bringing the game to the next level, and Quarriors! Quarmageddon didn't add that much to change the game (only the two rules variants, one of them pretty good - the cull one).

So, this next expansion will be more dice, more cards, 1 twist. I dunno but right now I'm not in a buying mood for just more dice considering I've seen Smash Up, a good game to rival this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally fail to see how Smash Up coming out changes anything about liking this game or not, buying expansions or not unless you only play one game over and over until you tire of it and then rinse and repeat with another game. Card games generally just give new cards and dice games will generally give new dice in expansions, so I don't get the meat of this argument at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i stand by my statement. although i should have said most people who enjoy quarriors. yes rise of the demons was great and did add a new mechanic but if every set added a mechanic the game would quickly bog down with mechanics with none being developed. currently my biggest complaint about the game isnt a new mechanic but we need more suport for demons and the mechanic it offered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
Klaxas wrote:

ok to counter your points.

1) honestly it is cheaper for the consumer for them to release in this format than smaller expansions. how much was rise of the demons? there was only 20 dice in it so if you double the price of rise of the demons is that more or less than quarmageddon? i dont have the numbers in front of me but i bet its more. you cant compare the base game to an expansion, the base game was probibly under priced earning them next to no money just to get the game out there. you have to compare it to an expansion. and the quarmageddon format is the cheaper rout for the consumer.

2) anyone who is a quarriors fan is going to want all the expansions. gameing is a very completist hobby in the first place, if we enjoy a game we want all of the game. now they may choose to play or not to play with a certain expansion but they usually want it all. myself included of course lol. while its true you wont need more than 1 of the cases for a while, as ive mentioned already the cases arnt adding much to the price as they can then buy in bulk on the plastic and boxes (they dont have to tailor a new insert for each expansion)

1.) MSRP for Rise was $20 and MSRP for Quarmageddon was $42. Rise has 20 dice, Quarmageddon has 40. So actually Q is more than twice the price when you look at it from dice; however, my point is that they are both way overpriced compared to the base game.

2.) What you mean to say is anyone who is a completionist is going to want all the expansions, but this is far from all of the fans. Plus the larger expansions cost at least the same for you if not more, but smaller expansions allow non-completionist to pick and choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i agree that compared to the base game the expansions are more expencive but that is for the reason i stated. the profit margin on the base game was probibly extremly low to get people into the game. the expansions need a more reasonable profit margin for the company to continue producing a good product (and feeding thier families)

anyone who doesnt feel the product is good enough for the price is free to not purchace it. and as for the smaller expansions its true it does allow you to purchace or not based on your preferences but in all honesty you cant please everyone.

when demons came out people were complaining the expansion wasnt big enough. people were also hollaring for a storage solution. with the current expansion size i believe they were trying to make the largest part of thier customers happy. now if they would just listen to us about the demons lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Totally fail to see how Smash Up coming out changes anything about liking this game or not, buying expansions or not unless you only play one game over and over until you tire of it and then rinse and repeat with another game. Card games generally just give new cards and dice games will generally give new dice in expansions, so I don't get the meat of this argument at all.

Well, it's a matter of adding more of the same or trying something new.

Right now I put Smash Up on the same level of Q!, a fast fun game to play in 30~45min. If I had to choose between a new game and an expansion that only adds more variants to a game, my choice would be a new game.

I've only brought Smash Up to this issue because, as with many other games in my collection (I can name Agricola, Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game or Arkham Horror), I didn't need to add expansions (or more expansions) to have fun with those games and opted for another different game instead of adding expansions to those games.
I'm a hearted Runebound (Second Edition) fan and I collect everything for that game, but any piece I add (ok, except those Market cards) will change the game in one matter or the other. It's not just "here, take an expansion that will add more critters and more items, but only that!" and I will buy it just to add more... of the same.

I will actually end up buying that Q! expansion... unless I find a new poison to bury my treasures! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everybody has his own guidelines. I generally buy every expansion for every game that I like well enough to keep. If I don't like a game well enough to want whatever new things are created fior it, then I won't keep the game. So everything for Dominion, Ascension, Kingdom Builder, etc., they put out, I will get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Everybody has his own guidelines. I generally buy every expansion for every game that I like well enough to keep. If I don't like a game well enough to want whatever new things are created fior it, then I won't keep the game. So everything for Dominion, Ascension, Kingdom Builder, etc., they put out, I will get.

Exactly! and i believe a majority of gamers are this way. if you like the game enough to keep you want all of it. might not be a huge priority but you will get it (I have yet to get Quarmageddon but its on my list)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So take this with a grain of salt but the owner of the store I game at said he was told there will be two Quarriors expansions, one with the box and one without, at least that is what his supplier had suggested was coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well thats an interesting solution i hadnt excpeted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, no idea if that actually is what will happen. Basically what occurred is the supplier solicited the store owner two upcoming Quarriors expansions coming out around the same time, one apparently with a large box and one in a small container. Since I have heard of no other Quarriors expansions coming out in the next few months, I assumed it is the same expansion in two different packages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, that would certainly make most people happy i would say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.