Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Martin
United States
Overland Park
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Right off the bat, let me say that I know that the games I mention below are not similar at all, and in many cases, cannot be compared. However, I know that whenever I see threads like on BGG, there are always some great comments that give me a better understanding of the games and help me decide if a game would be a good fit for me or not.

So even if my recommendation request doesn't make sense because the games cannot be compared, please feel free to add your thoughts. They will be greatly appreciated.

So I'm in the process of making an online order and want to add ONE (or two, if they work out to $40-$50) medium-weight (or slightly heavier), low-luck, euro-style strategy game. I've been going back and forth between many games in my wish list and just have not been able to make up my mind!!

My first choices were The Manhattan Project or Prêt-à-Porter. If either of those were available at this time, I would not be posting here! And I just don't feel like holding up the rest of my order, waiting for these two games

So I began looking for other potential candidates -

1. Poseidon - I've heard a lot about 18xx games, but they seem to be too heavy and long for me to get them to the table. The mechanics of 18xx sound very appealing to me, so Poseidon looks like a great choice.

2. Goa - When I first got into games, I kept looking at Goa, but it was out of print. It still is on my wishlist, but it seems like it would 'feel' like a lot of the regular euros I have played over the past few years (auctions, resource management, theme). So that's why I'm holding back, even though it might be a really good game.

3. Age of Industry - I've been wanting to try a Martin Wallace game for a very long time. A lot of people keep saying that he is their favorite designer, and I think I will like his games too. I played Brass once and quite liked it, so that's why AoI is on my wishlist.

4. The Castles of Burgundy & Biblios - Stefan Feld is another designer who I think I will like very much. Since CoB is his highest rated game, I figured I would give that a shot. And from the reviews, it does look pretty good. Plus, since this game is only $26 online, I figured I can add on another smaller game to the order. And Biblios seemed to fit the bill. So the plus point with this option is i get TWO new games!!

So those are my choices so far. Do you guys have any recommendations? Any comments would be very helpful.

My typical game group size is 2,3 and 4 players. Though I sometimes get 5 and 6 players as well. All players are generally familiar with eurogames and like to try new themes/mechanics.

These are the features I generally prefer in games:

- good player interaction
- low level of randomness and less hidden information
- some amount of take-that play
- multiple paths to victory
- I love games where each player has to play slightly differently or has to have a different strategy than the others

Thanks a lot in advance!
Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Poseidon, but the general consensus seems to be it's not a very good 18XX substitution.

Castles of Burgundy is a fine game, but not particularly interactive.

Age of Industry is an excellent introduction to Wallace, certainly one of my favorite designers. It will play in 90-120 mins once you are playing with people who know the rules. I've played a lot of Brass, and AoI only once, but really liked my experience with AoI.

I'd recommend Troyes as another idea - highly interactive, tight game, just a very pure (and excellent) Euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Martin
United States
Overland Park
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply!

From the few reviews on BGG for Poseidon, it seemed like it was in fact a good introduction to 18xx. I can see it not being a "substitute", but rather a "gateway" to 18xx.

I already own Troyes and agree that it is an excellent game!

Will definitely look into AoI some more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansa Teutonica would be a good addition. I actually like all of the designer's games - they all have simple rules and only a few mechanics, but the interplay is always really intriguing.

You appear to play a fair number of heavier / longer games - you could give Indonesia a try if you can find a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory peacock
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only comment on Biblios. It is a very good game that hits the table frequently at my house. It is a great heavier filler, yet is easy to teach to new players. It plays fairly quickly and is the best game in my collection that plays virtually the same for 2, 3, and 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Goa- is an excellent game. all the mechanics go well together, even in 2 player games.

Castles of Burgundy- bought for the same reason. but i have yet to play it. lots of pieces to this game. seems fiddly. may or may not turn you off.

Posiedon- A game i regret trading. I never played any 18xx, but Posiedon was certainly an interesting game. If you enjoy stock games like Acquire, Imperial, or Union Pacific, then this one is interesting. I am also interested in the 18xx games, but lack a proper teacher, nor do I have the time to play an epic game regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mechanikhil wrote:
I played Brass once and quite liked it, so that's why AoI is on my wishlist.

Brass is getting reprinted so if the lack of it being out now is why you are looking elsewhere, that will change later this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to support the Castles of Burgundy option - one of my favorite games. Yes, there are a lot of bits, but it's not as fiddly as it looks, IMO. Not deeply interactive, but the kind of game that drives choices, gets you swearing at your opponents for taking "your move", scales well from 2-4, and allows for conversation over the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's a Hat!
United States
flag msg tools
Welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, well!
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios is a lot of fun for about 15 quick games. The next five are adequately fun. After that it becomes rote and you find yourself wanting to play better card games like Innovation or San Juan. At least....I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest going with the The Castles of Burgundy & Biblios option. Both are great games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
18xx is not really that complicated. The strategy can be deep but the mechanics are actually pretty straightforward. Dominant Species is harder to explain than any 18xx I've played. If you want to give it a try then check out 18GA or 18AL. Last I checked they were still free to print. 1830: Railways & Robber Barons is also readily available. 1830 is longer but a better experience. 18AL and 18GA are shorter versions but practically the same gameplay.

Also as was mentioned Brass is getting a reprint and it's a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I haven't played Brass and have only played Age of Industry once. I've played Poseidon and the Manhattan Project

AoI - If you get this, get the expansion maps. The New England map I've played and it's good, but I can see it getting old after a while (though you'll get a good amount of plays out of it before then). The Japan and Minnesota maps will keep it fresh. I recommend not jumping into the expansion maps right away, though, only have them to prolong the game time. If you can't afford the maps with the base game, the base game is still worth it.

I've researched Brass and from what I've seen, I prefer AoI. I don't like the way iron can be transported from anywhere to anywhere. I am not such a VP guy. I like them, but they seem to be more abstractly applied in Brass and more thematically applied in AoI. I also think one age is plenty, though that's my uninformed opinion. The player mats in AoI are great too and easier to understand than the info-filled Brass counters. But what do I know, I own AoI and am quite happy with it. Great game. Brass is being reprinted very soon, as was mentioned, so I'd just wait for it.

Poseidon - It is a good game but it's very dry. Lot of math and calculations need to be done. Good to have a printout chart of some type, calculators, etc. For example, if you want to buy a new company and need to buy back half the shares, you have to figure out what to set the price at based off the money you can afford to spend, etc, then figure out if the company will have enough money to buy the ships it needs in order to run. I think it's a decent gateway but you don't need this one to get your feet wet.

I don't like the limited number of rounds. The game can't go on any longer because the routes are usually taken and the potentials mostly gone by this point, but it feels like the game never really gets to the part where it gets good. Honestly, just jump right into 1830.

However, if you want a train game with stockholding that's not necessarily 18xx, get Chicago Express. When played with the right amount of players, it's an amazing, deep, and quick playing game.

See my thread here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/816210/18xx-vs-wallace-vs-fr...

Manhattan Project - Amazing euro. Thematic, balanced, great mechanics. The player interaction, while it doesn't break the game, doesn't feel 100% needed, especially the airstrikes. And I LIKE player interaction. I think the espionage is a great feature, though. Honestly, kickstart this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
I've researched Brass and from what I've seen, I prefer AoI.

... I also think one age is plenty, though that's my uninformed opinion.

I actually enjoy the two periods. Much like the rest of the game you have to adjust to meet the supply demands for the future. I like the transition into the second period. However I have not played AoI yet, but I really enjoy Brass.

Moe45673 wrote:

However, if you want a train game with stockholding that's not necessarily 18xx, get Chicago Express. When played with the right amount of players, it's an amazing, deep, and quick playing game.

Chicago Express is a great game. However the stock market play isn't that interesting. Buying and selling really adds a lot of tension for all the shareholders. I almost want to try a variant with Chicago Express where you can sell shares. However if I did that I might as well be playing a 18xx game. Great game but it's such a different game than the 18xx itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sicaria wrote:
Moe45673 wrote:
I've researched Brass and from what I've seen, I prefer AoI.

... I also think one age is plenty, though that's my uninformed opinion.

I actually enjoy the two periods. Much like the rest of the game you have to adjust to meet the supply demands for the future. I like the transition into the second period. However I have not played AoI yet, but I really enjoy Brass.

I tried to make it clear, my opinion on 1 vs 2 ages is in no way scientific. I may be fully wrong and if I ever play Brass may eat my words. But right now I have too many games and not enough time that I've stopped buying them and am going to play the fantastic games I already own.

Quote:
Moe45673 wrote:

Chicago Express is a great game. However the stock market play isn't that interesting. Buying and selling really adds a lot of tension for all the shareholders. I almost want to try a variant with Chicago Express where you can sell shares. However if I did that I might as well be playing a 18xx game. Great game but it's such a different game than the 18xx itch.

Again, no arguments. But this game does have some cool interactive and economic strategies, plus its easy to get to the table.

Btw, I just played Wealth of Nations, OP, and it ticks off every check mark on your list. If you want a game about a market with trading, interacting, prices rising and falling based off the group's actions, lots of haggling, an economy with 5 different markets and you can control one (or more) of them, this is the game. Everyone in my group loved it. Play the version 2 rules, though. The V1 rules turned off a lot of players, giving the game a lower rating than I believe it deserves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Martin
United States
Overland Park
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. I played Chicago Express once, a while ago, and remember liking it. I will definitely look into it some more.

My only thing with Poseidon is, I will keep wanting to get it, unless someone teaches me an 18xx game, which I don't think is very likely at this point. It's even more unlikely that I will buy an 18xx game myself as I don't have anyone to play it with, and I don't want to try learning it myself and teaching my friends. And if I can't get it to the table often, why spend money on it?

If Poseidon is a lighter version of an 18xx game, it will at least give me some indication of whether I would like an actual 18xx game. Then I can think about getting one myself. I definitely think I will have more luck getting my wife or friends to play Poseidon over an 18xx game (mainly because they will like the theme better).

Wealth of Nations sounds good, but I want to get a game that plays with 2 at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Poseidon does play with 2 but it's not great. What's a real shame is, I may like it if I actually played it with more than 3 people, but never have.

Games where the markets are driven by the players are just more engrossing the more players there are, IMO. If you really want a game playable with 2, Age of Industry does get good reviews, if played with the variant where you remove 24 specific cards (similar to the Brass variant). There's also a pnp 2 player map for that game.

Poseidon was not very difficult, I think. Buy stocks, decide if you want your company to derive profits or pay dividends (if dividends, stock goes up one space), make sure your company has enough money to buy new ships (trains) as they evolve and you don't get left behind. Lay track (trading posts) to increase the dividends paid back to the shareholders.

What I didn't like was selling stocks didn't seem to be too lucrative. Although, again, playing with more players may change my mind about the game but right now, I'm really enjoying some others.

Now you're making me rethink my decision to get rid of Poseidon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.