Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Nall
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had theory about what Guilds (the next expansion) was going to add; now I've seen Shelters I'm more sure than ever.

I think guilds are going to add varying player powers. Thematically each player will associate with a Guild thus starting different. Just like shelters each player will start with these guild specific cards instead of estates. For instance maybe choosing to start with a certain guild will allow the player to start with a trash card or another will allow the player to start with extra money or another which gives a card like gardens which at the end of the game gives extra victory points for having a certain ratio of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, but I don't think I'd like it if there weren't enough cards for multiple players to have the same starting hand. It would probably be difficult to make it so that all the "guilds" could be considered equal when starting out in every set of 10 kingdom cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not feeling it. The beauty of Dominion is everyone starts out on equal footing and makes their deck how they want it. If each player had a unique theme that would defy everything Dominion has built thus far. If everyone were permitted to choose duplicate starting themes then you're just hurrying the game along by eliminating the first 2-3 rounds of Dominion when it is normally done. I just don't see the point.

That said, it is odd that we will be finishing Dominion with a small expansion unless it had some overall impact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:

That said, it is odd that we will be finishing Dominion with a small expansion unless it had some overall impact.

Although guilds was supposed to come out before dark ages...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...but was switched. There seems to be a strategy there. Whether the strategy is related to Dark Ages or Guilds has yet be seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Hockey Mask wrote:
...but was switched. There seems to be a strategy there. Whether the strategy is related to Dark Ages or Guilds has yet be seen.

They decided they wanted small sets in addition to large ones. At the time they needed one fast, so I broke up Alchemy, as the potions part seemed like the thing I could have ready fastest that worked the best as a small expansion.

This meant I would need two more small expansions, but only had one (the rough other half of Alchemy). So I made a new small expansion, Guilds, planning on it coming out between Hinterlands and Dark Ages.

Then Jay decided to do the Base Cards product, and only one expansion this year. I suggested that Dark Ages was a lot better as the only expansion for the year than Guilds, because it's so much larger. Jay agreed to switch them and so now Guilds is last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nall
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:

So I made a new small expansion, Guilds, planning on it coming out between Hinterlands and Dark Ages.

I suggested that Dark Ages was a lot better as the only expansion for the year than Guilds, because it's so much larger.

If Guilds did introduce varying player powers Dark Ages would add to the concept with shelters. So, to me, the Hinterlands, Guilds then Dark Ages order would best facilitate the varying player power addition.

Anyhow, I'll definitely be making some fan cards to the effect.... after I digest Dark Ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:

They decided they wanted small sets in addition to large ones. At the time they needed one fast, so I broke up Alchemy, as the potions part seemed like the thing I could have ready fastest that worked the best as a small expansion.

This meant I would need two more small expansions, but only had one (the rough other half of Alchemy). So I made a new small expansion, Guilds, planning on it coming out between Hinterlands and Dark Ages.

Then Jay decided to do the Base Cards product, and only one expansion this year. I suggested that Dark Ages was a lot better as the only expansion for the year than Guilds, because it's so much larger. Jay agreed to switch them and so now Guilds is last.

Wait, so Alchemy was split off of a bigger set. Does that mean there may be more cards later that have anything to do with potions? That would be nice, as I like Alchemy, but it is less likely to be appreciated thanks to fewer cards utilizing or necessitating potions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
sponkey21 wrote:
Wait, so Alchemy was split off of a bigger set. Does that mean there may be more cards later that have anything to do with potions? That would be nice, as I like Alchemy, but it is less likely to be appreciated thanks to fewer cards utilizing or necessitating potions.

Nope - if you look at the Secret Histories (specifically the one for Alchemy), you will see that all of the Potion cards were combined to make what is now known as Alchemy. The remaining cards underwent substantial changes and are now Cornucopia.

I believe Donald X. has mentioned in the past that the only way we would see other cards costing potions is if there was some future "treasure chest" compilation with a new card or two with key mechanics/themes from each expansion. And it has sounded like even that is not likely without a lot of pressure from fans and Rio Grande Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh thanks, I have not read the secret histories. I didn't think there would be but that threw me for a sec so I had to check. I wish more of my friends were open to Alchemy. Golem, Possession, and Vineyard are some of the most fun cards in my opinion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mesina
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Donald was here and didn't deny the OPs speculation...curious...

Dominion is the ultimate variable game, with even the end conditions (Prosperity) and the starting conditions (Dark Ages) being malleable so, variable player powers would seem...logical.

As long as they are balanced, I'm for it.

Or maybe each guild represents a variable endgame conition? (Pipers Guild- get all the rats to the trash pile, Merchants guild, empty any treasure pile, etc.) These could be player specific or shared by all. Heck, the rules may even say they could go either way, depending on player consensus. That would go a long way to making Dominion, which is a race at it's core, the hands-down most variable game of all time. (if it isn't already.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marks
United States
California
flag msg tools
My guess for Guilds follows from the fact that at some point Alchemy was split off from a larger expansion, with the non-Alchemy cards roughly becoming Guilds.

Could it be that at one point "Alchemists" were one of several kinds of "Guilds" that had a bunch of related kingdom cards associated with it (along with its own specialized Treasure)? I wonder if we may get 2 more special Treasure cards a la Potion and 6-7 Kingdom cards each that can only be purchased with that Treasure. The purchase of that Treasure card effectively allows you into that Guild, and able to buy its cards for your Kingdom.

You heard it here first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
stevemarks wrote:
My guess for Guilds follows from the fact that at some point Alchemy was split off from a larger expansion, with the non-Alchemy cards roughly becoming Guilds.

Um, no. The non-Alchemy cards coming from the larger original expansion split eventually became Cornucopia, not Guilds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Jaeppel
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guilds makes me think of Arcana, a fine deckbuilder from Dust/AEG/FFG/Rackham. Mechanically, it is simply a deck builder, the main difference being players bid on the random cards in the supply rather than buying from a static board directly.

Arcana uses guilds from the ground up. Each starting deck has a couple cards different, and each player has a guild card with a special ability, essentially the cases in which that player wins ties.

I could really see dominion going that way. I like this idea of Guilds giving us different start positions, and the OP's proposition seems like a perfect and simple way to do so. There could be cards that are just stonger in the hands of a certain guild.

For me the name says it all. Guilds are closed societies, each different. Just because dominion has always been about equality doesnt mean dxv cant throw that out on its ear.

just have to wait six months or so to find out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bee

Washington
msg tools
mbmb
While Dominion started the deck building craze, there's a couple of deck builders out there that start you off with a different starting-hand, which isn't necessarily better than another hand, but it forces you to play and think in a different way. Penny Arcade Gamers v. Evil, Star Trek DBG and 7 Wonders (to a degree with Leaders) all give a player a markedly different start than their opponents and its a nice twist.

Dominion shouldn't shun change! change is good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Undrdatree wrote:
I've had theory about what Guilds (the next expansion) was going to add; now I've seen Shelters I'm more sure than ever.

I think guilds are going to add varying player powers. Thematically each player will associate with a Guild thus starting different. Just like shelters each player will start with these guild specific cards instead of estates. For instance maybe choosing to start with a certain guild will allow the player to start with a trash card or another will allow the player to start with extra money or another which gives a card like gardens which at the end of the game gives extra victory points for having a certain ratio of cards.

Nope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marks
United States
California
flag msg tools
Beaveman wrote:
stevemarks wrote:

Um, no. The non-Alchemy cards coming from the larger original expansion split eventually became Cornucopia, not Guilds.

I stand corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the idea of variable starting positions, see puzzle strike for an effective implementation. here you have the choice of ten different sets of 3 'cards' (with 10 more in the shadows set) all with very unique abilities that really shake up play.

I'd be way of dominion going in this direction, as it would seem to go against the inherent balance despite varying supplies. Unique starting positions would mean that particular kingdom cards skew the game wildly in sometimes favour. (puzzle strike deals with this through meticulous balancing and a counter-picking system).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Jaeppel
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another idea i had of implementing a guild system. Each player chooses a unique guild and takes a special card or three and begins the game with theses cards faceup in play. Then each of these cards could have a special case or one shot sort of ability.

Say one guy starts with a one shot village, another with a one shot bridge, another with a one shot smithy.

As history has provmen time and time again, when we finally see the cards we usually laugh at all of this sort of spculation. dxv will likely do something really neat and simple that we never thought of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.