Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which do you guys prefer, two player wargames or multi-player wargames?

(I know there's a few who prefer solitaire, but some recent threads and geek lists have addressed that topic.)

I ask because I prefer multi-player wargames such as Empires in Arms. If not a multi-sided game like EiA, then at least bigger games which are playable with multiple players on the same side (such as World in Flames, The Devil's Cauldron, and, ultimately, Campaign for North Africa).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warren Bruhn wrote:

(I know there's a few who prefer solitaire, but some recent threads and geek lists have addressed that topic.)

I ask because I prefer multi-player wargames such as Empires in Arms. If not a multi-sided game like EiA, then at least bigger games which are playable with multiple players on the same side (such as World in Flames, The Devil's Cauldron, and, ultimately, Campaign for North Africa).

Not even Jim Dunnigan (SPI) called Campaign for North Africa a "game."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cornelissen
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warren Bruhn wrote:
Which do you guys prefer, two player wargames or multi-player wargames?.

Heavy two-player wargames and light multi-player wargames (when the opportunity arises with visiting family).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Warren Bruhn wrote:

Yes.

Okay, a flippant reply, but I do enjoy both and couldn't say which I enjoy more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends. My group has played a lot of mufti player games over the years. Then I just asked if everybody could come over different nights to play two player games. It's been great (for me at least).

Seems like if somebody is going to get ticked off it's going to be in a multi player game and not a two player game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer multiplayer wargames, despite the fact that opportunities to play them are fewer and farther between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly it depends on the group of people playing with. IF I've got a reliable bunch who read the rules and show up regularly, then that feeds well into a lot of my favorite games and that makes me happy.

But this isn't exclusive. Many good wargames are strictly 2player and that's OK too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
I like multi-player team games, typically tactical (Fighting Wings series, Close Action, Historical ASL modules, Grand Tactical Series) and operational (Operational Combat Series, GMT East Front Series, etc). I like multi-player strategic/diplomatic games second best, but the "weak sisters" or "spoiler" effects can be pretty dramatic depending on the type of players involved.

But I end up playing two-player more often than not. It's just more convenient that way--not having to get everybody's schedule to match up. Nothing worse than somebody's got to leave early before the game reaches its natural conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
ericmwalters wrote:
Nothing worse than somebody's got to leave early before the game reaches its natural conclusion.

I really hate that, especially when given no forewarning. If the guy knew he needed to leave in the middle of a game why did he start playing?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is why we need more fast multi-player wargames.
C'mon, wanna-be designers! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davedanger wrote:

Play Down in Flames campaigns. Lots of action, and most dogfights are under 30 minutes, with 4 to 6 dogfights a campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
davedanger wrote:

Some Euros like Vinci and Web of Powerare confrontational enough to provide a minor level of Wargasam. And play pretty fast. But I will have to agree that we could use more 2-3 hour window multi player honest to goodness wargames.

Another thing is cell phones cause a lot of problems. Many times have been happily playing a multi player game and one of the guys will start getting texts from some stupid girl and winds up leaving abruptly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
out to lunch wrote:
2-player anyday. I hate downtime.

Good point. One of the reasons I like Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42so far 2 player game with hardly any down time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg Goroshenko
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mb
Prefer 2-player games becouse of living in relatively small city of the country where wargaming is not popular way of spending free time.
But almost all tactical level games are for two so, believe, if I shall move to bigger city it will stay the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
The best I can hope for is 2-players, so I avoid all of them that are 3+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Multi-player. Generally in the 8-12 hour range.

Opponents optional.

out to lunch wrote:

I rather like it. Especially if I can smoke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Multi-player. Generally in the 8-12 hour range.

Opponents optional.

out to lunch wrote:

I rather like it. Especially if I can smoke.

Smoking is not only allowed but actively encouraged at my place. Move to beautiful Medford Oregon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warren Bruhn wrote:

Two player wargames. It is the norm and just that there are many more games. I think it is harder to find good designed multiplayer wargames until recently with Mark McLaughlin excellent Napoleonic CDG system.

Nonetheless, since I have a local club to go and usually it is better to play multiplayer wargames so that more people can join in. 2012 is actually a year that I played a lot of multiplayer wargames. Some lame but some can be quite good for fun. Lame are games like Sergeants Miniatures Game: Day of Days,Blockade Runner and Gears of War: The Board Game. Fun are games like Strike of the Eagle, Russian Civil War 1918-1922 (second edition), Magic Realm,A Game of Thrones (first edition), Lords of Waterdeep, Maria. In fact, some of these multiplayers are truly excellent from design point of view other than simply fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.