United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i was just clued into the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Source_Ecology_(project) which is working to build the Global Village Construction Set (basically an open technological platform that allows for the easy fabrication of the 50 different Industrial Machines that it takes to build a small civilization with modern comforts)

they have a list of all machines over on wikipedia but i think this might be a good start for a CivDev game of some sort that isn't the stone age through modern times but rather a 'we have to begin again' theme

The set comprises 50 industrial machines:

Habitat
CEB press
Concrete mixer
Sawmill

Agriculture
Tractor
Bulldozer
Seeder
Hay rake
Backhoe
Microtractor
Rototiller
Spader
Hay cutter
Trencher
Bakery oven
Dairy milking machine
Microcombine harvester
Baler
Well-drilling rig

Industry
Multimachine
Ironworker
Laser cutter
Welder
Plasma cutter
Induction furnace
CNC torch table
Metal roller
Wire and rod mill
Press forge
Universal rotor
Drill press
3D Printer
3D Scanner
CNC circuit mill
Industrial robot
Woodchipper / Hammermill

Energy
Power Cube
Gasifier burner
Solar concentrator
Electric motor / generator
Hydraulic motor
Nickel–iron battery
Steam engine
Steam generator
Wind turbine
Pelletizer
Universal power supply

Materials
Aluminium extractor
Bioplastic extruder

Transportation
Car
Truck

just throwing this out to the game designers as a possible development idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brief descriptions of each machine can be found here

http://opensourceecology.org/gvcs.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the wiki, but I'm still not quite certain what this is.

Is it a device? A large box with a bunch of devices in it?

Can we just air-drop this on an island and watch our industry grow?

I generally know what a platform is when talking about computers and such, but as far industrial machining goes, what is an "open technological platform"?

Why does it seem like the "prerequisite" technologies are so much more advanced than the things the simple industrial society needs/uses? ("Sure, we can build that sawmill for you, but first help me get this CNC torch table into place.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears that computers are existing at this point, so the new stuff is just to build afresh what was once there? Not to learn how to do it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
lordrahvin wrote:

Why does it seem like the "prerequisite" technologies are so much more advanced than the things the simple industrial society needs/uses?

I saw this as well, but this kind of over necessitation of technology is surprisingly common in academic ventures like this. back in design school I witnessed all too often students queue up for hours at the CNC machines and laser cutters to cut very simple shapes rather than use basic shop tools.

honestly, this is a slight departure from the original topic, but i think that the push pull between automated and more labor intensive production would be a very interesting subject for a game because ultimately it comes down to resource allocation (putting time into learning the tech and programing tolling paths versus purring time in the production via manned fabrication)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agree with all points john.

one of my reasons for posting this originally was more an idea of a type of tech tree to possibly pursue within the confined bubble of the list (with real world issues of over complication to do simple things set aside). for this type of game (let's say it is a card game) the power machines and the transport machines become the 'engine' resources, to me, needed for the other times.

strictly within the confines of the list then the aluminum smelter and CNC machines (among others) are in the game then to provide spare parts for possible breakdown events the players have to deal with.

i see sort of small RfTG/San Juan/etcc... engines operating inside a larger game. collecting those machines that are support systems for bigger machines

printing press is used to print off blueprints for the machines to build more
wind turbine generates electricity to power the truck
the truck is needed for etc....
aluminum smelter provides raw materials for the CNC to mill spare parts
etc..

sort of an open ended hierarchy

i tend to like designing games with decks of cards (though they are used as more than just cards to a hand) and 50 machines is a nice number for a 54 card deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of working with tech trees using any of these particular machineries, I getting fascinated with the general abstract concept. I'm picturing this more as a Catan-like set-collection card game, where cards represent time-shares on particular machines.

Let's say, you want an open-source car. Well, that takes X red cards and Y blue cards and a single grey card, perhaps where gray cards represent raw metals, red cards represent the use of CNC machines, and blue cards represent accumulated power generated. Or something like that.

If you've already used up all your time on the CNC machines, then you'll need to trade with other players to get their red cards.

Each "round", every player scraps their hand and draws an equal number each type of card representing their available time on the communal industrial equipment. (They can keep or hold onto any cards that represent machinery, finished goods, or raw materials but must discard things like red cards that represent "reserved right to use the CNC machines" that were never used or traded away.)

However, if say, one player invested all his resources into building a CNC machine, then in each "round" he gets a bunch of extra red cards that he may use or trade away, representing the extra inustrial output of the CNC during this time.

I'm kind of liking the idea.

edit: it's probably better if cards represent tangible things that you can keep, or communal property in the middle of the board that everyone can use, and colored tokens represent intangible "time shares" that can be traded or used to purchase other cards or tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
maybe this is pedestrian, but it seems like the main "currency" within this system would be electricity. turbine produces it, tools need it, and it would scale up as you start to utilize the more specialized tools (like 3D printers and such). at this point it is almost like a worker placement game, but with your "workers" being watts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
middletonner wrote:
maybe this is pedestrian, but it seems like the main "currency" within this system would be electricity. turbine produces it, tools need it, and it would scale up as you start to utilize the more specialized tools (like 3D printers and such). at this point it is almost like a worker placement game, but with your "workers" being watts.

That's actually a pretty good insight. The key to building (or rebuilding) a civilization with these tools would be access to continuous sources of energy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.