Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I'm just north of Salt Lake City, I figured it'd come today!

The box is very sturdy; I love when they make the box nice and thick & sturdy. It's a nice glossy box too!

I opened it up, and love the art of course. The cards looked a bit curved in their shrink wrap. Here is everything, the box opened, one half of the cards out of shrink convex, one half in shrink concave, rules, and melon seed packet.

Here is a closeup of the cards (sorry about the bit of blurriness).

I only paid $12 for the game (and later expansion), so I know the cards couldn't be the highest kind of stock. Still, I had almost assumed a level or two better cardstock than this.

I don't want to sound whiny, I am content overall, and excited to try the game. Just giving my impressions as I had them.

When you fertilize your crops, the curve will be concave and not convex, and I wonder if that may be annoying, fertilizer sliding off the convex crops.

I'm hoping my daughter with high-functioning autism might be drawn in by the art; she loves to unleash negative events on us in Free Parking, and accepts them acceptably as well, so the take that here shouldn't be a problem with her.

I feel bad for posting any negative-ish impressions, but . . it's my honest feeling. I think we'll have fun with this though.

Edited for clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarah! Thanks for your input, we appreciate it. I've had my copy for a while now and the cards will flatten out. I personally love the linen finish, but I'm insanely biased.

Tell us what you think as you play it! I hope your daughter has fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay for flatter cards! I like linen finishes as well, I forgot to mention that. I know finish preference can vary wildly amongst people, from time spent lurking in forums on BGG.

Before I'd even opened the box, she was drawn to the sulking melon seeds (Grumpy Melon, officially). So was I!

Oh, I know you said at one point you couldn't open the packets without tearing, but then later someone had found a way to open them neatly; could you share how, so that I can open them in a way I can turn it into a fridge magnet? I'd really appreciate it!

Also, you replied in what, less than 30 seconds? That's quite exceptional.

I'll let you know how we like it, hopefully later tonight!

Sara
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Phil cut the top cleanly off using scissors with the seeds.

As for quick reply, I am subscribed so I can respond to players. Also, it's a slow day at work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently there was a bit of an issue with the Kickstarter send outs. My brother picked this up about a week ago at his local game store. A buddy of mine had ordered his and was a little peeved it hadn't come in yet.

The store bought version had low quality cards as well, though after a couple of plays they seemed to flatten out a bit.

Fun game and I enjoyed it more than Bohnanza.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markaaronmassey wrote:

Fun game and I enjoyed it more than Bohnanza.

That is high praise! I appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started to write here how the first game went, but there was enough detail I switched to doing a session report. Two big thumbs up though, for a 2-player, husband and I who are casual gamers, game.

I'll ask a couple questions that I'm pretty sure of the answers, but want to make sure, in your Got Questions? I'm here thread.

The curve of the cards didn't matter at all in game play, and since it reportedly flattens out with some plays, I'm not worried about it!

I can't shuffle however and use an automatic shuffler? It nicked the edges of a couple of the cards, so keep that in mind if you use an automatic shuffler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sarebear62 wrote:

I can't shuffle however and use an automatic shuffler? It nicked the edges of a couple of the cards, so keep that in mind if you use an automatic shuffler.

You put poor sluggo in a wood chipper???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha! I was trying to make creamed corn . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Kilcrease
United States
SLC
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sarebear62 wrote:
Two big thumbs up though, for a 2-player, husband and I who are casual gamers, game.

Great to hear you enjoyed it, Sara. Thanks for the feedback, too. : ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome! Second game, 88 to 86. He won again. Darn it. I'll get him though, and his little dog, too. I like that these are some close games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis O'Connor
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't get my melon seeds, no big deal though, was interested in the game not the seeds, cards look great, can't wait to give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine arrived in Delaware today. I'm very happy with the quality of the cards. Will play tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pennsylvania shipment arrived today! Of course I've been playing the PnP version for awhile, so I know what to expect. This was the first PnP I ever put together, so I have to say, compared to my homemade cards, the new ones feel quite superior. :D (My cardmaking skills have improved with newer PnP's).

I have to agree about the box being top quality. We are avid campers, and card games are our games of choice to take along. It is nice to know that we have a good, sturdy, box for this one, since it will definitely get knocked around during our trips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weezknight wrote:
Pennsylvania shipment arrived today! Of course I've been playing the PnP version for awhile, so I know what to expect. This was the first PnP I ever put together, so I have to say, compared to my homemade cards, the new ones feel quite superior. (My cardmaking skills have improved with newer PnP's).

I have to agree about the box being top quality. We are avid campers, and card games are our games of choice to take along. It is nice to know that we have a good, sturdy, box for this one, since it will definitely get knocked around during our trips.

A long time ago the game featured paper money and more fiddly pieces. We went to an outdoor concert and I brought my friend's game, GUBS. I noticed that GUBS fit in my backpack and could be played anywhere. I went home that evening and re-designed Farmageddon to be travel friendly. One of the best decisions I ever made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TravmacDaddy wrote:
Didn't get my melon seeds, no big deal though, was interested in the game not the seeds, cards look great, can't wait to give it a go.

Travis -- send me a quick message. We'll get you those seeds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine arrived in Baltimore today. It's a shame last night was game night, so this will have to wait until next week, but I'm looking forward to it. I've seen higher quality cards, but for a game I spent $12 (and close to $3 of that was shipping) on and I'll be getting an expansion later, I can't really complain. It's only the second thing I've received off Kickstarter so it's good to see the system working.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.J.
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine in Northern California... it looks great!

Grant/Phil: I am shocked you guys didn't include, in addition to the seeds, some tissue for all of the people crying (still!) about the stores getting it a little bit earlier than Kickstarter backers (a week or two).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis O'Connor
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
TravmacDaddy wrote:

Travis -- send me a quick message. We'll get you those seeds.

It's cool, I don't need them, thanks though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine, too! The cards feel great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
Got mine today. My cards were bowed quite a bit, they are currently sitting in my card press to help flatten them out. (Nice tool from when I used to be into card tricks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
breakaway11 wrote:
I got mine in Northern California... it looks great!

Grant/Phil: I am shocked you guys didn't include, in addition to the seeds, some tissue for all of the people crying (still!) about the stores getting it a little bit earlier than Kickstarter backers (a week or two).

Really, a bit earlier? Mine has not shipped yet, and won't for another week, yet I could go online or to a game store (in Canada) and pick it up.

So let's review, the people that subsidized the game are the ones that get to wait for it. I will be waiting a month after the release date to get it. How is that "a bit earlier"?

Would you like to know the word that gets used for people like you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Minnen
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Belgium. I got mine today :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got mine today in Norway. Got the same bent cards as others have reported, but I'm sure that will work itself out.

Looks like the manufacturer has been a little rough in handling the cards. The card on top of each of the decks both have visible scratches. Haven't played the game yet though, so I don't know if it has any significant impact on gameplay if you know that the top card is a melon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rune wrote:
Got mine today in Norway. Got the same bent cards as others have reported, but I'm sure that will work itself out.

Looks like the manufacturer has been a little rough in handling the cards. The card on top of each of the decks both have visible scratches. Haven't played the game yet though, so I don't know if it has any significant impact on gameplay if you know that the top card is a melon.

There are 20 Wheats, 18 Corns, 12 melons, and 10 Squash in the deck. So, if someone is focused enough to note a Melon is coming up, it'll have a negligible impact on the game. It'd be a little more worrisome with an Action card, but again, not a HUGE impact.

I'm really disappointed that so many of you are having these problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.