Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Johnson
United States
Howey-in-the-Hills
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very new to Dominion (a friend has the original game without any expansions). I just found out about the base set today. I see that one may buy Hinterlands or Prosperity in addition to the new base card expansion and have a playable game without having purchased the original game.

Is this true for ANY of the expansions? Alchemy? Cornucopia? The upcoming Dark Ages?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Thurlow
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Yes. You can buy the base card expansion and any card set and still be able to play a game of Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
GenWashingMachine wrote:
I am very new to Dominion (a friend has the original game without any expansions). I just found out about the base set today. I see that one may buy Hinterlands or Prosperity in addition to the new base card expansion and have a playable game without having purchased the original game.

Is this true for ANY of the expansions? Alchemy? Cornucopia? The upcoming Dark Ages?

The only thing you won't have would be the basic rules and those can be found online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
It's technically true for any expansion, but I wouldn't recommend doing it for Alchemy or Cornucopia - the game would stale if you only had 13 Kingdoms and used 10 of them each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This wouldn't work very well with Alchemy. 8-10 potion costers can be fun once but it doesn't really work well. I wouldn't recommend corncutopia either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Smith
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
GenWashingMachine wrote:

While you technically could, the only set that was really meant to be played standalone besides the original Base and Intrigue is Prosperity. You can play with just other sets alone, but don't expect the play to feel right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
amuzulo wrote:
GenWashingMachine wrote:

While you technically could, the only set that was really meant to be played standalone besides the original Base and Intrigue is Prosperity. You can play with just other sets alone, but don't expect the play to feel right.

Umm ... I've never seen this stated anywhere.

I'm sure Donald X. said that Hinterlands was, at one stage, going to be published as a standalone (i.e. with basic supply cards) and that the suggested kingdoms were designed with that in mind, but I have never heard it about any of the other expansions.

I would think that playing with the base cards and just Alchemy or Conucopia would be odd - Alchemy has too many Potion cards, which are intended to be in lesser proportion, and I'm not sure that Cornucopia's basis on variety would work as well with just a small set.

In principal any of the other sets should be playable on their own with the Base Cards, but bear in mind that Prosperity has no 2$ cards and so would have a different feel, and Dark Ages looks as though it will be a more complex expansion (and thus intended for those already familiar with Dominion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
churchmouse wrote:
[q="amuzulo"]
In principal any of the other sets should be playable on their own with the Base Cards, but bear in mind that Prosperity has no 2$ cards and so would have a different feel, and Dark Ages looks as though it will be a more complex expansion (and thus intended for those already familiar with Dominion).

I wouldn't recommend Hinterlands as a beginners set either. It's my favourite because of the complex interactions, but it does work better when you have the basics under control.

Prosperity would probably be my recommendation for a 'standalone' expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can definitely buy the base cards + any expansion and play; however if you're very new to the game your best bet is to go with Intrigue or original Dominion for both value (cards per dollar) and because the kingdom cards they come with are the foundation for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
GenWashingMachine wrote:

The large sets are all supposed to play reasonably well by themselves. I knew that when some people first bought an expansion, they would play it by itself in order to see nothing but exciting new cards, so it's something I paid attention to. And I have played each of the large expansions by itself many times.

So, you could buy just Base Cards and either Seaside, Prosperity, Hinterlands, or Dark Ages, and do fine. It will not be as good of an introduction as the main set or Intrigue, but if you know the game it will play as well or better.

The small sets, Alchemy and Cornucopia, are too small for this. You will see the same card combinations game after game. You would have enough cards if you got Base Cards with both Alchemy and Cornucopia, and that would probably work okay, but I did not specifically try to make that work.

As has been noted, the rulebooks are all online in .pdf format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I'm wondering is if there are gonna be new Victory and/or treasure cards in upcoming sets will they have "old" art or "base set expansion" art? Or possibly both??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said Alchemy and Cornucopia would probably grow stale pretty quickly. Dark Ages is supposed to be the largest expansion yet, so that would probably be a good set to start with just the base cards if you wanted. If not, Prosperity, Seaside, and Hinterlands are all fantastic. To be honest though I've viewed the base cards as more of an option for only a few crowds.

1) People who didn't sleeve, and therefore their base cards are battered and bruised, but their kingdom cards are in decent shape so they want replacements.

2) Those who want to play a 5-6 player game, or 2+ 2-4 player games, but don't want to buy Vanilla or Intrigue.

3) Those who host tournaments and are in dire need of more base cards.

4) People who have a friend with the base set and want to own something Dominion, but don't want to buy a standalone set and overlap.

If you're just starting out, there's not a whole lot of reason to not just grab the base game, unless you are big on the Base Cards art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Smith
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
churchmouse wrote:
amuzulo wrote:
GenWashingMachine wrote:

Umm ... I've never seen this stated anywhere.

I'm sure Donald X. said that Hinterlands was, at one stage, going to be published as a standalone (i.e. with basic supply cards) and that the suggested kingdoms were designed with that in mind, but I have never heard it about any of the other expansions.

I would think that playing with the base cards and just Alchemy or Conucopia would be odd - Alchemy has too many Potion cards, which are intended to be in lesser proportion, and I'm not sure that Cornucopia's basis on variety would work as well with just a small set.

Hmm, I seem to remember reading this somewhere, but now I don't remember where. I do know that the experience can be a bit too exotic when playing with any set by itself besides Base, Intrigue or Prosperity, but I'll just say now that that's my own personal opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Knutsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PhoenixPez wrote:

1) People who didn't sleeve, and therefore their base cards are battered and bruised, but their kingdom cards are in decent shape so they want replacements.

2) Those who want to play a 5-6 player game, or 2+ 2-4 player games, but don't want to buy Vanilla or Intrigue.

4) People who have a friend with the base set and want to own something Dominion, but don't want to buy a standalone set and overlap.

5) People who collect every Dominion card puplished.

6) People who think the new base cards look really cool (and/or are easier to play with because of tha artwork) and want therefore to play with them instead of the old base cards.

(I'm 3, 5 and 6.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
churchmouse wrote:
In principal any of the other sets should be playable on their own with the Base Cards, but bear in mind that Prosperity has no 2$ cards and so would have a different feel

Good point. I regularly demo Dominion to new players, while attempting to play with the more advanced sets to keep the experienced ones interested. Seaside has a good range of card costs, and its Duration mechanic isn't *that* complicated. So I would recommend it as a good set to go along with the Base Cards expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PunchBall wrote:
PhoenixPez wrote:

6) People who think the new base cards look really cool (and/or are easier to play with because of tha artwork) and want therefore to play with them instead of the old base cards.

(I'm 3, 4 and 5.)

I'm 5 and 6, myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Knutsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
PunchBall wrote:

(I'm 3, 4 and 5.)

I'm 5 and 6, myself.

Whoops, made a mistake. I'm also 5 and 6. (Why else would I add them?). Meant to write 3, 5 and 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.