Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Reynolds
United Kingdom
Brackley
Northants
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have A Few Acres of Snow, Washington's War, and 1812 the invasion of Canada. So for the American Civil War, what would be a good choice for the same strategic level game as those three?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the games mentioned, the obvious choice would be For the People. Outstanding CDG version of the ACW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
DownriverRick wrote:
Based on the games mentioned, the obvious choice would be For the People. Outstanding CDG version of the ACW.

It is, though more complex than the three above.

Also a nod to the best strategic ACW game ever, The Civil War, but it's long out of print so you'd have to find a used copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the People is also out of print
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
SCUGrad wrote:

Oh, darn. Then I guess the only choice will be A House Divided, which is about to go into its fourth printing (available for preorder from Mayfair Games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"For the People is also out of print"

But not difficult to pickup (10 copies for sale and nearly ninety for trade here on the Geek).

I wouldn't waste my time with 'House Divided'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
SCUGrad wrote:

Out of print yet easy to get. Also my recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

Also a nod to the best strategic ACW game ever, The Civil War, but it's long out of print so you'd have to find a used copy.

Concur. There are a lot of copies around, and they do come up for sale with reasonable frequency. The WGA unofficial 3rd edition rules, which can be found in the files section on the game page here at BGG, are an improvement on an already excellent game. There is also an excellent Vassal module and a very active pbem crowd that usually connects via Consimworld.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decision games is thinking of doing an American Civil War game using the same system as Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg!, Axis Empires: Dai Senso! and Storm of Steel

I patiently await ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeb123 wrote:
Decision games is thinking of doing an American Civil War game using the same system as Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg!, Axis Empires: Dai Senso! and Storm of Steel

Storm of Steel is NOT the same system as AETK/AEDS. Not remotely the same...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally found VG's The Civil War overwhelming, but then again I got it when I was 12 and was trying to learn it solo. I LOVE For the People though. Also I am quite fond of Blue vs. Gray which is very interesting, but has rules that are just unique, not hard to play once you learn them, just it's not like any other wargame, so it's a little less smooth to pick up.

Also the game C.S.A. America's Civil War 1861-1865 gets points for being a unique look at the war, and packing a HUGE amount of little details and options into a very small game. The combat system is so different that it might take you a few battles before you understand how to plan a fight out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, Lincoln's War is apparently still going through final playtesting, but has a ways to go from its preorder numbers to see it in print.

Quote:
A card driven Civil War game that is less complex than For the People, but more detailed than the Price of Freedom. The map uses hexes of approximately 70-80-miles across. With exceptions for certain commanders, combat is without dice.

From what I've read about it, it's really got an interesting political angle to it, involving quite a bit of historical players you don't see in other games.

Shamelessly lifted from MMP's website:

Quote:
Lincoln’s War is a two to four player, “broad strokes” political approach to the Civil War, covering the 1861 call to arms through the fateful 1864 Presidential election. Political but no less combative, Lincoln’s War offers a unique, dice-less combat system, the introduction of 132 military and political personality cards—including 14 seditious characters, the challenge of juggling political resources (essentially victory points) to conducting military campaigns while maintaining national morale, make Lincoln’s War a delightfully fresh approach to the American Civil War.

Lincoln’s War is a card driven, hex-movement game lasting seven turns representing six months. Lincoln’s War takes two to three hours to play.

Each turn consists of six alternating phases: Initiative; Administration; Naval and Rail; Operations Card play; Supply; and Timekeeping.

Each turn, players are dealt a nine card hand they must use to make a myriad of decisions, including: banking political capitol, undermining the enemy’s moral, issuing marching orders, nudging reluctant generals into action, initiating battle, promoting worthy leaders, repairing battle damage, investing in a naval strategy, or setting political capitol aside to support the combat of favored generals. You, as the players, do all this, while dealing with seditious countrymen who erode your political support.

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/tabid/58/CategoryID/2/Prod...

So, maybe you'll see that over the horizon (2013?) as an alternative strategic-level ACW CDG to consider.

***Disclaimer****
This post was solely a public service announcement for the topic.

MMP-bashing is unwarranted in this thread, poor form, and I shant appreciate it. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the yet-to-be-released Lincoln's War will scratch that itch for you.

Edit: Beat me by 20-seconds to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Wagnon
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Cybertronic: Superior by design.
mbmbmbmbmb
arthurchance wrote:
Have A Few Acres of Snow, Washington's War, and 1812 the invasion of Canada. So for the American Civil War, what would be a good choice for the same strategic level game as those three?

For the People is an excellent choice. Still lurking on the shelves at countless game stores, and I suspect GMT will do a reprint. Or, you can buy or trade for one of the copies listed on BGG.

The biggest advantage to this game will be the similarity to Washington's War. Similar mechanic, and you will probably find it easy to pick up.

I have played quite a few games of this classic, and think you would probably enjoy it, based on the three games you have listed above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though For the People & The Civil War are great games, if the OP likes the games he has listed and the level of difficulty to play they represent, A House Divided looks to be a better choice.
The play difficulty and time required of For the People & The Civil War puts them way over any of the 3 games listed, which are on the lighter end of the war game scale.
I guess it is up to the OP how heavy of a game he wants and the play time he wants it to play in.

I also agree that Lincoln's War just might be what we are waiting for. There is also The Price of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865, but it really has not received much buzz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottH wrote:
Though For the People & The Civil War are great games, if the OP likes the games he as listed and the level of difficulty to play they represent, A House Divided looks to be a better choice.
The play difficulty and time required of For the People & The Civil War puts them way over any of the 3 games listed, which are on the lighter end of the war game scale.

This. +1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will resist my first impulse which was to say only "Case Blue" and leave.

Instead for the ultimate in complexity and accuracy I'll say it's ACW representative, War Between The States (second edition).

But yeah.... Wendell was right. The best choice for a truer wargame experience would be The Civil War. WBtS is for the grognards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
xlhrider wrote:

Instead for the ultimate in complexity and accuracy I'll say it's ACW representative, War Between The States (second edition).

But yeah.... Wendell was right. The best choice for a truer wargame experience would be The Civil War. WBtS is for the grognards.

Ditto, and another plug here for the little known C.S.A. America's Civil War 1861-1865
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lavoie
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
xlhrider wrote:

Ditto, and another plug here for the little known C.S.A. America's Civil War 1861-1865

Another voice added to the chorus. +1 and thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools

It's a bit different from the games mentioned before, but Blue vs. Gray is a fun game and a good simulation of the conflict
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
jeb123 wrote:

Storm of Steel is NOT the same system as AETK/AEDS. Not remotely the same...

My mistake ...

It is based on Axis Empire: Total Krieg/Dai Senso
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cameron
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I suggest you consider Bobby Lee, the best Civil War block game ever made!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
While 'moi' shall 'counter-suggest' with thus: The Vicksburg Campaign cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Siso
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
Praise the sun!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll go for The Civil War. Oldie, a bit ugly but maybe the best strategic ACW boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xlhrider wrote:

In that case:

Case Blue and Gray
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.