Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a thread about the cost of FFG Lieutenant miniatures ($10 apiece), so I figure I'd mention the Reaper Bones Miniatures Kickstarter, ending August 25th.

While the Bones miniatures offered in this Kickstarter are *not* exact matches to the D2E lieutenant and villagers, they're a pretty goodfit. Proxying the male and female human lieutenants (not to mention heroes) is easy. However, for the more exotic lieutenants, I suggesting proxying a miniature that has the same *abilities*. For example, Balthazor (sp) is a humanoid dragon. The Bones selections offered in the Kickstarter has no such figure. However, his abilities are Flight and Poison. So the BBEG demoness figure, with demon wings and a whip, can be a suitable substitute.

As for the villagers, the Bones Kickstarter has a set of five townsfolk. However, their personalities match better folks in a tavern or town, more than frightened villagers in the quests. You can sort of use them as proxies for the villager tokens in D&D Wrath of Ashardalon (no proxy for the Snort token, tho!). You might also find a miniature for an objective token, such as a gravestone.

At $100 for 100+ miniatures, you won't be buying them if you *only* are looking for Descent proxies. The scale is larger than the Descent 2E heroes, so you may end up proxying the heroes as well. Still, if you play D&D, Return of the Heroes, or Prophecy, you can use these mini's in those games as well. Also, unlike boardgame plastic mini's, these mini's take paint well. They don't need priming, so a simple brushing of brown paint thinned with water will bring out the details.

Take a look at the website for details, including $18 for a 12-color Reaper paint set.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd wait until the bones miniatures are actually available to mass market. The Kickstarter is done to do that. At about $2-$4 per minis it's great.

I don't need all the extras. But if you're a miniatures/RPG players that do need those miniatures, then the Kickstarter is a great deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Martin
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
Or you could buy the kickstarter set, keep everything you will use in any of your games, and sell the rest to make a net profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey
South Korea
Chungju
Chungbuk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They have some fish people at this point and one of the new goals has 2 lizardmen, a snakeman and a troll. Also they've made it so you can switch Sofie out for 25$ in other minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain BONNEAU
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
miar wrote:
They have some fish people at this point and one of the new goals has 2 lizardmen, a snakeman and a troll. Also they've made it so you can switch Sofie out for 25$ in other minis.

Hey, that's cool: I can trade Sophie for a second orcs tribe!
This kickstarter is a no-brainer, really.

--
Buggy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.