Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played WITH Frankencrops; I'd watched Tom Vasel's review last night where he said go ahead an throw 'em in, unless playing with kids or something.

We enjoyed it quite a bit! I was hesitant, at first, to throw down Thresher after Thresher; that may have been the difference, as he won, 74 to 67. That's partly because I was winning by a large amount, through the first half of the game, and after one or two threshers on him, felt kinda guilty.

I don't feel guilty anymore! I'm wreaking complete and total havoc next time (I did alot of that this time, but it takes me some time to settle into the mindset of any particular take that game, when I haven't played it before.)

He Dust Bowl-ed me over twice! Once, it destroyed one of his crops (the other was saved due to a Foul Manure I'd played on it just the turn before; d'oh!). The net positive for him there, however, was it destroyed a $15 value crop of mine, and only a $10 value crop of his, so it was still to his advantage to do that.

That brings up another thing; in a 2-player game, whomever of us had two of the three plots planted, felt more exposed to threats, although also had a chance of racking up points faster. I really like this teetering feeling; which way will it tip, for me or against me?

I played a nice combo (I'm a casual game player and am not the best at finding or maximizing a billion combos, like Dominion has). He'd plopped down a Genetic Superworm on a 3-fertilizer crop I think, which reduces the required fertilizer for that crop by half (round down). I then on my turn played a Foreclosure on him, which has you pay another player half the required fertilizer for the crop you're stealing from him (round up). So, his superworm reduced his fertilizer requirement for the crop down to one because you round the 3 down to 2, and my Foreclosure would have reduced it to half a fertilizer, but you round up, so I still paid him one.*

I eventually Foul Manure-d myself into a corner (yeah, let's shout that one out to the world, heh!) and next turn ended up having to fertilize his crop, which allowed him to harvest it as soon as my turn was over. It's one of those situations where you go, "Why on earth did I ever do THAT?"

One of those for him was that Superworm thing; he realized later he should have played it at the beginning of his next turn . . . I was happy to have taught him that lesson, though (evil laugh here.devil) Later in the game he had an evil chuckle after drawing a particular card, which he then inflicted on me (I'm writing this session from memory, and I can't remember the card, but it was baaad for me!)

Edited for typo and *
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*I played Foreclosure on his Genetic Superwormed crop a bit wrong. You can play it, but it doesn't further reduce the fertilizer cost that Genetic Superworm has reduced some for the owner. It reduces from the base crop (unmodified) value.

It was still a nice combo to play it though because this crop had 1 fertilizer on it, and because of Genetic Superworm, it only needed one (he played all that on it the turn he planted, and so couldn't harvest yet). So I stole a very easy to harvest crop!

The question on this play was answered here.

Our second game came out at 88 to 86, my husband winning again.

Next game, I'm going to alter strategy and go for more of the medium and lower point crops, since they need fewer fertilizers and will thus get harvested faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the light, quick crops and lots of tactical flexibility. You will probably need at least one Wary or Grumpy to seal your victory. I lost in two player yesterday 82:81!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Kilcrease
United States
SLC
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The big crops tend to draw ire from the table, but Foul Manure helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.