Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
paul lieberman
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't understand the purpose of putting a blank sticker on the monks. Why not just leave the monks without a sticker? It is also interesting to note that the version of the rules in the files section states that the monk stickers have a cross on them. The rules that came with my game state the stickers are blank. My stickers do not have a cross. I have not yet read the rules. Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
This puzzled me too, but I've come to realize it may be so that an unscrupulous person can't differentiate the monks from the family members when drawing from the bag.

edit: Mine are clear, too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
polychrotid wrote:
This puzzled me too, but I've come to realize it may be so that an unscrupulous person can't differentiate the monks from the family members when drawing from the bag.

it is for that said reason

if a person really wanted to, they could feel the meeple to see if it has the smooth feel of the sticker or not and then they will know if it is or isnt a monk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:

Yup. This way all meeples will feel the same when blind drawing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul lieberman
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes now i realize that you can feel the sticker if you slide your fingers on the pieces. The rules do mention that is the reason for the blank stickers on the monks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the many attentions to production detail that really impressed me with this game. Can't praise it highly enough. I could totally see other companies either not anticipating that happening or not even thinking of it. These guys know games, gamers and how gamers like to game the system devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please don't touch your monks inappropriately!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too wondered about the clear stickers for the monks. I can see how with play, as stickers start to come off a bit, this could be an issue. This actually shows some foresight on the behalf of the designers.

Now my first thought was nice fricking joke. You just put 88 stickers on the other pieces and you now have to put these clear ones on the monks. I thought it was rather funny - sort of a conditioning experiment.

As for game play, I didn't see it as an issue at all. With much play, I suppose it could become an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Perrins
United Kingdom
Benson
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dispensed with the stickers and used a marker pen. Had the whole lot numbered up in about 10 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you have penmanship then sure, that is DEFINITELY the way to go. Alas I paint far better than I write numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ehlers
msg tools
mbmbmb
I thought about going this route, but the stickers go on pretty cleanly. Even with my greasy fingerprints on the gummed side, the clear part of the stickers are only really visible in strong sidelighting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have decided:

I will use the stickers for now, but will use a marker when the stickers come off.

Also, to gain the bonus points, I will use a marker with gold glitter ink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tseng
Taiwan
Hsinchu City
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The first edition did have cross mark on monk's sticker

(from Becienz)

But the sticker is "opaque", and you will see ugly meeples after they wear the number...

(from Becienz)

In the latest edition, they changes the sticker to "transparent", so you don't know the meeples have sticker on them (maybe.....)

(from MyParadox)

But it's useless to print the cross on monk's sticker, because monk meeple is black....

So, they decide let it be blank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy #!
fr014371 wrote:

But it's useless to print the cross on monk's sticker, because monk meeple is black....

Surely a white cross would make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:
fr014371 wrote:

Surely a white cross would make sense?

Perhaps the printer being used wasn't capable of printing white. Or maybe it would have been an upcharge to print white.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian N
msg tools
JohnnyDollar wrote:
This is one of the many attentions to production detail that really impressed me with this game. Can't praise it highly enough. I could totally see other companies either not anticipating that happening or not even thinking of it. These guys know games, gamers and how gamers like to game the system devil

Indeed. How I wish the attention to detail in the design had been carried over to the quality control in production - one of my meeples arrived minus one whole side (try disguising THAT in a bag!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.