Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Statue (treasure) and Sarcophagus (monster) cards behave very similarly. Each acts like an unkillable monster in the initial combat round, but goes away after that.

Statue: "Move it to the graveyard at the end of the first combat."

Sarcophagus: "After the first round of combat move sarcophagus to the graveyard."

My question is: Do either or both of them inflict damage at the end of the round, before being moved to the graveyard?

Taking the sarcophagus first, it seems like it would have to cause a point of damage. It is in the monster deck, and if it doesn't cause damage, it seems like too much of a free gift.

The statue, however, was a treasure. So why is a treasure inflicting damage on you, and if it does, could you choose NOT to invoke its power, and simply discard it instead of including it in the next encounter? On the other hand, even if it does inflict damage, it usually saves you from a worse monster or trap, and you do get a treasure the following round for having killed it.

If either of them don't cause damage, why is it worded to keep them in the encounter for a round? Wouldn't it be simpler to just move them straight to the graveyard immediately?

So I think both should cause damage, but I don't see an airtight argument either way, so a clarification would be much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kline
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your interest in Quick Quest.

The idea behind both the statue and sarcophagus cards was that they are initially mistaken as being monsters by the adventurers. So they fill encounter slots for the level but are really just extra treasures.

They deal no damage; they just serve as place holders for the monsters that would have been there, and as a result, satisfy the level’s required encounter number. Moving them to the graveyard along with the first round kills was done just to keep the combat structure the same.

It becomes a matter of preference of course. Nothing’s stopping you from moving the Statue or Sarcophagus to the graveyard immediately if you prefer. There’s nothing in the game currently that would be affected if you choose to do so.

I made the Sarcophagus after I made the Assassin. I think I wanted to give the player/players a ‘free gift’ after making a card that deals a point just for coming into play. It is possible to play a game without drawing the Sarcophagus- so it is a nice little gift when it does show up.

Hope that helps clear things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification and the thinking behind it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.