Edwin Twentier
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
So, I've seen people wondering about the power level of the one ofs, we see 1 new one of in the article on Household Names.

SanSan City Grid is solid, but at 6, I think it might be a bit expensive to run more than 1 in any given deck. Data Raven is a 3 of, and at a cost of 4, is a ridiculous card in the opinion of most, and it's a 3 of in the core set,
I wouldn't mind having a second playset of those. It's also worth 2 points of influence. A fairly easy inclusion in a lot of Decks, even out of NBN I would think, so I wouldn't mind having extras lying around.

Overall I think I'll end up with two of the core sets if the power level of the cards remains similar to what we've seen already.

EDIT : Edited to make my points clearer and clean up the wording, dunno what I was thinking with my post earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope people realize what you're saying here.

If there's only one of a card in the core set, then you probably really don't want more than one or two of that card in your deck because it is too costly, too specifically useful or otherwise has reasons that it's not as valuable as other cards you are getting x2 or x3 of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SanSan city is a good example of a card where you might put two in a deck, but plan on having one in play. The second means:

* Statistically speaking, it "doubles" the chance if getting it when you need it
* You can afford to discard one which comes too early
* You can potentially replace a trashed one

With a "no more than two in play" card the same logic says you probably want three in your deck.

The real numbers are influenced by the availability of "discard retrieval" cards (Corp has at least one), tutors, etc, but there will be plenty of situations where it will be attractive to add an "extra" copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
I really hope people realize what you're saying here.

If there's only one of a card in the core set, then you probably really don't want more than one or two of that card in your deck because it is too costly, too specifically useful or otherwise has reasons that it's not as valuable as other cards you are getting x2 or x3 of.

I really like that hypothesis. Once we have knowledge of the entire cardset, it will be very interesting to see if all cards only included in one copy fits that description.
Considering the debate about lumpy distribution going all the way back to the early LCGs, I think it would be a sign of good game design if it turns out to be this way.
If it turns out there is a bunch of one-copy cards that you'd always want three of, then I think it would be a sign of a clever marketing ploy

At any rate, it's going to be very interesting to see the complete card lists with "rarities".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
You *can* have multiple copies of SanSan in play, just not in the same server.

It's expensive and the effect is such that you probably wouldn't want to play it that way... but you could.

I generally would've ignored it completely (like I did its classic version) but with fast advancement being made less direct over all, it deserves a second look. And with Regions no longer requiring to be rezzed on installation, it deserves a third.

Install SanSan unrezzed in an iced fort at end of your turn.

Runner's turn - two things could happen:
Runner ignores it and SanSan stays.
Runner runs it and trashes it at a cost of 5 credits.

If the runner trashes it, you've costed him 5 cr for 1 click. Not a bad consolation prize.

If the runner ignores it, you rez it at the start of your turn and install, advance x2 and score Astroscript program.

Next turn, if the runner has still left it where it is, you install breaking news, use astroscript to score it, install another astroscript, play psychographics and score it.

Next turn, if the runner has trashed it, you just install astroscript and score it in one turn with the previous one.

Not having to rez it on installation really reduces the risk of playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Trent
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That does look like a very ideal sort of NBN plan.

'What data fort? We're entirely up front with everything we do. Evil hackers prey on journalists at 11!'

I'm still not sure its worth putting 3x SanSan in the deck, but at least two deserve to go in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.