Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the Aug/Sept '39 seasonal turn. Britain/France are still in appeasement, and western minors under Locarno. Belgium/Netherlands is an active Western Minor due to earlier diplomacy. Nazi-Soviet pact in effect. Nobody has any influence in Poland.

Germany's card is Demand Polish Corridor. German roll is a 2, modified to 1 for Allied Crusade, and Poland resists (15.7).

So first thing is determine Poland's alignment and posture. Per 13.5 I get to priority 5, and the Axis decides Poland will be Western. Then in 13.6.1.2, the Treaty of Locarno posture ends due to the Country Resists (15.7). That does NOT affect Britain or France though because they are in appeasement; that policy doesn't end.

I then roll on the International Crisis Table; roll 3-1=2 gives 15.24, Military Victory. I remove a couple of German infantry, and I apply 15.3, Ceded Land. This gives Poland a Western Influence marker, and Germany's Polish Corridor Ceded marker is placed. And all Outbreak of War counters go to the Delay Box.

So - is all of the above right?

And - now what? Germany has the Polish Corridor. But it isn't at war with Poland, right? Poland is NOT a Western Minor Country because it isn't active, right?

So how does Germany attack Poland? It can't declare war until Limited War is in effect, so when in Nov/Dec Germany plays German Mobilization (card 5), that ends prewar and Germany can declare war on Poland during the War & Peace segment?

And further - is Germany now at war with Belgium-Netherlands? After all it's a Western Minor, and their posture is WAR! Did Belg-Neth really declare war on Germany over the Polish corridor without Britain or France to help?

Yes, I'm confused. Any clarification appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) According to 15.19 Belgium should still be under Locarno.

2) Are you sure the Western Allies did never play their Guarantees card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephan Valkyser wrote:
1) According to 15.19 Belgium should still be under Locarno.

2) Are you sure the Western Allies did never play their Guarantees card?
(Rummages thru my pile of played cards.) There's my error - they DID play the guarantee. So Belgium's covered, and all are at war. I knew I had to be missing something!

But still - no war with Poland because of the ceded land, correct? Not until Germany declares war in a subsequent War & Peace segment, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
It's the Aug/Sept '39 seasonal turn. Britain/France are still in appeasement, and western minors under Locarno. Belgium/Netherlands is an active Western Minor due to earlier diplomacy. Nazi-Soviet pact in effect. Nobody has any influence in Poland.

Germany's card is Demand Polish Corridor. German roll is a 2, modified to 1 for Allied Crusade, and Poland resists (15.7).

So first things is determine Poland's alignment and posture. Per 13.5 I get to priority 5, and the Axis decides Poland will be Western. Then in 13.6.1.2, the Treaty of Locarno posture ends due to the Country Resists (15.7). That does NOT affect Britain or France though because they are in appeasement; that posture doesn't end.
Take a look at "Country Resists (15.7)". If the minor country is Cordon or Locarno, you roll on the I.C. table. That's it. The minors country policy doesn't end. Chamberlain doesn't want another war, so his policy of Appeasement basically means letting Hitler go with his demands. When western policies changes to guarantees, they are ready to support minor countries threatened by Germany.

wifwendell wrote:

I then roll on the International Crisis Table; roll 3-1=2 gives 15.24, Military Victory. I remove a couple of German infantry, and I apply 15.3, Ceded Land. This gives Poland a Western Influence marker, and Germany's Polish Corridor Ceded marker is placed. And all Outbreak of War counters go to the Delay Box.

So - is all of the above right?
This seems right to me.

wifwendell wrote:

And - now what? Germany has the Polish Corridor. But it isn't at war with Poland, right? Poland is NOT a Western Minor Country because it isn't active, right?
Western minors policy of Locarno should remain in place. If western minors policy had been Guarantees, 15.7 would require the policy to end and Poland to be activated.

France would then be also at war, since probably french policy would also be guarantees and France is already an active western country.

Belgium wouldn't be at war since it is not an active country.

Belgium posture would be war, Belgium alignment would be western but Belgium status would be neutral.

The status of a minor country can be any of Neutral, Conquered or Active. Only Active countries are actually fighting a war.

wifwendell wrote:

So how does Germany attack Poland? It can't declare war until Limited War is in effect, so when in Nov/Dec Germany plays German Mobilization (card 5), that ends prewar and Germany can declare war on Poland during the War & Peace segment?

And further - is Germany now at war with Belgium-Netherlands? After all it's a Western Minor, and their posture is WAR! Did Belg-Neth really declare war on Germany over the Polish corridor without Britain or France to help?

Yes, I'm confused. Any clarification appreciated.
The german cards that end Pre-War are 6a Additional mobilization or 6b Western Wall Constructed. Card 5 doesn't trigger LimWar.

If you want to attack Poland, you should probably wait until it has a posture of Guarantees (or Pact), then demand Danzig.

Now you have to play either 6 german card to trigger LimWar, only then you can declare war to Poland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Márquez Linares
Spain
Granada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
But still - no war with Poland because of the ceded land, correct? Not until Germany declares war in a subsequent War & Peace segment, right?
If you rolled "country resists" and the policy was indeed guarantees, then that policy is removed and the Axis is at war with Poland, France and Britain. Limited war is in effect (15.6). The Axis does not get the ceded land marker yet, but the Polish corridor will become part of German when (or if) Poland is conquered (16.1.1, step 4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam The Flim Flam Man

Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
msg tools
Wendell, I would be VERY interested in hearing from you about your time spent playing Axis Empires, and how you compare it to your 'love' of World in Flames. My issue is, and always has been, with world in flames is the counter density (and how strong Italy can be). I'm not really one of those grail searchers who wants THE definitive grand wwII strategy game, but I do enjoy monster, multi theatre games and have since played everything extensively 'except' WiF.

I guess what I'd really be looking for is why has WiF given you such great games as I see from your AAR and your replies to posts. What about it makes it that sweet spot for you, and did you experience any of that magic with Axis Empires?

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aawaslover wrote:
Wendell, I would be VERY interested in hearing from you about your time spent playing Axis Empires, and how you compare it to your 'love' of World in Flames. My issue is, and always has been, with world in flames is the counter density (and how strong Italy can be). I'm not really one of those grail searchers who wants THE definitive grand wwII strategy game, but I do enjoy monster, multi theatre games and have since played everything extensively 'except' WiF.

I guess what I'd really be looking for is why has WiF given you such great games as I see from your AAR and your replies to posts. What about it makes it that sweet spot for you, and did you experience any of that magic with Axis Empires?

Cheers.
What I really like about WIF is what I haven't fully experienced with Axis Empires - the global sweep. WIF does have a lot of counters, though that can be mitigated by carefully selecting options and expansions. But it gives a lot of flexibility to try different things and importantly, though it is huge and moderately complex, it holds together well as a GAME for me. (Though I agree about Italy being too strong.)

I had played Totaler Krieg (v2) a few times and enjoyed it. I also enjoyed my 1.5 solo plays and 1 FTF game of AE:TK. Very much. When I finished my second solo play, I very nearly set up another one - so that's a good sign. But I haven't played AE: Dai Senso (partly due to doubts about how AE's air/naval system would work in the Pacific) yet so I'm perhaps not qualified to compare Axis Empires as a GLOBAL grand strategic WW2 game to WIF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam The Flim Flam Man

Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
msg tools
Thank you very much for the response. I have played Axis Empires around 8 times now FtF, all games going over 40+ hours (full campaigns) but Dai Senso only once solo....so I cannot give much insight into the GLOBAL war, although you cannot really move pieces from one map to another. So that would be a significant difference that I could see.

Do you ever play WiF over Vassal that might be able to be spied on? I'd love to see the game in 'action' and see how it flows. I LOVE the idea of variable turn length....so let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aawaslover wrote:
Do you ever play WiF over Vassal that might be able to be spied on? I'd love to see the game in 'action' and see how it flows. I LOVE the idea of variable turn length....so let me know!
I'm not currently in a Vassal WIF game - but if you go to the Vassal room for WIF on an evening you have a fair chance of coming across a game. If you ask nicely most players are glad to let somebody synch up and watch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls