Subject: Anybody won mission #1? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Seale
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
We simply cannot get mission 1 completed. We run out of Walkers (even with the extra pack from the Kickstarter) then they all get extra turns and we're toast. Granted, we had some spectacularly bad dice rolls, but not enough to swing the balance...zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Seale
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sigh... After scouring the rules knowing something felt off, I forgot the rule about not spawning on manholes with no survivor on the tile. HUGE difference on that 3x3 map with 7 or 8 manhole covers... blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
as i mention in my long post/mini-review here (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/839602/ahhhh-zombies-are-her...), i made a few mistakes rules-wise that probably helped us win... but that said, i thought i might tell you HOW we won since it was still tight.
we started with 6 survivors (3 players playing 2 each). we lost our powerhouse El Cholo early when a bad dice roll left him at the mercy of a Runner who attacked him twice. later, Phil and Amy were surrounded by Walkers who were going to kill both during the Zombie phase, so Phil tried to shoot his way through the horde (shooting and killing Amy in the process because she was in the same Zone), but, again, dice rolls sealed his fate and he fell. This left us with Ned, Dave and Josh, who were alread converging at the corner where you have to turn towards the exit, but which goes right by a Spawn point. Basically, we stationed Josh outside while Ned and Dave popped into the house nearby using flashlights to look for water (we already had the canned foods and bag of rice thanks to Ned's free searching). They would pop back out again when Josh needed help, Dave's Molotovs being really helpful here. Once we finally found the water, we gave everything to Dave, who used his Slippery mechanic to slip past the Runners who had spawned. With both Ned and Josh left behind (two noise+gunfire noise), the Runners would move towards them, leaving Dave (one noise) free to stroll to the exit.
so, contrary to expectations, Dave was the MVP here, those Molotovs being very good at thinning the hordes if used carefully PLUS his Slippery mechanic allowing him to get into good position efficiently. the other MVP was NOISE. the Zombies are dumb. using noise to fool them and lure them was the deciding factor in many situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew S
United States
California
flag msg tools
I would have to agree with the molotovs. I played this solo and tried to keep each player around the same experience level. I sent stealthy Josh to search for the materials and he found two and also the stuff to make molotov. I was almost doomed until Nick gained slippery as well and was able to run away. I used Josh as a decoy to draw the 20 or so walkers/fatties and abomination then he used the molotov to wipe out horde. Only Nick and Josh escaped due to slippery.

Upon playing the first level, I feel I could open all the doors earlier. Short term difficult but I won't have 100 zombies when I open the door later.

One thing I did think was since I had another Abomination should I split him when the other zombies do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, that was another question i had. i thought i remembered that Zombies spawn in a building when you first open the door, but i couldn't find this in the rules. am i thinking of another game, or am i missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew - Molotovs don't go into the deck to be drawn, unfortunately. They are there only to show that you combined the ingredients.

Don - Zombies spawning by opening a Door is on page 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew S
United States
California
flag msg tools
I did say that Josh created the molotov.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks. knew i'd seen that somewhere.
boy, that made our runthrough a lot easier. i can't wait to try again with all the stuff i missed the first time. should be a lot more tense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mschultz wrote:
I did say that Josh created the molotov.

My bad. I took "he found two" to mean two molotovs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J FREAK
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I played with a group of 5 of us last night. We won with only three wounds being taken and nobody killed. We played as a group the entire time, luring zombies out of rooms, and using one charector with the slippery skill to sneak in behind them and activate the objective points. We got lucky early on and had one player with dual pistols and the plenty of ammo card,one player with dual sawed of shotguns and the plenty of ammo cards, as well as a third player with dual weild SMG's. They were able to mow through zombies pretty good with all of that fire power. The flashlight cards helped alot with searching for the needed items before we could exit. We learned that if you kill as many zombies as you can it is less likley have a shortage when they get to spawn. We disregarded trying to keep everyone in the same color group early on in the game, and the race was on to get to the red in order to get the extra perks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.