Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was really hoping to see a video review or playthrough of this game since there is a copy of it at my local game shop for a pretty good price. But I really want to see how it plays first.

I know there is a subtitled video, but it's not the same.

I mainly want to see how it plays because I'm curious if it can be played solo out of the box.

Anyone planning on making a vid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brewtal_Legend wrote:
I was really hoping to see a video review or playthrough of this game since there is a copy of it at my local game shop for a pretty good price. But I really want to see how it plays first.

I mainly want to see how it plays because I'm curious if it can be played solo out of the box.

Unfortunately the games been OOP for years and video reviews are rather new.

It's a fun game that needs houseruling (so the marines have a chance to win) with the base game. Others have said that the expansion fixes the problems with the base game, but I don't have that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It can't play solo with the written rules, but there is surely a variant listed somewhere here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I figured the rules had to be tweaked. What I meant about bing played solo out of the box was that you could just use the components that come with the game instead of requiring the expansion or requiring to print whole deck of cards or map tiles. Looking to see if it can be played solitaire by just using the in box components and tweaking the rules.

Something like combining it with some the mechanics from Gears of War. Aside from printing ai decks that is. Maybe using the invader deck as the ai deck sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
Brewtal_Legend wrote:

Unfortunately the games been OOP for years and video reviews are rather new.

It's a fun game that needs houseruling (so the marines have a chance to win) with the base game. Others have said that the expansion fixes the problems with the base game, but I don't have that.

It only really needs houseruling if you want the Marines to have an equal chance of winning. Of course, this is Doom, so the marines shouldn't have that good of a chance. The game works great straight out of the box as long as you expect the marines to lose about 70% of the games.

When you manage to win as the marines, you really feel that you have earned your victory.

As for solo, I don't think that overlord vs. player games lend themselves to solo without a lot of effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over on the GoW forums, someone is creating a variant on using Doom tiles/components with GoW rules. Also, there are at least 2 solo variants in the files section.

If it's a good price ($30 or so) I'd buy it for the components. The figs are top notch, and the out-of-the-box gameplay simulates the video game surprisngly well. Just buy it! Buy it now!

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Symons
Belgium
Glabbeek
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:

The problems are fixed by 'difficulty levels' (like in the pc game) that give advantages or handicaps to either the marine or invader player, depending on the difficulty level. These can still be downloaded at FFG's website (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Doom/doommod1....).
I myself have printed and laminated those cards and included them in my base game, since I don't own the expansion either.

Another issue was the 'dud' card in the invader deck, which is fixed in the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SammySnijbonen wrote:
tssfulk wrote:

The problems are fixed by 'difficulty levels' (like in the pc game) that give advantages or handicaps to either the marine or invader player, depending on the difficulty level. These can still be downloaded at FFG's website (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Doom/doommod1....).
I myself have printed and laminated those cards and included them in my base game, since I don't own the expansion either.

Another issue was the 'dud' card in the invader deck, which is fixed in the FAQ.

The dud cards were fixed in the expansion, and they also provided the difficulty level cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Symons
Belgium
Glabbeek
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but it's way easier to download the same difficulty level cards as a .pdf and use the same (new) text for the 'dud' card in the FAQ than to hunt down an OOP expansion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Brewtal_Legend wrote:

Others have answered your solo question, but I thought I'd jump in on the basic game play.

If you're familiar with Descent (either 1 or 2), then you'll have a fairly good idea of how Doom plays. But to me it plays like a "less fiddly" version of Descent. There isn't as much going on with repsect to abilities, surges (there are none), and some of the other stuff that slows Descent down. In Doom you basically play with what you start with, but you can pick up extra weapons, ammo, armor, and health.
But that's about it.

I've got a few games I wish I was playing more often, and this is one of them.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sanz
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish to echo what everyone else has said about solo play. There are fan-made variants out there. But as for out-of-the-box, no, you can't really play it solo with the in-box components. That's what the PC game is for.

If there is a copy of the game available to you locally, I would without hesitation buy it. I am biased as this is my very favorite board game, but I think many will tell you that due to its OOP nature and the fact the it really is a stellar game, you should definitely go snag that copy at your FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.