Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Redstone turns Go into a game of annihilation, which means no more komi. Absent komi, how to balance this thing? Simple pie rule? Is that enough? Something else? Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:

Redstone turns Go into a game of annihilation, which means no more komi. Absent komi, how to balance this thing? Simple pie rule? Is that enough? Something else? Anyone?
Play TriGo with the Redstone rule instead

This may fix the issues I have with TriGo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam R. Wood
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs... I play videogames, which I think is far superior an addiction than any of those other ones.
mbmbmbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:

The official Redstone rules still say "pie rule", but one Bill Spight of the Life In 19x19 forums suggested effectively implementing komi by allowing White to pass their turn some finite quantity of times during the game - a suggestion Mark Steere himself promptly replied to with approval. The consensus seems to be either 2 or 3 passes would be correct. So there's something to try if the pie rule sounds unappealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried Redstone on a square grid (not a TriGo hex grid) with 12*? That is, player 1 on turn 1 plays one stone; thereafter each player plays two stones on his/her turn.

There'd be some clarification needed as to whether the protocol is play-one-stone / resolve effects / play-second-stone / resolve effects or play-both-stones / resolve effects. But that seems likely to be a manageable issue.

If that works it might address the balance issue, and speed the game up. (I've not yet tried the game but on a decent-sized board I can imagine it taking a long time.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.