Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Closed Thanks for stopping by.

My birthday is coming up soon, and so someone is going to get a present from me again this year.

On 7 September, 2012 my personal odometer rolls over again and hits 54.

The wargaming historians among us also know the significance of that day:
200 years ago on 7 September, 1812, Napoleon's Grande Armee clashed with the forces of Imperial Russia in the Battle of Borodino. Napoleon won the battle that day, but his glory would be short lived as a few months later he limped home from Russia with a mere fraction of the more than half a million men who started the journey with. And I thought I had a tough year...

Between losing a job, and getting gainfully re-employed, losing a beloved pet and a good friend, and doing what I can to help friends and family ride out these tough times, I feel that I've certainly had a rough year, but it was a better year on balance than 1812 was for The Emperor. Things are looking up for me now, and I'd like to share a little piece of that good fortune with my fellow Geeks (or at least one of you) here at BGG.

I am now in possession of three copies of Yaquinto's The Great Redoubt by Craig Taylor; one having been partially consumed by a cardboard loving feline, and another I have used to complete the first. That leaves one last lonely game that will never be played as long as it stays with me. This will not do. This game also happens to be in shrink, not bad for a game published in 1979, but I don't believe it is the original shrink. I bought it in a lot from the old Wargames West late of Albuquerque, and they asserted that it was complete, though not necessarily unpunched. If you'd like to find out, simply reply in a post to this thread and I'll put your name in a cup, from which I will draw a name sometime after the 7th of September. If your name is on it, I will box up the game and send it to you, wherever you may be that the mails can reach, my treat.

Include a historical tidbit regarding the Borodino fight and I'll toss in a second chit for you.

Not much for history? Add a picture of a beloved pet of your own, like my Boo,

and I'll stick a chit in the cup for you in its name as well.

Better yet do both! (one pet entry per poster)
Good luck and,
Cheers!

UPDATE:I'm on travel through Saturday and so will conduct the drawing sometime Sunday. Thanks to everyone who replied for all the good wishes, great (often) historical tidbits, and great (always) pics of all of the pets and semi-pets.
Closed. Thanks again to all. A winner will be announced and notified later today.

CONGRATULATIONS!

The Goddess of Luck, that would be my wife, reached into my official ceramic randomization vessel
and pulled forth the chit marked ZombyDawg.
Les Haskell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations Les, the French will be marching your way soon.

Thanks to all of the rest, only 12 months to wait for the next game...cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
An early happy birthday to you!

Borodino Trivia: Sergei Bondarchuk filmed on the actual battlesite over two YEARS to recreate the battle for his epic film, War and Peace.

Sadly, I haven't had a pet since I was 17.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy Birthday! I wish you many healthy years of wargaming happiness.

Here is one of my beloved pets, "Ah Keung" which means "Ginger" in Chinese.

Borodino Trivia:

A few metres from the "Schewardino Redoubt" is the only monument on the battle field dedicated to the French.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larz Welo
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
No more stones. No more spears. No more slings. No more swords. No more weapons! NO MORE SYSTEMS!
badge
You can fire your arrows from the Tower of Babel, but you can never strike God!
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy Birthday!

Borodino trivia: There are a few confusing games from WW2, referring to the Battle at Borodino Field, part of the Battle of Moscow...but for some reason there are no Frenchmen there. surprise

I'd post a photo of my "cat" from Indonesia but to be fair he owned me more thanI ever owned him. A;so, it was so ugly I'm afraid you'd take my chit away! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
Borodino is also known as Jabberwocky: "All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe."

Happy Birthday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy Birthday from me and Chairman Mow!

and thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
The cause of, and the solution to, all of life's problems. - HS
mbmbmbmbmb

A commemorative 1-ruble coin was released in the Soviet Union in 1987 to commemorate the 175th anniversary of the Battle of Borodino, and four million of them were minted.

It sounds to me like you should get one of these to commemorate your b-day as well!

Have a great one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett W
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
Early HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Tidbit: About a third of Napoleon's soldiers were killed or wounded.

This is VERY generous of you. Thank you. Methinks I'll dig in my game closet and see what I can do along these lines.

The little guy's name is Porky. He's about as gentle a pony as you'll find. You can tell that by the precious cargo he's allowed to carry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

[Nb. Not after a ticket/chit/counter]:

This isn't exactly a tidbit about the battle, but about representations of the battle:

Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, composed in 1880 in an environment of growing Russian nationalism, can be read as a musical history of Napoleon's invasion in 1812 (designed to show, among other things, Russian spirit, perseverance and victory over an external aggressor). The famous cannonade mid-way through the piece is intended to depict Russian artillery at the Battle of Borodino (in the piece, the Russian artillery [represented as this cannonade] is depicted in battle against the French forces [represented by the Marseillaise]. The Battle (and the cannonade) is a turning point in the piece. It's a great example of how music can be used to present history - not only the growing Russian nationalism and identity in the 1880s, but also Russian representations of the 1812 invasion.

You can find a few versions of the 1812 Overture here (I'm not necessarily a classical music fan [see Pixies microbadge], but this is an accessible and exciting piece of music): http://www.hymn.ru/god-save-in-tchaikovsky/index-en.html

This is my three-year old Kelpie/Border-Collie with her proud 'catch' (we don't encourage her to catch rabbits, and it's quite rare for her to do so, but she's very proud when she gets one):

[EDITS: I keep adding/removing stuff for more/less details, sorry!]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Moles
United States
Idaho Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy Birthday

And a picture of one of my gaming buddies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt B.
United States
Pasco
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy (early) Birthday!

Jazz was my first pet as an adult on my own. He's not around any more, but this photo of him is one of my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Nearly happy birthday to my nearly twin. My birthday being on the 5th September. I used to celebrate it by going back to school every year! Imagine how great that was for a hardworking student like me. I used to cry with happiness.

I don't have any pets as I had a habit of killing them off in terrible accidents. My only bit of trivia about Borodino is that I once stormed the Great Redoubt in a miniatures game but my opponent bitched about it so much the guy umpiring the game made up some on the spot rule which meant I hadn't stormed it after all. A bit like the dream storyline in Dallas.

I'm not expecting you to ship the game to the UK but I remember you talking about some of the troubles you had this year and wanted to say I hope next year is much better for you, nearly twin.

Warm Regards

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice idea, and very generous of you!

Trivia: Borodino: Doomed Victory is the lowest-ranked game on the battle listed in the BGG database.

And here's our new hamster Leonardo:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, you're old!

Our little dog. Please note copy of Memoir '44 in the background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy Birthday.

Borodino trivia: among the battle's fictional participants are Prince Andre and Pierre Bezhukov, from Tolstoy's War and Peace.

Gaming note: Yaquinto made some good games, didn't they? I wish someone would reprint Close Assault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carroll
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy Birthday!

Here is Shasta when she was much younger, and a great deal smaller.

Thanks for the drawing.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Many happy returns, I hope 2012-13 is bigger and better for you. Seems like many of us have had a rough ride this year.

Good luck to the contestants in the draw!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Put my activation chit in your Dunnigan Ceramaceous Randomizer, please.

(And one for Monster as well.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
We'll look forward to celebrating your birthday next month. You've given me just enough time to read "War and Peace" before the joyful day! (Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic; more likely, Tolstoy waits for my declining years when there is no yardwork to be done.)

Is it old news to point out how important canning food was the Napoleon's campaigns back and forth through Europe? Ref.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMwUJq576Ec

I would place photos of my cats Charlie and Buddy here, but I haven't a clue as to how that's done!

Best wishes to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I would place photos of my cats Charlie and Buddy here, but I haven't a clue as to how that's done!

Upload a photo to your personal BGG gallery.

It will be given a unique ID number.

Insert that image into a post by typing this...

[ ImageID=####### ]

...but leave out the spaces next to the brackets. You photo will appear like magic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Doyle
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I'm not lookin for entry but wanted to express my appreciation for your generosity!

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy birthday, old man (from one who will leave "54" territory later this year).

This is Ripley, my Great Pyrenees. A prolific shedder at times, she leaves little DNA samples in all of my games for future identification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'├ętat, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy birthday!

I have silly cats:

And I don't have cool trivia about Borodino so here's a photo of a reenactment:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Loop
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy Brithday, you beat me by 5 days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Westmore
Bermuda
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Tempting but I'm not sure I'd get round to playing this. Please pop a chit in for me and if it comes out give it to one of the two people who currently have this on their want list, in case they miss this generous post. Cheers! Pete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.