Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few plays, I found myself in a similar situation that seems to be a common problem. Trying to get a hold of a new flagship, but almost always failing. In our games, some players don't even acquire one by the end of the game.
A quick and easy fix that seems to have worked well was to divide the ships by Diplomacy ratings of 4 or lower and 5 or higher, then shuffle the 4-or-lower ships into the top of the Space Deck, and the harder ones on the bottom half.
We also play the variant where if you're "better" flagship is destroyed, it goes into your points area and you re-start with your basic starter. This also helps.

My idea though is to make a Spacedock deck of Star Ships, and instead of needed to fight them, you can buy them with experience. Now before anyone worries, I would scan the original Star Ships and print new ones for the Spacedock, as removing the original ships out of the Space Deck would mess too much with the game for my tastes.
This would give players a way to buy the ships if they couldn't acquire them normally, but still reward the players who do Diplomacy the Space Deck ships.

I think only one ship could be available (faced up) at a time, but players could use their Search action to "Search" it instead of using it to search Starbase.
I was thinking that the ships could be worth (in XP) what their Defense value is. This way it would allow for players that have a late start to catch up, and still allow the Space Deck ships to be a primary target.
In thinking just now, I would probably "erase" the ships point value from the Spacedock deck to keep players from gaining points from them if they're destroyed.

Any suggestions? Like or dislike?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the most interesting alternatives I've seen yet. I think that erasing the experience points, however, is counterproductive. If anything, you could probably charge double the starships' experience points to purchase them, then the starship can still count as XP, but they will have basically spent double to earn half, which is a pretty fair balance, imho.

Very interesting idea. Thinking ahead to DS9, the possibilities of integrating something with that is starting to form in my head.

Thanks for the suggestion! I may actually try this one. I'll let you know if I do!

Cheers!

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Glad you like the idea.
I didn't mean erasing the XP cost from the ships (I'd make their XP cost at least their Defense value), but erase the mission reward points on the bottom left corner that one could gain from them if your flagship gets destroyed (as stated with the destroyed "new" flagship being moved to your points area). This way, the game will still favor those who need to Diplomacy their ships, but allows players to play catch up in a way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You actually get those points right away. Even if the ship isn't destroyed. Hence my idea for changing the cost. This has been covered elsewhere, so if you search the forums you'll find it.

Also, I was mulling this a bit more:

I think that only allowing a player to spend one search action per turn on the spacedock would help keep the leading player from cycling all the low cost ships from the other player.

Also, I think having two ships at a time visible, much like the exploration deck's missions, would be pretty appropriate.

Thanks again for the idea, and I will definitely be giving it a shot soon!

Cheers!

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I made a Space Dock deck. Have yet to test it though. So here it goes:

I only made the ships that were worth 50 points or less available in the Space Dock, again to still put value in exploring and "diploing" a ship and earning points that way.
All the 25 point ships cost 7 XP, and the 50 point ships cost 9. This makes a deck of 10 cards, with 6 ships that cost 9, and 4 ships that cost 7. I may make doubles of each ship though, but I doubt I will have to as 4 "cheap" ships seems plenty.

From your suggestion, I will try to see what happens as far as the Search limitation on the Space Dock. I can see the lead player doing that, but chances are it wouldn't be worth wasting your Search actions on preventing other players from getting a specific ship, especially if there are 2 ships available at any given time. Plus, if you need a new ship and there are 2 expensive ships available, and draw another expensive ship, you're out of luck.

I also may make it to were you must buy a ship using at least 1 Commander. Using Ensign or Lieutenants experience to "buy" a whole ship just doesn't seem to make sense to me. If I do that though, I will probably decrease all the ships XP cost by 1 (making them cost 6 and 8). but we'll see on this one.

Lastly, I am not sure if the Space Dock ships should go into your points area if they are destroyed (as in, they would only count toward your points if you command one), or if it should go into your points area. The reason I am not sure is because there are only 4 ships that cost 7. If your ship gets destroyed and goes to your points area, you are left with the very good possibility of having to buy a ship that costs you 9, which makes it that much harder to make a come back (which being able to make a legitimate come back is the whole point of this variant).
Either I will make doubles of the 7 XP ships, or I will not allow for gaining points if the ship is destroyed (ship goes to the bottom of the Space Dock deck). EDIT: This would only apply to Space Dock ships and not to ships you Diplomacy from the Space deck.

Well, that's it for the rambles. I will upload a file if the variant works out. I will upload and link a prototype image to my profile if anyone is interested in testing it out with me (with the understanding that ship costs and such may change). Let me know here if you're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Uploaded the file and awaiting to allow me to pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting for the file to be approved (or denied?).

Got a chance to test out the variant though and played 2 games of Exploration. Immediately saw a problem as it was basically a race to see who could buy a big new ship, and there was literally no focus on buying characters from Starbase except the basics (Commanders mainly). Then you'd buy a ship, then you'd go exploring (having never even tried exploring until you get a 9XP cost ship (the 50 mission point ships). Sadly, I tried to work on exploring after I bought a Shuttlecraft and went the other route, thinking that maybe I could grab some points while everyone was worried about getting a bigger ship. Sadly, while I got up to 75 points, by the time a couple 9XP cost ships hit the table, I was stuck struggling for a 9XP cost ship too and I lost because of it.
The second game I took out the 9XP cost ships from the Spacedock, and only left the 3 Shuttlecraft, 2 Roundabouts (released soon), and five of the 7XP cost ships. This made the game a lot more about exploring again, buying characters and managing your deck. The end-game was a lot more balanced too, more so than others played without the Spacedock. End game was 400, 325, 250 and 75 (the 75 was a new player). Also by the end of the game, 2 of the 4 players had cards from the Space deck rather than from the Spacedock, but used the Spacedock ships to acquire them.

I am excited to try this out again, and I am uploading a jpg file of the ships (to my profile gallery) so anyone who wants to can try it out as well. Thanks for reading!

EDIT:
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1394436/faydeshift
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1394437/faydeshift
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another report. Played a couple more games. 1 Exploration, 1 Borg. In both games the 9XP cost ships were not used and made exploring and diplomacy a main focus still, but players had the option to increase their stats, which many players do, at least in the beginning.
During the Exploration game, one player actually lost his flagship, bought a Runabout, and used it to race into second place from last place within 2 turns.
I think I will permanently take out the 9XP cost ships, which decreases the amount of ink needed to make the variant, which is never a bad thing.

Will be posting the variant into the files section soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my immediate idea: How about making the 5-7 XP ships a part of the starbase? The normal starbase would have just 8 cards + 1 ship (say at the top left corner space) that would be replaced from a secondary stabase deck (of ships). 1 search in total would apply for both decks together. Leaving out all the more expensive ships (as you suggest above) is probably a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the idea. I will try it out to see how the 8+1 Starbase area works.

Yeah, the 9-cost ships (the 50 point ships) just threw off the game completely and made it so exploring/diplomacy a ship wasn't rewarding nor needed. The lighter ships being purchasable (but not worth any points) made for a much much more balanced (and honestly more fun) game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.