Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ola Lundin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

How do you pick Dragons when you set up using the rules from Call to Arms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hola, Ola

Dragons can be used with Call to Arms in the same manner as any other creature. The rule book for CtA is a little cloudy on exactly how creatures are to be deployed, but clarification was made in the forums on Days of Wonder for BattleLore. I'll look for that link, but essentially the clarifications were:

1) The Green Banner Creature indicated on some of the deployment cards (one card in each of the the six original CtA decks contains such a unit) is meant to represent any (edit: sorry, forgot the bit about it being a level 1 creature...) Level 1 creature. The cards were re-issued by Fantasy Flight Games with a Grey (indicating choice) Banner for the Creature and included in the Horrific Horde (cards Pennant A7, Pennant B7, and Pennant C3) and Bearded Brave (cards Standard A7, Standard B7, and Standard C7)expansions.

2) Additionally, if no Creatures are deployed through the deployment cards, Creatures may be added by either side during the building of the War Council. (Edit: so could still "by the rules" acquire any dragon if neither player has placed a creature during the deployment phase.)

The intention of both of these rules is to open up the game for players to play the way they want to, able to easily include a variety of Creatures, if so desired. Easy enough to decide not to use creatures at all, or only allow them if deployed through the cards.

Dragons did not exist for the game at this time, but I believe it is no issue using them abiding by the same rules. The Fire Dragon dominates the game, and the game in general plays differently when using Dragons (as clearly is the intention of that expansion), but this is offset to a degree by the additional War Council token cost for the Ice Drake and Fire Dragon. Just more options to play with by including or disallowing Dragons with the already established CtA rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Lundin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay thank you for your thorough and quick reply!
I will re-read the rules and hopefully I will grasp them better this time! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't hesitate to bring any more questions you have here - the creature deployment rules for Call to Arms are very vague, players had a lot of questions when it first came out in Spring 2007, and at times the answers received would be or appear to be contradictory.

There was to have been a FAQ through FFG to respond to questions like these, as FFG didn't see eye to eye with many of DoW's ideas about the game. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, I am not sure I would've liked some of the answers ) that FAQ never materialized.

I was reading through some of the old DoW forums, and I came across something I had forgotten - the creature banner on the deployment cards is to represent any level 1 creature, so strictly speaking, it is not to be used for an Ice Drake or Fire Dragon (Wood Wyvern, no problem ). However, over and over again, DoW would remind us of the overarching rule: if it's fun, go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.