Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the rule's down pretty good,and this hasnt come up yet,but im getting ready to introduce this game to others and want to be prepared.
I get if the monster is moving and he's going forward and see's someone and is heading for him but to the right there is another person,The same amount of spaces,He just keeps going in the direction to eat the first one he seen since he was already facing that direction. But.....
What if the monster is going in his strait line facing forward with no one in front of him,but during this movement of going strait there are 2 people on the left And on the right and the monster is between both of them at the same time?
Only thing I seen in the rules was that he looks forward,to the left and to the right. So would you just assume he Always looks to the Left First?
So when he comes strolling down and runs into two people on either side of him the guy on his left is dinner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they're both the same distance away the monster continues moving in a straight line. I believe the rules say he "gets confused".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Caveat: I do not have the rules in front of me thus I could be misremembering! and thus reserve the right to edit in the future

My recollection is that the Monster not very smart and only makes simple decisions. If given a choice of two decision, i.e. turn left or turn right, it is too difficult so the Monster chooses to not make a decision and continues going straight ahead.

Thus if he is moving straight ahead and there are people equidistant on both the left and the right he will get confused, his brain will start to overload on the pressure of having to choose between left and right and he will thus continue to move forwards in the original direction. From memory this is actually covered in the rules (without the flavour text).

We had a case in one game where person A was five spaces directly in front of the Monster, but when the Monster would have moved two forwards they would see person B off two spaces to the left who would then be closer thus person B was in big trouble. Person C decided to move to a spot that when the Monster saw person B they would be two spaces to the right and thus the Monster went straight ahead and got person A devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
This situation happens all the time in our games. Positioning two of your people either side of and equally distant from the monster's path is a good way of getting him to avoid you... at least until an opponent does something to mess up your careful plans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok,Thanks guys. That clears it up for me and gives me some more strategic planning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smith
United Kingdom
Banbury
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
What happens if there are people equally spaced either side of the monster, and another person beyond one of them?

Does the monster only look for the nearest people in any direction, and therefore ignores the one who's further away, or do the equidistant people cancel, allowing the further one to be seen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the nearest peaope are relevant. If there is a tie the monster continues one space straight forward - maybe on the next field there is a different situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Yum
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Karlsen wrote:
Caveat: I do not have the rules in front of me thus I could be misremembering! and thus reserve the right to edit in the future

My recollection is that the Monster not very smart and only makes simple decisions. If given a choice of two decision, i.e. turn left or turn right, it is too difficult so the Monster chooses to not make a decision and continues going straight ahead.

Thus if he is moving straight ahead and there are people equidistant on both the left and the right he will get confused, his brain will start to overload on the pressure of having to choose between left and right and he will thus continue to move forwards in the original direction. From memory this is actually covered in the rules (without the flavour text).

We had a case in one game where person A was five spaces directly in front of the Monster, but when the Monster would have moved two forwards they would see person B off two spaces to the left who would then be closer thus person B was in big trouble. Person C decided to move to a spot that when the Monster saw person B they would be two spaces to the right and thus the Monster went straight ahead and got person A devil

Quite devious play!

The monster is like Buridan's ass. Poor guy. He just wants to eat his dinner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buridan%27s_ass

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.