7 Posts

Doctor Who: Solitaire Story Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Enemy encounter clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
King Wurzle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Wow what a great game, my son originally downloaded this and asked me to play it with him as it was quite complicated, but it hooks you in and before I knew it I was playing it as much with him as without him.

I have just downloaded the new rule book and its flagged up a few queries on how we were playing it

I was playing combat that if you run away, you roll once for your whole group, adding any running traits. Reading the new combat system I see your supposed to make that roll for each individual, rather than as a group.

This made me query, if you meet the enemy and you decide to evade or hide from them, do you roll as a group, or do you roll for each individual in your group separately?

When you choose the talk option and you need to make a brains roll, do you add the brains together of all the people in your group or do you just use the character with the highest brains to do the test?
I always assumed you total the brains of your group, but on the latest adventure while meeting centurion androids, I had 6 unit soldiers and a commander with me as well as my companion. Which meant my brains was 47 and there was no chance of failing to make the talk roll, it made me wonder if I was doing this correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the question in part.

Rule r302 say "Roll 2D6 and count all the matching Traits that your group has."

It also say "Sometimes an event will only allow you to add your personal Traits as the Doctor." Some events will specify if there is a modifier, change or limit to how the roll will work

I believe that the Quality rolls are the same that you include all members of the group unless told otherwise by the event.

Most event affect the group as a whole except for the new combat rules, again the event can and often does specify an individual or a part of the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to contradict you David but when you have a Quality roll in an Enemy or Character encounter you take the highest in your group - usually the Doctor of course.

When you are attempting to evade, hide etc each Character rolls separately.

many thanks for the kind words about the game btw!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you Simon, but I was speaking generally not directly about the Enemy encounter rolls. Hence the bit saying only partly answering it pointing out how events often modify how you handle rolls depending on the circumstance. Sorry if this was confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Qualities gained from Planning? I guess since they do not add to personal Qualities, they do not provide bonus while Talking to an Enemy also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dragoncymru wrote:
when you have a Quality roll in an Enemy or Character encounter you take the highest in your group - usually the Doctor of course.
Never noticed that one before, I ways used the Doctor's Quality as the encounter usually says YOU or YOUR Brains, Brawn or Bravery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Wurzle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for clearing that up, so quality rolls are made by the highest member in group.

And thanks for clearing up the running and hide rules, my son and I have had a long running argument over this point, and I hate to say he won!

Only thing is once you have had a goal event what is the point of keeping everyone together as you wont need any of their abilities for plot events, as you won't be having any.

It would be easy to just split all the characters apart and end up having individual actions and encounters, you may lose a few allies in doing this but their is no penalties for losing most allies and you will probably gain a few extra dm in doing so.

In most cases I think opposing consists of talking and other character with you are of no help in doing this if you just take the highest characters score.

As a suggestion, what about any characters in your group with a brains of 5 or maybe 6 or more adds a +1 bonus to the brains roll, this would give you a reason to keep the group together without adding to much to the brains roll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.