Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Serial gamer
badge
Stedje van lol en plezeer
mbmbmbmbmb
While playing we had a discussion about paying the double price (for the type II) hut.

Let's say I want to buy a spear hut for 3.
Can the first transaction be 3 shells and the second transaction consist of 3 fruit?
Page 7 in the Dutch rulebook shows an example with paying 3 shells for the type I hut and 6 shells for the type II hut.
We wondered if this double is a doubling of the price, with that I mean 1 transaction of 6 shells (or 6 fruit).
Or can we treat them as 2 separate transactions of 3 shells (or 3 fruit).
We decided to go for the 2 separate transactions and I would really like to know if we decided correctly.

As we decided to treat the situation with the double prices as 2 separate transactions we also allowed the exchange hut to become 'active' twice. As the Dutch rules state that this hut can be used once per transaction.
However I did read on this forum that some players interpret the usage of this exchange hut ability to a maximum of only one use per turn.
The question is: How can we play this exchange hut in the correct way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doubles the price. It doesn't say you pay twice.
So I think it has to be one type of payment and one transaction.
What you did sounds like you went the rules lawyer path as opposed to the common sense path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed! This is one transaction of double price -- must pay with one currency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that paying double is one transaction.

Additionally, the German rules (and I guess Dutch too) erroneously state that you can use the exchange huts every transaction. This was corrected in the English rules to say once per turn. The designer clarifies it in this thread:
Clarifications - Spear Hut + Exchange hut + Tikis / Kahunas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
Additionally, the German rules (and I guess Dutch too) erroneously state that you can use the exchange huts every transaction. This was corrected in the English rules to say once per turn. The designer clarifies it in this thread:
Clarifications - Spear Hut + Exchange hut + Tikis / Kahunas

But the designer isn't always right!
It is all very fine that the American version has changed the rules to follow the intention of the designer, but that doesn't make the original version incorrect.

The original version by Hans im Glück still use the rules as written - and clarified in their reply.

HiG has streamlined the designer's game in several ways, and whether he may not be happy of all the changes, it is wrong to call their decisions for "errors".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.