Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmb
I found out today that seemingly everyone else plays the game differently than I do. I read the rules translation, as well as this part of the BGG description (emphasis mine):

Quote:
In Würfel Bohnanza, the active player doesn't trade dice, but opponents do get to benefit from that player's rolls. After each roll by the active player, all other players can use the dice just rolled – and not dice already set aside – to complete orders on their own cards. Thus, the active player has some incentive not to dawdle too much with her rolls as her opponents might benefit from her turn more than she does.

I read that and concluded this should be a speed game, where the active player tries to quickly decide wich bean dice to "lock" on the field and to limit the time the other players have to benefit from the roll. Am I the only one that does it that way? We haven't played many times, but never experienced a problem this way, and we like how quick and frenetic the dice game becomes.

-Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
We did not play this as a speed game, although there were newbies in the game. I think I'd enjoy it less as a speed game, although maybe not if everyone were familiar with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
The description (which is not part of the actual rules) could just as well be read to mean that the active player has an incentive to lock in dice in a small number of rolls, rather than one at a time - doing the latter gives the other players a lot more opportunity to complete orders.

I would absolutely not play this as a speed game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Solufane The discombobulated
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I ve played this game a lot recently. And I am certain thats is not meant to be a speedgame. Most of the tactics lay in the carefull selection of dice after each roll and the degree to which you stretch to the higher orders. Its nice to pick up orders simply by watching an opponent rolling and it doesent take much brain power compared to the one rolling. She or he has to think at least two rolls into the future. The watcher just needs to ready spot the next order in that one throw, and thus takes less time then the roller, anyway.

Great little game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah... definitely NOT a speed game. The roller should wait until everyone checks their cards, and even cashes in a card if they want to and then checks their next card in case they can fill the first line on that one too with that same roll.

It's not a slow game.. that can all be done in a couple seconds, but I think the game is more about deciding whether you should push your luck... figure out the odds rather than grab dice while people are trying to look at them. That doesn't seem fun to me at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.