Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Resistance vs Mafia I

Introduction:

If you are here, then I am assuming that you have some basic idea what The Resistance is all about.

The Resistance is a social deduction game with a hidden loyalty mechanic. In this game, a small band of oppressed individuals have chosen to aid the underground Resistance movement against the Empire. However, this group of Resistance Operatives has been infiltrated by a number of Imperial Spies who are determined to sabotage the rebellious activities.

The objective of the game is to attempt to successfully carry out three missions against the Empire before the spies can sabotage three missions.

General Housekeeping:

Cheating:
Please do not cheat. We all know what constitutes fair play and I don't want to compile a long list of what is specifically not allowed. If there is any doubt in your mind about the legitimacy of a play that you would like to perform, please speak to me first.

If a situation arises that is ambiguous then I will be forced to use my best judgement, to be upfront, even if you had the best intentions I will probably rule against you. This is to prevent future scenarios where the players purposely cheat and appeal based upon 'best intentions/honest mistake'.

It's best to avoid this before it happens.

Activity:
Be active. Post in this thread at least once per day and once per voting phase. Inactivity is bad for the Resistance and unfair to your teammates. If you feel that you cannot keep up with the game at the moment then please let someone else take your spot and join in next time.

As is typical within this community, we will have a break period between 00:01 Saturday and 23:59 Sunday in which no activity is required or expected. Once the break period is over we will resume play, at which time, any paused deadline will begin counting down again.

Mod Font:
This is the font which I will use to answer questions in the thread. It is reserved for me. Please do not use it.

Question Font:
This is the font that you can use to ask me questions about the rules. It will help grab my attention if I only have time to quickly scan the thread. You can also ask your questions privately where you are not required to use this font.

Editing:
While the game is on-going, there is no circumstance that I can think of where a post by a player should be edited. If you feel that you must edit something then just post again and fix up your post there. The Resistance is a game of information and the PBF format has a very important distinction from face-to-face games, in that, we have an immutable record of all posts. As such, I will consider editing a form of cheating.

Inappropriate Posts:
We are all here to play Resistance in a comfortable and safe environment. I know that The Resistance can get intense but if posts start to become personal, I will put a stop to it. I believe in dealing with problems within the PBF community first. If you do not like how another player is posting, contact me about it before reporting it to BGG. If you do not like how I resolve the situation then you should feel free to notify the BGG admins.

Play To Win.
Please do your best within the rules to achieve your win condition. This does not allow you to antagonize the other players until they quit.

Also, the design of this particular game makes it difficult for players to just leave the game. So, please avoid dropping out of the game without a good reason. Should a situation occur where you must leave the game, contact me so that I can attempt to find a replacement.

Out of Thread Communication:
There is to be no communication of any kind between any of the players about this game.

Resistance vs Mafia I Rules:

Number of Players:
This game has been built for 8 players. At the start of the game there will be 5 Resistance members and 3 spies.

Proposals:
Please be timely when it is your turn to make a proposal. I have set a maximum time period of 24 hours for the current Leader to propose a team. The proposal should be made in this thread. Ensure that it is bolded or it will not be official. A sample proposal follows:

Proposal X.Y: PlayerA, PlayerB and PlayerC

It is not required to model this sample exactly as long as it's clear that this is your proposal.

Voting:
Once an official proposal has been made by the Leader, there will be a maximum time period of 24 hours for each remaining player to accept or reject the proposal. They must be made to me privately, either by GM or the ModChat through Cassandra.

The Voting Phase ends at the end of the 24 hour period or once every player has registered their decision, whichever occurs first.

If the 24 hour period ends before I have received all of the votes, then I will be forced to register a rejection for each outstanding vote.

Tallying the Votes:
At the end of the Voting Phase the votes will be tallied.
a) The option (Yes/No) which has achieved the majority of the votes will determine the status of the proposed team.
b) If there is a tie, then the players have failed to reach consensus and the proposal will be rejected.

Hammer:
If five proposals are rejected for the same mission then the spies win, so the fifth proposal, aka the Hammer, is automatically assumed to be accepted. Once a Hammer has been thrown, we will skip the Voting Phase and

Night Phase:
If the proposed team is accepted, there will be a maximum time period of 24 hours during which the players will send me their actions. The Resistance is exempt from this since they must pass any mission that they are on. I will accept conditional orders submitted early. Any spies who are on the mission are required to send me orders to fail or pass the mission.

Player Eliminations:
This mechanic is not a standard part of The Resistance ruleset so please review this and ask if any portion requires clarification.

When the night phase is over:
a) if the mission was not sabotaged, the players will wake up to find a spy eliminated from the game.
b) if the mission was sabotaged, the players will wake up to find a Resistance member eliminated from the game.
c) There is 1 exception to this rule which only comes into effect if the spies fail the first 2 missions. In that case, no player will be eliminated before Mission 3. However, if Mission 3 passes, one Resistance member will be eliminated in addition to the eliminated spy. This rule circumvents the situation where the number of Resistance is equal to the number of spies.

If you find yourself eliminated from the game, you are permitted one additional and optional polite post. Do not include any information that is relevant to the game.

Player Eliminations Explained:
This is how the eliminated players will be chosen:
a) If there is at least one spy on the mission, each spy left in the game (it doesn't matter if you're not on the mission), is encouraged to send me a message containing the name of a Resistance member who they want eliminated and the name of a spy who they are most comfortable eliminating.
b) If there is are no spies on the mission, each spy left in the game is encouraged to send me a message containing the name of a spy who they are most comfortable eliminating.
c) Spies are permitted to vote for themselves.
d) I will tally up the votes. If there is a tie, the vote of any spy who was on the mission will be used to break the tie. If there is no such spy or their votes do not break the tie, then I will use simple plurality.
e) If the mission passes, the spy with the most votes will be eliminated.
f) If the mission fails, the Resistance with the most votes will be eliminated.

Mission Team Structure:
The size of the mission teams are as follows:

Mission 1 - 2 players
Mission 2 - 3 players
Mission 3 - If Resistance has scored 2 points, 5 players. Otherwise, 3 players.
Mission 4 - If Resistance has scored 2 points, 4 players. Otherwise, 2 players.
Mission 5 - 3 players

This structure was purposely designed so that in order for the Resistance to win the game, they must determine the identities of each and every player on their team.

This should be a hard format for the Resistance so good luck and happy hunting!

Credits:
Thanks to the TL Mafia community which provided the base template from which I modelled this post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF #31 - Weresistance IV - SIGN UP
The Setup

This game was run with the aid of Cassandra. The chat logs can be found here: Chat Logs

Role GMs:
Resistance Operative
Welcome to Resistance vs Mafia I!
Your role is: Resistance Operative

Imperial Spy
Welcome to Resistance vs Mafia I!
Your role is: Imperial Spy
Your team consists of the following players:
– Player A
– Player B
– Player C

The Players in Seating Order:
mastermind109 replaced by BlueTorch during Day 1
PseudoPserious
jopejope
bkarrigan
Jythier
Acope27
Azgard12
Carrillo

Game Status

Current Mission/Proposal: 5.1
Number of Operatives Required: 3
Current Leader: Acope27
Current Proposal:
Deadline for Action (BGG Time): 12:01 am on Sept. 5, 2012

Game Log:
Proposal 1.1: mastermind109 proposes mastermind109 and PseudoPserious
Results: Rejected (3 - 5)
YES - PseudoPserious, jopejope, bkarrigan
NO - mastermind109*, Jythier, Acope27, Azgard12, Carrillo

Proposal 1.2: PseudoPserious proposes PseudoPserious and mastermind109
Results: Rejected (0 - 8)
YES -
NO - mastermind109*, PseudoPserious, jopejope, bkarrigan, Jythier, Acope27, Azgard12, Carrillo

Proposal 1.3: jopejope proposes jopejope and Jythier
Results: Rejected (3 - 5)
YES - jopejope, Azgard12, Carrillo
NO - BlueTorch, PseudoPserious, bkarrigan*, Jythier, Acope27

Proposal 1.4: bkarrigan proposes bkarrigan and Jythier
Results: Rejected (2 - 6)
YES - bkarrigan, Azgard12
NO - BlueTorch, PseudoPserious, jopejope, Jythier, Acope27, Carrillo

Proposal 1.5: Jythier proposes Jythier and Acope27
Results: Accepted due to being hammer proposal

Mission 1: PASS, PASS

Proposal 2.1: Acope27 proposes Acope27, PseudoPserious and Jythier
Results: Accepted (4 - 3)
YES - bkarrigan, Jythier, Acope27, Azgard12
NO - PseudoPserious, jopejope, Carrillo

Mission 2: PASS, PASS, PASS

Proposal 3.1: Azgard12 proposes Azgard12, PseudoPserious, bkarrigan, Jythier and Acope27
Results: Accepted (5 - 1)
YES - PseudoPserious, bkarrigan, Jythier, Acope27, Azgard12
NO - Carrillo

Mission 3: PASS, PASS, PASS, PASS, FAIL

Proposal 4.1: PseudoPserious proposes PseudoPserious, Jythier, Acope27 and Azgard12
Results: Rejected (2 - 3)
YES - PseudoPserious, Acope27
NO - bkarrigan, Jythier, Azgard12

Proposal 4.2: bkarrigan proposes bkarrigan, Jythier, Acope27 and PseudoPserious
Results: Rejected (1 - 4)
YES - bkarrigan
NO - PseudoPserious, Acope27, Jythier, Azgard12

Proposal 4.3: Jythier proposes Jythier, Acope27, Azgard12 and PseudoPserious
Results: Accepted (3 - 2)
YES - Jythier, Acope27, Azgard12
NO - bkarrigan, PseudoPserious

Mission 4: PASS, PASS, PASS, FAIL

Proposal 5.1: Acope27 proposes Acope27, Azgard12 and Jythier
Results: Accepted (2 - 2) [Tie settled via Simple Plurality]
YES - Acope27 (3rd), Azgard12 (2nd)
NO - PseudoPserious (4th), Jythier (1st)

Mission 5: PASS, PASS, FAIL

*Proposal rejected due to time limit

Important Posts:
Day 1
BlueTorch substitutes for mastermind109
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5
Game End

Revealed Roles:
This section is hidden to protect those who are reading after the game is over and do not want to be spoiled. Mouse-over at your own risk!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
mastermind109/BlueTorch the Imperial Spy was eliminated Night 1.
jopejope the Imperial Spy was eliminated Night 2.
Carrillo the Resistance Operative was eliminated Night 3.
bkarrigan the Resistance Operative was eliminated Night 4.
PseudoPserious the Resistance Operative was eliminated Night 5.
Jythier the Resistance Operative was eliminated Night 5.
Acope27 the Resistance Operative was eliminated Night 5.

There are 0 out of 5 Resistance remaining.
There is 1 out of 3 spies remaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
acope27
Azgard12
bkarrigan
Carrillo
jopejope
Jythier
mastermind109
PseudoPserious

8 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/8403...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kingjames01 wrote:

Night Phase:
If the proposed team is accepted, then the game will enter into a 24 hour long night phase where the players will send me their proposed actions. The Resistance is exempt from this since they must pass any mission that they are on. I will accept conditional orders submitted early. Any spies who are on the mission are required to send me orders to fail or pass the mission.

Okay one more little nitpick:

Perhaps the night phase doesn't need to be 24 hours? Spies can submit conditional orders ahead of time (like with their vote or whatever), or you can require Resistance members to send pass orders to avoid suspicion about timing. Maybe just wait a short (not pre-announced) amount of time and then post results?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jopejope wrote:
kingjames01 wrote:

Night Phase:
If the proposed team is accepted, then the game will enter into a 24 hour long night phase where the players will send me their proposed actions. The Resistance is exempt from this since they must pass any mission that they are on. I will accept conditional orders submitted early. Any spies who are on the mission are required to send me orders to fail or pass the mission.

Perhaps the night phase doesn't need to be 24 hours? Spies can submit conditional orders ahead of time (like with their vote or whatever), or you can require Resistance members to send pass orders to avoid suspicion about timing. Maybe just wait a short (not pre-announced) amount of time and then post results?

I'll clarify this. It's supposed to a maximum of 24 hours just like the Proposal Phase and the Voting Phase. If I get all of the relevant information, then the Night Phase will end early as well.

If I'm still missing any possible actions, then I will wait until the 24 hours are up.

The absolutely essential actions are:
- decisions from each of the spies on a mission to Fail/Pass that mission
- at least one spy remaining in the game needs to submit their choice for which Resistance to eliminate and which spy to eliminate

At the end of the 24 hours, if I have at least these items, then the game will enter into the next Proposal Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jopejope wrote:
kingjames01 wrote:

Night Phase:

Fixed. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just signed up on Cassandra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Welcome to the game! =) Only 2 more slots remaining!

As soon as we fill up the game, I'll randomize the roles and player order.

Is BlueTorch around these days? I haven't seen him post in quite a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PseudoPserious has joined the game!

Three more spots to go and then we can get started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sign me up (again).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We now have 8 players. I'm going to send GMs to each player that is signed up.

Once everyone has checked in, I will post the Day 1 post and we will begin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Good luck to all

Let's win one for the spies! (I was spy in the last two pbf I played, or looked like one, so whatever.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catwoman
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm new to this but it looks way fun I'll try my best.
Also I don't think I've ever played/met any of you before I hope we can get along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
mastermind109 wrote:
Also I don't think I've ever played/met any of you before I hope we can get along.

Well, we tend to get along around here pretty well, between games.

Advice #1 - Don't take anything personal that's said during the game. You will be pushed. There is no going easy on a potential spy - there isn't nearly enough to go on if we don't push you.

Also, welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catwoman
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jythier wrote:
mastermind109 wrote:

Advice #1 - Don't take anything personal that's said during the game. You will be pushed. There is no going easy on a potential spy - there isn't nearly enough to go on if we don't push you.

Also, welcome.

It's not going to be personal comments is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They won't be, but sometimes when you're pushed, it will feel personal.

I won't let it get out of hand. We're all here to play in a safe environment and we all understand that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Pserious
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
CLAP CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!
badge
I dislike the Canadiens. (The hockey team, that is, not people from Canada in general.)
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
mastermind109 wrote:

Also, welcome.

Now that the game has started, Jyth...

I hate you sooooo much.

Whew. Glad to get that off my chest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Pserious
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
CLAP CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!
badge
I dislike the Canadiens. (The hockey team, that is, not people from Canada in general.)
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you going to maintain a static "status" post, KJ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
eunoia wrote:
Good luck to all

Let's win one for the spies! (I was spy in the last two pbf I played, or looked like one, so whatever.)

Bah! I will be pulling for the resistance since that is the team that I'm going to be on.

Also before roles are given out I'm just going to tell you guys that for M1 I'll vote "yes" to anyone who proposes themselves plus the person to their immediate left (next player in player order). Until there is relevant information available that indicates I should do otherwise (i.e. until I have decent reads on people).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PseudoPserious wrote:
Jythier wrote:
mastermind109 wrote:

Also, welcome.

Now that the game has started, Jyth...

I hate you sooooo much.

Whew. Glad to get that off my chest.

Unrequited love is the hardest love. I'll survive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PseudoPserious wrote:
Are you going to maintain a static "status" post, KJ?

Yes, I will. I have a section started in my second post, but I think I will make it a little more obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jopejope wrote:
eunoia wrote:
Good luck to all

Bah! I will be pulling for the resistance since that is the team that I'm going to be on.

Also before roles are given out I'm just going to tell you guys that for M1 I'll vote "yes" to anyone who proposes themselves plus the person to their immediate left (next player in player order). Until there is relevant information available that indicates I should do otherwise (i.e. until I have decent reads on people).

Regardless of whether roles are out or not, I still think that's stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catwoman
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
So am reading that correctly right? You don't make your vote public? You just contact the mod? Thats different I've never seen that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mastermind109 wrote:
So am reading that correctly right? You don't make your vote public? You just contact the mod? Thats different I've never seen that.

Have you ever played The Resistance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a rule specific to The Resistance. I tried to incorporate as much of that ruleset as possible and this was one that jopejope explained was a good one to keep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [59] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.