Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for good card games like Magic The Gathering. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
My first post here in this awesome site I watched for so long, but now I created an account.

So I just wanted to find some cards game that palys somehow the same as MtG card game for a research I have to do.

Thank you very much for your help!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan D
United Kingdom
Brislington
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Im assuming you are after just a self contained game rather than a TCG

Summoner Wars: Master Set

fits the bill
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a very vague description for what you are looking for. What aspects of MTG should it have? Be a TCG? Same gameplay without being a TCG? Just a card game?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
Tzer wrote:
That's a very vague description for what you are looking for. What aspects of MTG should it have? Be a TCG? Same gameplay without being a TCG? Just a card game?


Yes, you have indeed right. I should have been more specific for what I want:

Well, at first I am interesting the most for the gameplay part of the MtG. Be a "summoner" and have your Creatures and Spells [just an example] to defeat the other "summoner".

Then the playing cards to have the somehow the similar characteristics with MtG game.

I hope I become more clear.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elemental Clash: The Basic Set
Nightfall
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
Jetpac wrote:
Im assuming you are after just a self contained game rather than a TCG

Summoner Wars: Master Set

fits the bill


Interesting.
Can I find the rules to their sites?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan D
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick an LCG. Thank me later! Enjoy!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
imba19 wrote:
Pick an LCG. Thank me later! Enjoy!


LCG? What is this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Enes Ebbesen
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SweetShark wrote:
LCG? What is this?

Living Card Game.
It means that all the cards that you need come in the box.
And then you can make different decks from those cards.

Their evil sibling, CCG (Collectible Card Games) makes new cards all the time that you have to buy. Magic: The Gathering is a CCG.
(That beeing said - I loooove Mtg.)

CCGs quickly become a very expensive game, because you have to buy new cards all the time, while
LCGs are a lot cheaper, and only with an one-time investment.
(Well, expansions will usually come, but nothing like Mtg.)

Popular LCGs for two players are:
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game
A Game of Thrones: The Card Game

Very good instructional videos of how to play can be found on Fantasy flights website:
www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_colecciones.asp?eidc=3

And they can be bought for what is very cheap in my part of the world from http://www.bookdepository.com/
(Free shipping worldwide.)

Mind you, there are lots of other LCGs to choose from as well. I'm guessing a lot of people will recommend you some of them in this post.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer or Ascension: Storm of Souls. The game was developed by a former Magic: The Gathering pro and I find it plays similar to Magic (many possibilities for combos, and resource management similar to manna).


Edit: Spelling.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
Ebbe wrote:
SweetShark wrote:
LCG? What is this?

Living Card Game.
It means that all the cards that you need come in the box.
And then you can make different decks from those cards.

Their evil sibling, CCG (Collectible Card Games) makes new cards all the time that you have to buy. Magic: The Gathering is a CCG.
(That beeing said - I loooove Mtg.)

CCGs quickly become a very expensive game, because you have to buy new cards all the time, while
LCGs are a lot cheaper, and only with an one-time investment.
(Well, expansions will usually come, but nothing like Mtg.)

Popular LCGs for two players are:
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game
A Game of Thrones: The Card Game

Very good instructional videos of how to play can be found on Fantasy flights website:
www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_colecciones.asp?eidc=3

And they can be bought for what is very cheap in my part of the world from http://www.bookdepository.com/
(Free shipping worldwide.)

Mind you, there are lots of other LCGs to choose from as well. I'm guessing a lot of people will recommend you some of them in this post.


We indeed love to worship the "Evil Side" of a Card game. I am guilty too I must say.
Thank you very much for the info!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any suggestions, because nothing comes close to Magic for me, but good luck with your project!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
@Ebbe

Just now a friend of mine that I told about this site made an order for a book he wanted ^^

He is very thankfull for that.

Thank you again for my part too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
Renaissance Man wrote:
I don't have any suggestions, because nothing comes close to Magic for me, but good luck with your project!


What about the game Ascension a user just suggested me?
This game look very similar I must say with the MtG.
Of course I didn't read the rules yet, but even by looking the cards of this specific game, have some similarities.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for A Game of Thrones: The Card Game: better than MtG, IMO, and better than any other non coop LCG
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SweetShark wrote:
Well, at first I am interesting the most for the gameplay part of the MtG. Be a "summoner" and have your Creatures and Spells [just an example] to defeat the other "summoner".

Then the playing cards to have the somehow the similar characteristics with MtG game.


So Summoner Wars. Here's a play of the game.

Item for Geeklist "Watch It Played Video Series"

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you're looking for something a lot like magic, try The Spoils.

It's really like magic refined. You start with 2 'land' cards in play so the game gets started faster and it's harder to get mana screwed, the attacking rules are more strategic, the deckbuilding is a lot easier due to how resources work, and the game has a great sense of humor.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience and I do have quite a bit, Warhammer Invasion LCG is the closest to MTG that I have played. It is very, very good ... surprised it hasn't been mentioned along with the other LCGs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Top 10 Customizable Card Games
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lensmen Fan
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kythrid wrote:
In my experience and I do have quite a bit, Warhammer Invasion LCG is the closest to MTG that I have played. It is very, very good ... surprised it hasn't been mentioned along with the other LCGs.


I will second this. Warhammer Invasion has a magic feel to it but has some interesting twists to it. It is definitely a game that plays best with aggressive players though, but that normally applies to magic as well.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SweetShark wrote:
What about the game Ascension a user just suggested me?
This game look very similar I must say with the MtG.
Of course I didn't read the rules yet, but even by looking the cards of this specific game, have some similarities.

Yes, Ascension is a good recommendation; it's an excellent fit for what you're looking for (I've played both Magic and Ascension). I think you'll really enjoy Ascension if you give it a try.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Magic player, I enjoy:

London
Ascension: Deckbuilding Game
GOSU
7 Wonders

and keep your eye out for:

Seasons
Smash Up
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Baker
United States
Stillwater
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
+1 Summoner Wars.

Jonathan
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb

I just checked a card game with the name "The Spoils".
I think the "weirdness" of this card game will help me very much for the Theme I was thought at first.
Where can I find the rules for this game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Enes Ebbesen
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
SweetShark wrote:
Well, at first I am interesting the most for the gameplay part of the MtG. Be a "summoner" and have your Creatures and Spells [just an example] to defeat the other "summoner".

Then the playing cards to have the somehow the similar characteristics with MtG game.


So Summoner Wars. Here's a play of the game.

Item for Geeklist "Watch It Played Video Series"



Damn you.
Now I need to own this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.