J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is obviously an amazing go-to game when you want to play farmer survival sim. But what happens when you don't have two hours to kill and you only have 1 other person to play with?

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small scratches the Agricola itch without committing you to a long engagement. And you all know what itch I'm talking about. It's the perfect game for couples, and it gives you just enough Agricola action to satisfy the need.

The biggest difference between the two is Big and Small takes away the farming and the need to sustain your family, and focuses on just breeding. Even the beautifully-designed player boards reflect this, as the art depicts a thriving little farm already up and running.

There are also a set number of actions (3), and no cards to get in the way. It's just you, your opponent, and a variety of animal and fence actions. There is very little difference in the gameplay besides some subtle things like feeding troughs instead of stables which can let you pack in a ton of sheep per square, the ability to quickly upgrade your cottage and stables, and the ability to increase your property size. There are a set number of rounds equal to fence pieces that get added to an action space on the board, which is 9 if I recall correctly.

The interesting thing about Big and Small is that unlike regular Agricola, you don't feel like you're constantly under the gun, vying for those precious action spaces. Since there are only two of you, and 10 or so actions, you're free to attempt the game however you wish.

My feeling about the game is that it's fun, and it's great to enjoy with a significant other, even if they're not big on games. In fact, it's an amazing gateway game in the fact that it strips Agricola down to a game that's very easy to learn and quick to play, but with a decent level of strategy.

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small will not replace Agricola, and it doesn't try to. It's literally just a quick way to get your Agricola fix, or a fun and useful gateway game that's perfect for newcomers to board gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my kind of review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hilla
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
astroglide wrote:
This is my kind of review.

Agreed. Just what I wanted to know without pointless rules re-typing and photo inserts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.