Subject: Just got the game and starting out. Total newbie questions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the first one and a total noob one too. I cant seem to find what the double sided german/allied symboled markers are used for. Are those activation markers to be put on the activated units? It doesnt show icons of those markers in the rule book.

Thank you,
Eren
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are control markers. Put them on spaces that the Central Powers or Allies have conquered (spaces they control at start of game are already colour coded to show that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few games of Paths and you start to get the rules down it will make it easier to pick up the follow up game Pursuit of Glory.
Being from Turkey, I imagine you would find it quite interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, I will pick it up someday. But now Im lost in my first round of combat and need to get things sorted.

Here is my second question: After I played the Guns of August event in my first round, I went on with an attack to Brussels with my 1st and 2nd German armies. Brussels is being defended by BR BEF and levl 1 trench. I calculated the rolls and so on and each party has a 5 loss number.
At first I thought ok I will eliminate the Bef and Eliminate one of German Armies (heh easy) but things are not like that I presume. How do I distribute the damage? Is it like this for BEF: it has a 3 loss factor so I will get 3 out of the 5 and turn it over to half strength. And then allocate the other 2 points to the half str army? And after that is the Half str army is turned into a full str Corp? (I read somewhere that the dotted armies cannot be supplied) Now Im lost and cant even calculate the German armies attacking.

Anyone to show me the light?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools
The remaing 2 loss factors are not enough to give the BEF another hit so they are ignored same goes for the German army. Thats the reason the armies which take 3 loss factors to be hit are so much stronger than the ones which need 2 loss factors to be hit.
I recommend playing the step by step example in the rule book for starters. Have fun its a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I get it, thank you. Will probably do the step by step. Its not an easy game to learn fast I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools

Best is if you can start out with someone who knows the game. If you have to do it by yourself there is the step by step example in the rule book and I believe ther is an excellent start up guide by Mr. Broesius ( not sure if I spelled the name right ) somewhere here on the geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Loss allocation can lead to weird results, especially if there are units which must take damage first. You mainly need to remember you can never go in excess of the loss number and you must always apply as much loss as possible (subject to the few units that must take the first loss if possible) Corps turning up on army elimination have to be taken into account.

There is also a quirk to stop you using the lack of corps to avoid permanent Army elimination.

As said it means there can be a big difference between armies for only a point or two difference in loss factor.

I think the way it works is one of the great features of this game as it really gives you more strategic options and decisions and after a while it becomes second nature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just another question. In combat, if one of my half str armies attack an enemy and wins without taking casualties can it advance after the enemy retreat or has it to be a full str army to advance?

Thank you again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Only full strength units may advance. No exceptions to this, ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Christian Thy wrote:
Only full strength units may advance. No exceptions to this, ever.

Yes, but:

In this example, if the attacker suffers one step loss, causing the reduced army to be replaced by a full-strength corps, it is now a full-strength unit and can advance (assuming it took fewer LP than the defender and therefore "won").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems weird and does not click with me. Think as this:

You make an offensive and lose half of your army. You obviously cant advance. But after one action round you were not able to get reinforcements / replacements and you are still in half army strenght. Then in next action round you were ordered to attack and won with minimal losses (without step loses)and the enemy retreats. Why wouldnt you advance?
In the same senario you attack and win the battle (enemy retreats) but you lose some more men and reduced to corps size (which is now considered a full unit size) and now you can advance?

Where is the logic in that? Or am I missing something?

Cheers,
Eren
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
ErenKoyunoglu wrote:
In the same senario you attack and win the battle (enemy retreats) but you lose some more men and reduced to corps size (which is now considered a full unit size) and now you can advance?

Correct.

ErenKoyunoglu wrote:
Where is the logic in that?

Logic? It's a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logic in a game for me is better but anyway, I will play as you tell to play correctly. Im just learning the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is another one about retreat:

"Defender retreats if attacker wins and at least one attacking unit is at full strength after taking losses."

Does this mean that if the attacker wins but doesnt have a full str unit (has reduced units) the defender does not retreat?

It is all because English is not my first language Thank you for your time.

Eren

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yes, that's correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much. I will keep firing more questions if I feel lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully last one for today: I understand that you can attack an empty fort from an adjacent hex (with any unit) or besiege an empty fort from the forts hex (with an army minimum OR corps equal to minimum number the forts loss factor)

Why besiege an empty fort rather than attacking an empty fort?
Is it only bacause of:

15.2.2 Once an enemy fort is besieged, other friendly units may
ignore the enemy fort for all purposes including tracing supply.

Thank you in advance,
Eren

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's one reason. Also there's no chance of taking losses in a siege.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that empty forts can only defend but do not deal damage when being attacked are they not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incorrect. Attacking a fort is just like attacking a corps, except that the fort will never retreat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch! have to check back rules again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Says:

15.1.4 Forts add their CF to the combat strength of friendly units
defending in their space

15.1.5 Forts only defend, they may not add their CF to the combat
strength of any attack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I'm not seeing how this applies. We're discussing forts defending, not attacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.