Subject: Alternate Gender Mage Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion Pack Idea: Alternate Gender cards for all the mages.

I bought Mage Wars because it actually has a feminine mage category, Priestess.

How about Alternate Gender Cards for all the Mages? There could be a Priest card, and feminine Warlocks, Beastmasters, and Wizards.

Frankly, I'd really appreciate having these cards as a woman gamer, and you could set the standard for gender balance in gaming products. Everybody would have a wider choice.

Now THAT'S customizability!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Pope
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
Great idea Ayumi! We will release alternate versions of some of the Mages in the future, with fresh new abilities. For example a female Beastmaster who is more of huntress.

Also, you'll be happy to know that each of the next 2 planned expansions has a female character: Forcemaster (female) vs. Warlord (and she is awesome! My favorite Mage.) Then Druid (female) vs. Necromancer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryan,
AWEsome that you're creating powerful women characters. I can't wait to buy the expansion and run the Beastmaster/huntress. From the previews, there are so many absolutely juicy creatures in Etheria.

Thank you!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john frink
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great idea! I'd love to see the exact same mages with the same abilities but gender switched. Dungeon twister did this for a bunch of characters and it worked really well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i was actually thinking about this, once the huntress comes out there would be nothing stoping you from using the huntress mage card, with the normal beastmasters ability card (since they are seperate) the mage card is in essence just a large picture with your mage on it for the arena board. you could use any of the picture cards.

it would be really out of place but you could use the beastmaster ability card with the warlock mage card and game play wize the effect would be just that of a beastmaster.

that brings up a question for bryan, in an official event will you be allowed to swap out one mage card for another if you stay in the same class?

what if you really like the picture of the forcemaster? could you play her as a wizard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EXACTly! Good point. This is what makes the customizable game so much fun.

I downloaded the rules and am going through them and have a question:

with the Mage races, like High Elf, Woodland Elf, Human, are there certain racial traits, ability limits, or ability enhancements to characters based on race?

There are certain, practical limits such as the Beastmaster is the only character who can have a lair--logical--but with other systems, race does impose limits and enhancements. Just wondered about MW

Once Dead/Undead categories are introduced, this will get really interesting, and more complex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i do not believe that race was a factor in thier abilities. i believe they balanced them how they wanted them and assigned the creature type, wood elf subtype just in case it became important for card interactions (for example down the road some form of conjuration might give all elf creatures +1 channeling.) not likely but they are leaving room for possible interaction based on subtype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much. Didn't see anything specific in the rules, and race traits can so easily unbalance a game.

It's mind boggling to think of all the elements that have to be weighed and balanced carefully to create a playable game. much less a playable game with so much complexity. And with so much art.

I wonder how long the creators have been working on this. It has to be a labor of love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i am not certain but i thought i remember hearing bryan saying it has been in development for about 5 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Nichols
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this game uses cards with art instead of minis, wouldn't it be possible to just have double-sided hero cards with one side male and the other female?

Perhaps, a BGG store promo expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actually that would probibly be very possible. i will try to run it by bryan if he doesnt see this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.