Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

No Retreat 3» Forums » General

Subject: Why is the Solo rating so low? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This has a 3 for solo play. I don't mind playing both sides of a two-player game. Why is this a 3?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
This has a 3 for solo play. I don't mind playing both sides of a two-player game. Why is this a 3?


Well, we did played safe rating the game, it could perhaps be a 4 or even a 5:

You have the event cards that are kept hidden from your opponents, like all other "No Retreat!" games. Like the Card-Driven-Games out there do (ex: Paths of Glory).

And you also have the secret "Plan" cards that allow you to score some "goals" points that your opponent is not sure about.

But it is playable solitaire if you don't mind "knowing" that bit of info about your opponent. I mean, I did most of my NR3 games this way and it worked just fine.

But IMHO it's probably more fun with another player, of course.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Trovato
Italy
Rome
ITALY
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
This has a 3 for solo play. I don't mind playing both sides of a two-player game. Why is this a 3?


I don't mind too, but i launched a personal crusade in favor of a clear separation between 2-players games and those games that actually have an AI or at least some scenarios, optional rules, variants or any other system specific for solo play. IMHO too many games have "1-player" in the BGG description or an high Solo rating for the fact that there are no hidden information or just nobody can stop you to play it alone
Maybe 3 is even too high compared to the first NO RETREAT that had a quite complex Solo add-on

Alex
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alextrov wrote:
IMHO too many games have "1-player" in the BGG description or an high Solo rating for the fact that there are no hidden information or just nobody can stop you to play it alone


But don't forget that the majority of "2-player" wargames, and most wargames in fact, are played solitaire nowadays... surprise

So no hidden info in a wargames means for me that it's 100% playable solitaire. But I understand your point: These are not specifically solitaire games (i.e: where you play only one side).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Trovato
Italy
Rome
ITALY
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:

But don't forget that the majority of "2-player" wargames, and most wargames in fact, are played solitaire nowadays... surprise
.


I agree completely but it has nothing to do with the game characteristics... it's more a players behaviour matter.
As a collector of "real" solo games i am happy that what was a niche is having a new gold era but this differentiation is more and more very important to me

Alex
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually prefer soloing two-player games because I find most AI games a bit boring and mechanical. I can't stand it when an AI system does something nonsensical. Plus, when I solo a two player game I am always evenly matched!

It sounds like I will give No Retreat 3 a shot. I hope to play with others as well. I love these VPG gold banner games!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
I can't stand it when an AI system does something nonsensical.


Right. Very hard to do a good solitaire game! This is why the solitaire module for "No Retreat!" is more of a semi-automatic game engine, as the played still must play most of both sides as best as he can: if he does not, well, there is a great chance he could end up on the opposing sides of the front lines, so he'd better play honest! devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
I actually prefer soloing two-player games because I find most AI games a bit boring and mechanical. I can't stand it when an AI system does something nonsensical. Plus, when I solo a two player game I am always evenly matched!

You probably have never played D-Day at Omaha Beach or RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 (not by coincidence by the hand of the same designer). These games' AI are very hard to beat. Excellent examples of how a carddriven AI can be a though opponent!
Quote:
It sounds like I will give No Retreat 3 a shot. I hope to play with others as well. I love these VPG gold banner games!


I fully concurr, VPG's gold banner series is top notch. thumbsup
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan van der Laan wrote:
atsgamer wrote:
I actually prefer soloing two-player games because I find most AI games a bit boring and mechanical. I can't stand it when an AI system does something nonsensical. Plus, when I solo a two player game I am always evenly matched!

You probably have never played D-Day at Omaha Beach or RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 (not by coincidence by the hand of the same designer). These games' AI are very hard to beat. Excellent examples of how a carddriven AI can be a though opponent!
Quote:
It sounds like I will give No Retreat 3 a shot. I hope to play with others as well. I love these VPG gold banner games!


I fully concurr, VPG's gold banner series is top notch. thumbsup


I have not played those games, but I own Omaha Beach and it needs to get to the table. I preordered Enemy Action Ardennes from the same designer. So I fully believe your recommendation!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel F.
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't find anyone to play this game with me so I'll give this one a try solo!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skaeight wrote:
Can't find anyone to play this game with me so I'll give this one a try solo!


Well, I'm not far from where you are... whistle

And why not the brand-new version, available soon from GMT (and eons better). The Vassal module is fully ready and I should get the just-printed components next week.

No Retreat 3: The French and Polish Fronts

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.