Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished reading the rules and I'll start my first play probably this weekend. 1989 didn't grab my attention during development, but I'm looking forward to it. Students, elites, intellectuals, and power struggles provide interesting twists on a game that otherwise appears to be much like Twilight Struggle.

Anyway, most of the mapboard locations are in Polish, German, Romanian, and other central and eastern European languages. I thought it would be fun to develop a pronunciation guide.

I'll get it started. I studied German for three years in high school. I'm also 3/4 Polish and 1/4 Slovak, and I know how to pronounce a lot of Polish words. Since some Slavic languages are similar, I'll take a stab at a few other words. Of course, BGG's German, Polish, and other native speakers are encouraged to correct me in the likelihood I make a few mistakes. (Please be gentle; one reason I'm creating this list is to see if my language pronunciations are accurate.) It would also be great if Magyar, Romanian, Bulgarian, Czech, and Slovak speakers helped complete the guide.

East Germany
Schwerin - SHVAIR-in
Berlin - bare-LEEN
Walter Ulbricht - VAHL-ter UL-brickt (note the German "hard c" sound is more in the back of one's throat)
Magdeburg - MOG-duh-boorg (like oo in "too")
Halle - HOLL-uh
Leipzig - LIPE-tsig
Efrurt - AIR-foort
Stadt - Shtot
Dresden - DRAYS-din (with a gutteral German "r")

Poland
Szczecin - SHTCHET-sin
Gdansk - g-DINSK (long i as in "dine")
Bydgoszcz - bid-GOSHTCH
Poznan - POSE-nin
Warszawa - var-SHAHV-ah
Bialystok - bee-AH-wi-stock
Wroclaw - VROTS-wov
Lodz - wooj (oo as in book)
Katowice - kat-oh-VEETS-uh
Krakow - KRA-kov
Lublin - LOOB-lin (oo as in book)
Jagiellonian - yog-ee-el-OWN-ee-en

Czechoslovakia
Ostrava - aw-STRAHV-ah
Bratislava - brot-i-SLAHV-ah

Hungary
Debrecen - deb-RETS-in
Szeged - SHEH-ged

Okay, some help with the rest? I'd really enjoy learning the correct pronunciations of all the mapboard place names.

Tim K.

P.S. I understand two of my great-great grandfathers are from Lodz and Bratislava.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My mother-in-law. My wife refused. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1989Game wrote:

My mother-in-law. My wife refused. shake

Thanks, Ted. I think my Polish got a passing grade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioan Mitiu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could help wit pronuncing of Romanian cities names. First of all just to note that Romanian is a strongly phonetical language so most of names are "pronounced-as-spelled" and difficulties comes mainly from special/additional vovels ... whistle
Also t and s with comma under them - ț and ș - are letters for sh and respectively tz sound.

Cluj-Napoca - as is spelled, but to be more clear maybe write it this way : Cluj Napoka ( with accent on second word ... it's something amusing here ).
Craiova - again : Kraiova.
București - something like : Bukureshti.
Constanța ~ Konstantza.
Iași ~ Yashy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you pronounce j in Cluj? Is it Cluy (as a German j), Cludj (as an English j) or Cluh (as a Spanish j) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 'Cludj' is probably closest although I tend to lengthen the 'u' sound so it's more like Clooojh.

I see no-one has given guidance on 'Szekesfehervar' yet - we have taken to calling it 'Unpronouncable' in our game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
htjester wrote:
I just finished reading the rules and I'll start my first play probably this weekend. 1989 didn't grab my attention during development, but I'm looking forward to it. Students, elites, intellectuals, and power struggles provide interesting twists on a game that otherwise appears to be much like Twilight Struggle.

Anyway, most of the mapboard locations are in Polish, German, Romanian, and other central and eastern European languages. I thought it would be fun to develop a pronunciation guide.

I'll get it started. I studied German for three years in high school. I'm also 3/4 Polish and 1/4 Slovak, and I know how to pronounce a lot of Polish words. Since some Slavic languages are similar, I'll take a stab at a few other words. Of course, BGG's German, Polish, and other native speakers are encouraged to correct me in the likelihood I make a few mistakes. (Please be gentle; one reason I'm creating this list is to see if my language pronunciations are accurate.) It would also be great if Magyar, Romanian, Bulgarian, Czech, and Slovak speakers helped complete the guide.

East Germany
Schwerin - SHVAIR-in
Berlin - bare-LEEN
Walter Ulbricht - VAHL-ter UL-brickt (note the German "hard c" sound is more in the back of one's throat)
Halle - HOLL-uh
Leipzig - LIPE-tsig
Efrurt - AIR-foort
Stadt - Shtot
Dresden - DRAYS-din (with a gutteral German "r")

Poland
Szczecin - SHTCHET-sin
Gdansk - g-DINSK (long i as in "dine")
Bydgoszcz - bid-GOSHTCH
Poznan - POSE-nin
Warszawa - var-SHAHV-ah
Bialystok - bee-AH-wi-stock
Wroclaw - VROTS-wov
Lodz - wooj (oo as in book)
Katowice - kat-oh-VEETS-uh
Krakow - KRA-kov
Lublin - LOOB-lin (oo as in book)
Jagiellonian - yog-ee-el-OWN-ee-en

Czechoslovakia
Ostrava - aw-STRAHV-ah
Bratislava - brot-i-SLAHV-ah

Hungary
Debrecen - deb-RETS-in
Szeged - SHEH-ged

Okay, some help with the rest? I'd really enjoy learning the correct pronunciations of all the mapboard place names.

Tim K.

P.S. I understand two of my great-great grandfathers are from Lodz and Bratislava.

Sorry mate I need to correct you on the Hungarian cities. Szeged is "Sehgehd" (shehged means "your ass" ). In Polish sz is pronounced as sh, but in Hungarian sz is pronounced as "s" and s is pronounced as "sh". Also, Debrecen is "dehbretzehn"

Other Hungarian cities:
Pécs - paych
Győr - jur (as in jury... not quite but close enough)
Tatabánya - tahtahbaanya (baa as in "baa baa black sheep")
Szombathely - sohmbahthay
Székesfehérvár - SaykashfaHayrvahr (the capital H is pronounced)
Miskolc - Mishkohltz
Budapest - Boodahpehsht

(links to Wikipedia sound files)
Szeged
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/Hu-Szeged...

Debrecen
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Hu-Debrec...

Pécs
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c5/Hu-P%C3%A...

Győr
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/Hu-Gy%C3%...

Miskolc
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/Hu-Miskol...

Székesfehérvár
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/Hu-Sz%C3%...

Budapest
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Hu-Budape...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioan Mitiu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
How do you pronounce j in Cluj? Is it Cluy (as a German j), Cludj (as an English j) or Cluh (as a Spanish j) ?

Like in English.
And not necessary with "long u" - like oo in English.

And let's continue :

Brașov ~ Brashov ( a is pronounced unmodified like in ... women's bra ).
Timișoara ( incidentally the city where I live now ) - this one seems to be hardest for a non-native speaker ~ Ti-mi-shoa ( pronunced like at beginning of "one" in English ) -ra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't checked this thread in a while. Coincidentally I see in the last few days there's been some new posts. Thanks to all for your inputs. Still hope we can get some Bulgarians, Czechs, and Slovaks to chime in.

vidra wrote:
Sorry mate I need to correct you on the Hungarian cities. Szeged is "Sehgehd" (shehged means "your ass" ). In Polish sz is pronounced as sh, but in Hungarian sz is pronounced as "s" and s is pronounced as "sh".

Interesting, I did not know that. Thanks for the clarification.

vidra wrote:
Also, Debrecen is "dehbretzehn"

Is that eh as the Canadians say it, rhymes with "day"? Or a short e as in "let"?

Perhaps your links answer these questions. I'll take a look.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
htjester wrote:
I haven't checked this thread in a while. Coincidentally I see in the last few days there's been some new posts. Thanks to all for your inputs. Still hope we can get some Bulgarians, Czechs, and Slovaks to chime in.

vidra wrote:
Sorry mate I need to correct you on the Hungarian cities. Szeged is "Sehgehd" (shehged means "your ass" :) ). In Polish sz is pronounced as sh, but in Hungarian sz is pronounced as "s" and s is pronounced as "sh".

Interesting, I did not know that. Thanks for the clarification.

vidra wrote:
Also, Debrecen is "dehbretzehn"

Is that eh as the Canadians say it, rhymes with "day"? Or a short e as in "let"?

Perhaps your links answer these questions. I'll take a look.

Tim

It's like "a" in bad, sad, mad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Straßmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

interesting thread :-)

I would like to add some comments on the German section:

htjester wrote:

That one's really difficult to explain in writing; the sound does not exist in English in the same way "th" doesn't in German.

Quote:

The "a" should be pronounced like in "past" or "far", the "e" like in "text".

Quote:

Halle - HOLL-uh
Stadt - Shtot
Dresden - DRAYS-din

See above.

My 2ct ;-)

Marcus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.