Ernest Chua
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The West Australian Boardgaming Association Inc. ('WABA') has held a Reiner Knizia’s Decathlon competition at previous Decembacons (see here, here and here). As a tie-in to the Olympics that were held at the same time and to fit with the unofficial sports-games themed WABA meet, WABA decided to hold a Reiner Knizia’s Decathlon meet at the 2012 WABA August Mt Claremont meet.

We set up a table with the dice, score sheets and pens (thanks to Warren for supplying them). I was responsible for this competition throughout the day (continuing my role from previous WABA run RK's Decathlon events), essentially making sure there were no problems and collecting completing score sheets. We promoted this at our guild, by word of mouth during the day (at least I did) and during our announcement. Eleven people eventually took part throughout the day.

[Lots of numbers and data to come, skip to The Final Results if uninterested]

100 Metres
The 3 highest scores were 37 (Scott M) [New World Record!*], 31 (Clayton) and 27 (Ernest), the lowest score 16 and the mean score 25.45.

110 Metre Hurdles
The 3 highest scores were 24 (Jason and Rowland), 23 (Clayton) and 22 (Warren and Judson), the lowest score 17 and the mean score 21.18.

Long Jump
The 3 highest scores were 29 (Clayton and Oliver), 26 (Ernest, Nyssa and Mark) and 24 (Scott M, Judson and Jason), the lowest score 16 and the mean score 23.55.

Discus
Top 3 scores were 28 (Rowland), 24 (Ernest, Warren, Jason and Mark) and 22 (Judson), lowest 0 and mean 19.82.

Shot Put
Top 3 scores were 31 (Eric), 28 (Rowland) and 22 (Scott M), lowest 0 and mean 18.73.

Pole-Vault
Top 3 scores were 32 (Ernest), 26 (Scott M) and 24 (Nyssa), lowest 0 and mean 15.64.

High Jump
Top 3 score were 24 (Oliver), 22 (Ernest, Clayton, Mark and Rowland) and 20 (Nyssa, Scott M and Jason), lowest 16 and mean 20.36.

Javelin
Top 3 scores were 26 (Mark), 25 (Eric) and 24 (Scott M and Warren), lowest 11 and mean 20.55.

400 Metres
Top 3 scores were 30 (Clayton and Oliver), 29 (Eric and Warren) and 28 (Nyssa), lowest 5 and mean 21.82.

1500 Metres
Top 3 scores were 37 (Warren), 36 (Oliver, Judson and Mark) and 34 (Ernest), lowest 28 and mean 31.64.

The Final Results
The mean score was 218.73. A dishonourable mention goes to Rowland for the lowest score of 191. Although he achieved meet highs in in the 110m hurdles and discus, he had meet lows in long jump, pole vault, 400m and 1500m. If it's any consolation Rowland, you were only 7 points behind the next placed competitor!

A credible mention goes to the third placegetter, Oliver, with a score of 234. Oliver's score included 3 meet highs in long jump, high jump and 400m.

An honourable mention goes to the second placegetter, Clayton, with a score of 235, just 1 point above Oliver. His score included 2 meet highs in long jump and 400m. He was one of only two competitors that did not have any meet lows (the other competitor who achieved this came 5th), and all this in what I believe was his first WABA meet.

The winner of the 2012 WABA August Mt Claremont Decathlon Meet, drawing inspiration from the Olympics and managing to claw to victory, balancing the meet low in javelin with a meet high in pole vault, scoring 237 points, was Ernest - me!

Reflections and Odds and Ends
This competition is an easy competition to run (compared to others we have run). The rules are largely self-explanatory, with only minimal explaination required.

We had only 11 people take part, compared to 23 people at the 2011 WABA Decembacon and 18 people at 2010 WABA Decembacon. I thnk this was because we decided to hold it at a meet other than Decembacon (to coincide with the Olympics) making it unexpected to people who are used to it only at Decembacon meets and didn't have regular announcements during the day (as we have at Decembacon) to promote it. I expect more people to take part when we hold it at the next Decembacon.

As usual, I liked having the event open until a set time. This allowed people to play throughout the day. However, it didn't turn out that way - I seem to remember three batches of people playing it. A large part would be due to the many people not knowing about it.

Five people fell below the mean and six people fell above the mean. The most punishing event was the pole-vault, with three competitors failing to get any score. Once again, a competitor who came to his first WABA meet came 2nd. Special mention must again be made of Scott M who set a new world record* in the 100 metres, and Clayton and Nyssa, who were the only two competitors who did not record meet lows in any events (and came 2nd and 5th respectively).

I look forward to this being run at future WABA meets, and particularly at the 2012 WABA Decembacon.

*World Records found here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Searles
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rigged yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest Chua
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I deny all accusations. And anyway, how does one rig a dice-rolling game?

Edit: And as Scott pointed out below, you were sitting at the same table as me for those rolls!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott Murray
Australia
Ridgewood
West Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL its funnier considering we were all sitting on the same table to do those rolls

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.