Omen: A Reign of War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Blinded Visionary, Seeker of Serenity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
H
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) In the case of Blinded Visionary, can my opponent choose the option to discard 1 card when he has no cards in hand, or is he forced to lose 1 coin since he is not able to discard a card, and vice versa? Is it up to me to choose getting a card or coin regardless of his choice or do I get a coin/card depending on if he loses a coin or discards a card?

Blinded Visionary
Discord—During your Portent step, reveal the top card of the deck. If an Oracle is revealed, the opposing player chooses to lose 1 coin or discard 1 card and you gain 1 coin or draw 1 card.

2) In the case of Seeker of Serenity, if an oracle is not revealed, does it mean I get to draw 1 card and gain 1 coin?
Is the intention of the card:
"If an Oracle is revealed, gain 2 coins or draw 2 cards. If an Oracle is not revealed, draw 1 card and gain 1 coin"
or is the intention:
"If an Oracle is revealed, [choose one: gain 2 coins, draw 2 cards, or gain 1 coin and draw 1 card]"?

Seeker of Serenity
Grace—During your Portent step, reveal the top card of the deck. If an Oracle is revealed, gain 2 coins or draw 2 cards, or draw 1 card and gain 1 coin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For question number 2 the answer is definitely the second option: choose one from the 3 possibilities.

For first one, I'd say he has to lose a coin if he has no cards (reasonable thinking), but I can't back it up by any rule right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Palíndromo
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with both of Bart's answers.

My question is:
Once the top card of the deck is revealed (Oracle or not) do you place it right back on top or do you shuffle it back into the deck? I say shuffle, but I could be wrong.
Does someone out there have a definite answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ciidiic wrote:
I agree with both of Bart's answers.

My question is:
Once the top card of the deck is revealed (Oracle or not) do you place it right back on top or do you shuffle it back into the deck? I say shuffle, but I could be wrong.
Does someone out there have a definite answer?

Page 15 of the rules ( section on Other Things You May Have missed) state that revealed cards are put into the discard pile unless otherwise stated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Question 1, it happened during a game that my friend said that he could choose the option to discard a card even if he does not have any card in hand since there is nothing to say he can't choose to do so otherwise.
For the sake of doubt and continuing game play, he decided that he should lose a coin.

I am wondering does one have to choose options/penalties that one can fulfill to the best of one's ability, or can one choose options that have the least negative or no effect to oneself like choosing to discard a card when one has no cards in hand or choosing to lose a coin when one has no coins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do what it says, not what it doesn't.

If you are required to discard 2 cards, and you only have 1 in hand, then you discard 1. You don't discard coins, or cards from the top of your deck, or cards from your opponent's hand, or bagels from the kitchen counter.

You don't 'choose' which penalties to take. You do what the card says, period.

-Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"If an Oracle is revealed, the opposing player chooses to lose 1 coin or discard 1 card and you gain 1 coin or draw 1 card."

So can my opponent "choose" the option to discard a card even if he does not have any in his hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the old, I must do either A or B. Now if A is unavailable must I do B or do I treat A as a legal NOP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is the way we play it.

-Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A card makes my opponent CHOOSE option A or option B.
He choose option B. He can't perform it. Is that ok?
My opponent can insist that the action enforced upon him is just him making the choice of options regardless of his ability to perform either option.

I think this is not covered in the rules. I hope the designer can clarify.
Please let me know if he has already covered this in case I missed his post elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j clowdus
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The opposing player has to do one or the other. If he has no coins to lose, he much choose to discard 1 card. If he has no cards in hand, he much choose to lose 1 coin. If he has both cards and coins, he obviously has a choice.

In the event that the opposing player had neither cards or coins, he wouldn't be able to choose either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks John. Now I know I've been playing it wrong this whole time laugh

-Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.