Subject: Locked die - a requirement for completing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if it was already answered, but I cannot find any answers right now.
If a monster has a "locked die" square on it, can it be "completed" even when there's no die locked on this square? (due to it being locked on another monster/card ?) What about the same situation with an adventure card?
Currently I have ruled that having a dice on a "lock" square is not required for completing a monster or an adventure. But then I've noticed that the rules book calls this "lock" square a "requirement", so I'm not sure now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's put it this way, if say the yellow die is locked, it means the yellow die cannot be used until unlocked. If, then, a character who has no capability to obtain the yellow die tries to unlock it, he or she may may proceed to do so and the lock has no effect with regards to that particular attempt.

So it doesn't matter if it's on another card. What matters is that it is not used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
schizoid wrote:
Sorry if it was already answered, but I cannot find any answers right now.
If a monster has a "locked die" square on it, can it be "completed" even when there's no die locked on this square? (due to it being locked on another monster/card ?) What about the same situation with an adventure card?
Currently I have ruled that having a dice on a "lock" square is not required for completing a monster or an adventure. But then I've noticed that the rules book calls this "lock" square a "requirement", so I'm not sure now.

The locked die is a requirement, so for example if you turn up a task that requires the Red die to be locked and you have already locked the Red die on another task then the requirement on the new task has already been fulfilled effectively.

In this case, the Red die doesn't need to be on that actual task, it just has to be locked somewhere. Once the Red die is locked then it fulfils all the tasks that require a Red die to be locked.

You can complete any of the tasks that now have a Red die locked icon (obviously you have to complete the task without the aid of the Red die). If you do complete the task that the Red die happens to be on, then you simply move the Red die to one of the other tasks that has the Red die locked icon.

Hope that made sense
schizoid wrote:

So, just to be clear. You can complete a monster with a locked die icon even when there is no die on the icon (as long as that particular die is locked somewhere).

It doesn't matter if the locked die icon is on an Adventure card or on a monster marker.

Also note that it's a bit different for the Green dice since you should always be able to lock a Green die since there are six of them and I don't think there are more than six locations that have a Green locked die icon (but I haven't actually counted). Even so, I think you should get the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for quick answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
The locked die is a requirement, so for example if you turn up a task that requires the Red die to be locked and you have already locked the Red die on another task then the requirement on the new task has already been fulfilled effectively.

In this case, the Red die doesn't need to be on that actual task, it just has to be locked somewhere. Once the Red die is locked then it fulfils all the tasks that require a Red die to be locked.

So, just to be clear. You can complete a monster with a locked die icon even when there is no die on the icon (as long as that particular die is locked somewhere).

I completely disagree. A locked die is a requirement, if the red die is locked on monster A, you cannot defeat monster B if it also has a red lock icon on it that is empty.

In order to defeat a monster or a card, all dice spots must simultaneously have dice assigned to them. Monster B has an empty spot, it cannot be defeated (yet).

In order to defeat monster B, you must first defeat monster A, which will then cause the die to move automatically move to B. *Now* you can attempt to kill B.

I see no support anywhere in the rules or faq to suggest that a locked die in one place counts globally for all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just noticed that FFG have put new revised rules online. The new rules do not have "locked die icon" in the list of "requirements" anymore. So, although it's not said explicitly, I think we can safely assume that "locked die icon" is not required to solve a task, it's just some kind of a game effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
I completely disagree. A locked die is a requirement, if the red die is locked on monster A, you cannot defeat monster B if it also has a red lock icon on it that is empty.

In order to defeat a monster or a card, all dice spots must simultaneously have dice assigned to them. Monster B has an empty spot, it cannot be defeated (yet).

In order to defeat monster B, you must first defeat monster A, which will then cause the die to move automatically move to B. *Now* you can attempt to kill B.

I see no support anywhere in the rules or faq to suggest that a locked die in one place counts globally for all.

I don't understand why you think that. The rules do state that if a die is already locked somewhere, then it doesn't move if a new locked die icon appears. They don't say that you must succed at the task where the die is currently locked before attempting any other tasks that would lock that die.

And while the locking of a die is a requirement for some tasks (or was, since schizoid says the rules have changed), I don't see anywhere that says it's a requirement for the die to be locked on that adventure -- as far as I can see, it just has to be locked somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Mark & Chris.

The difficulty of the adventure is precisely the same whether the die is locked on it, or on another card. The point is that you have to complete that adventure without using the locked die.

To then add the gloss that you can't even attempt the card till you've removed the die from another is, I think, to add a rule that doesn't appear anywhere in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:

This is an assumption and incorrect.

TO simply put a Locked DIE Icon is a global effect that simply prevents that dies usage. IT is not a requirement to be filled by a specific entity.

IF a locked die Icon exists on any element in the game play area that die is locked and cannot be used period. Players must defeat those elements to -FREE- the die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jolly
United Kingdom
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
xris wrote:

This is an assumption and incorrect.

TO simply put a Locked DIE Icon is a global effect that simply prevents that dies usage. IT is not a requirement to be filled by a specific entity.

IF a locked die Icon exists on any element in the game play area that die is locked and cannot be used period. Players must defeat those elements to -FREE- the die.

Scott

I don't know if you are right, but that is certainly the way I have been playing it...

If you could use dice brought in from outside (say from a second copy of the game) it might make more sense interpreted a different way. Of course the rules I have don't say you can't do that, but I'm kind of assuming.....

Cheers,

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure most people are clear on this issue, but the rules only say that if there are any adventures or monsters out with the locked die icon, then you can't use that die. That's how it is treated in Omens as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.