Subject: Help to get a teenager started rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm helping my fourteen year old neighbor to get started in MTG with three friends without breaking the bank. The guys play D & D RPG and dungeon crawls. He's run a Wizard and a halfling Fighter very successfully and wants to translate that into MTG casual play.

He's here in the living room, now, smiling and unboxing his new Deck Builder's Toolkit in the black box. We're all pretty clueless, but eager.

How can he use the 285 cards to build a solid deck for himself and to create a world that can support consistent play? Will this set give him enough to start? He tells me that he'll need a few rare and uncommon cards. I know that this game can get expensive, and he's on a very tight budget.

We live in a small town two hours from bookstores and game shops, so rely on the Internet for information and purchases, and we'd really appreciate any recommendations you might have.

Thx,
Ayumi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
You do not need rare cards to have fun and build a fun deck to play.

I just spent $17, with shipping, on 500+ non-land commons and uncommons from Avacyn Restrored and some other sets. Bing or Google Magus Of Magic. Most of the cards I ordered were $0.02 each. (Magus limits you to 5 cards max per card.) You can get some VERY cheap and VERY powerful cards for super cheap. Took me about 2 hours to find all the cards I from Avacyn Restored.

Next, Google or Bing, Pauper Magic. That's playing with only commons. There are some decent commons only decks out there.

You do not need to break the bank building a deck. Pick a theme, color, etc and build your deck around what you have.

Happy deckbuilding! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ayumi_Hakase wrote:
He's here in the living room, now, smiling and unboxing his new Deck Builder's Toolkit in the black box. We're all pretty clueless, but eager.

The image this evoked made me smile. I wish I could go back to that.

I second the above poster: you do not need expensive cards to have fun with magic (note that rare does not equal expensive). Don't go overboard even with quantity at first, have fun with what you have and expand only when it gets stale. You will have tons of fun without spending a lot of money.

Have fun! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Ayumi_Hakase wrote:
...How can he use the 285 cards to build a solid deck for himself and to create a world that can support consistent play?
A) Sort out the cards into the 5 colors & see what you have to work with.
B) Pick 2 colors, maybe one color you want to use & one color you have a lot of cards to choose from (or, alternatively, the color of a particular nice Rare that you managed to pull & want to use.)
C) A deck is usually 60 cards, so take 24 lands (half-and-half between the 2 land colors you chose) and complement those with 36 other cards, maybe split evenly with 18 creatures and 18 "other" (instants/sorceries/enchantments/etc.) spells.

This gets you started with a deck that you can try out and refine from there, adding/subtracting cards along the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One way to play Magic while spending less money is to draft.

Do you know what that is? To "draft," each person needs three booster packs from the same set. Like, M13. This will cost somewhere from $6.75 to $9.00 per person. That may sound like a lot, but bear with me. You have the cards when you're done! Also, if each person pays his own way, it's cheaper than a movie ticket.

Each person gets three packs. Each person opens one pack, looks at the cards in it, takes one card, and passes the rest of the cards to the person on the left. Do this again, and keep doing it until all the cards are gone. Now, each person opens a second pack, looks at it, takes one card and passes the rest to the right. Do this again, and keep doing this until all the cards are gone. Now take the last pack per person and do the same thing again, but pass the cards to the left. Each person will keep the cards he or she chose. Those are your cards now.

Now each person takes the cards that he or she chose from the packs, and builds a 40-card deck. Use the basic lands that came in your Deckbuilder's toolkit.

OK? Now you play one another. Play with these decks until you get tired of them.

Then, take the cards you drafted, and combine them with the other cards you own, and build 60-card decks, and play with those a while.

Here's the thing -- if you got any valuable cards, you can hang onto them, or you can trade them at a store for more packs.

When you want more cards, draft again. Your collection(s) keep(s) getting bigger, and you get double duty with your cards because you played draft decks with them and played nondraft decks with them. The draft games are really fair, because everybody had to take cards from the same kind of packs. The expense is modest, because you only buy more packs every now and then. Sometimes there's no expense, because occasionally you pull a valuable card that you can trade for three more packs, or even more than three.

Also, you're getting better at drafting, which is an important tournament format!

This is what I recommend for people who don't have a lot of money to spend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Dual decks are another option, 2 premade decks for $20. They come out with a new one every 6 months or so, don't bother with the older ones people want too much money for those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe we can retitle this thread: MTG on a budget.

HA! Great suggestions for drafting and duel decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.