Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Andersen
United States
Athens
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Does anyone know how many new scenarios are in the Rune Age expansion and what they are called and are about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 I think. seems slim, but I'll take anything that adds to this wonderful deck builder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3245

Both designed for multiplayer, one has you trying to take control of some sites, presumably new city cards (or city-like cards), and the second is a one-versus-many game that puts me in mind of Runebound: Midnight. Nothing really for the solo player, but it's still an auto-buy for me because of the other new cards due - I just can't wait to get my grubby little mitts on this!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they work for solo play too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Yackel
United States
Vadnais Heights
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
munchkinloser7 wrote:
Does anyone know how many new scenarios are in the Rune Age expansion and what they are called and are about?

This is from memory of the Realms of Terrinoth 2012 event, so take what I say with an appropriate grain of salt.

There are two new scenarios. Also, some new cards are added to some of the existing scenarios. Some of the new cards allow the dragon scenario of the base game to be played co-op. The two new scenarios are overlord and power (not sure what the second one is actually called).

In Overlord, the first player fights the remaining players. He/she gets all of the rewards from the event deck as well as other neat benefits such as enemies that do nasty things to the allied players. The overlord wins this scenario if all of the allied players die. The allied players win if the overlord dies. One of the neutral cards in this scenario says "Action: All allied players take 1 damage to their home realm." If the overlord gets his hands on a few of these, the players get into bad shape fast. It's really tough to win as the allied players.

In the other new scenario, there are a few neutral legendary locations that look a lot like cities. You attack them just cites and they have an auto defense bonus too if controlled by a player. Each of this locations is worth a certain number of points (the ones I saw were all 2 or 3). If you control a legendary location at the beginning of your turn, you score that much power. First person to 20 power wins. You don't attack each other's home realms (I think you still can though...you just steal a power from them instead or something).

This power scenario is easily my new favorite way to play, no question. While I do enjoy the co-op scenarios, I've never liked that you don't get to use all of the "destroy a unit" abilities that makes the game so fun. This power scenario though removes the negatives of the dragon and rune wars scenarios (imbalanced decks, player elimination, etc.) and still keeps all the good stuff (the awesome player-to-player combat tactics). Super fun, and I'm so excited to be able to buy this expansion soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all that information Steven!

From your description, the power scenario sounds like it has a lot of potential for some great PVP.

The Overlord scenario could potentially have balance issues depending on the number of players, so I'm curious to see how they pull that off.

I think the expanded faction and unit choices are really what are going to make the expansion shine, though, and hopefully this combined with the new scenarios will finally get the game to the point that we all wanted it to be when it was first announced.

I almost feel like the original Rune Age set was a sort of concept demo, fun but somewhat limited and imperfectly balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.