Popular Tags: [View All]
Blake Davis
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Figures cannot "end its movement in the same space as another figure."
When performing a move action, you "may interrupt his movement to perform another action, such as attacking..."

Can you interrupt your movement to attack while sharing another figure's space, provided you end your movement after in another space?

My inclination is to say no. I don't really see it spelled out in the book beyond what's above, so I can foresee some arguments. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karui_Kage wrote:

My inclination is to say no. I don't really see it spelled out in the book beyond what's above, so I can foresee some arguments. Thoughts?

I agree with your inclination, and I don't see it in the rules, either. Plenty of argument on this site about this point. We're likely to disallow this, even if the FAQ somehow says it's OK.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
In my experience, if the rules don't say "no" then it is an implied "yes".

Especially in this circumstance since it explicitly states you may attack at any point on your move and makes no mention of restrictions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Davis
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sparticuse wrote:

Especially in this circumstance since it explicitly states you may attack at any point on your move and makes no mention of restrictions.

The problem is, if you allow it, it can cause a few more problems. For example, let's say you have a Berserker who has Counter Attack. He attacks after being attacked with a weapon that Immobilizes the monster. What now? One would assume it is shunted to a nearby open space, but of who's choice?

In my opinion, allowing attacks while in the same space as another figure just brings up more issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sparticuse wrote:

In my experience, if the rules as written by FFG don't say "no" then it's completely up in the air as to the intent.

This hasn't come up in my group - if it does we'll likely disallow it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CletusVanDamme wrote:

In my experience, if the rules as written by FFG don't say "no" then it's completely up in the air as to the intent.

Thanks. Made my day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
except it's not up in the air. One rule says "you may attack in the middle of a move" and another rule says "you may move through allies during a move, but you may not end your move sharing a space"

You aren't ending your move, therefor the rules don't say you can't attack from inside a space. You may feel that's not proper, but it's not prohibited by the RAW.

FF is good about getting FAQs out though, so eventually we will find out if they really intended for that to be a possibility. Their play testers are REALLY picky about finding loopholes like that though. I find it highly unlikely this flew under their radar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morgan
United Kingdom
Grays
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sparticuse wrote:

Hmmm I always go the other way that's it not allowed unless stated. Otherwise should the rules not say that a pet hamster isn't allowed to charge onto the board knocking over all figures in its path? Any heros affected by this are knocked out whilst any monster is defeated. If you always implied that, if a scenario is not mentioned, then you can do it, the rule book would be pretty big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sparticuse wrote:
Their play testers are REALLY picky about finding loopholes like that though. I find it highly unlikely this flew under their radar.

You're kidding, right?

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these FFG bashers you see hanging around the place, I've given them plenty of money and in return they've provided me with a lot of entertainment over the years. But to be frank, their playtesting department (and QA in general) is far from their strong point. I can absolutely see this loophole going through unnoticed - I've seen far, far more obvious stuff getting through their testing process.

Like I said, not bashing, but let's be realistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Oord
Netherlands
SNAKKERBUREN
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CletusVanDamme wrote:
...it's completely up in the air...

It Is up in the air actually, as written on this forum before when an elemental uses its air-action (becomes fog-like allowing heroes to pass through) it can make an almost invulnerable blockade other monsters are right behind it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveMorgan wrote:
Sparticuse wrote:

Hmmm I always go the other way that's it not allowed unless stated. Otherwise should the rules not say that a pet hamster isn't allowed to charge onto the board knocking over all figures in its path? Any heros affected by this are knocked out whilst any monster is defeated. If you always implied that, if a scenario is not mentioned, then you can do it, the rule book would be pretty big.

A written rule is not restricted unless stated. You can't add whatever restrictions you can imagine to a rule by noting that the rules didn't tell you not add the restrictions. Otherwise, as you say, the rulebook would be pretty big.

Can you interrupt your move to attack in water? It's not explicitly stated.
Can you interrupt your move to attack in an empty space? It's not explicitly stated.
Can you interrupt your move to attack with a two-handed weapon? It's not explicitly stated.
Can you interrupt your move to attack a master monster? It's not explicitly stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Doom and Descent 1 you couldn't attack while on another figure. I hope they errata Descent 2 to be consistent with this. Otherwise where do you put your figure while you: eastablish LOS, get and roll the dice, count range and damage, apply surges, tap skills, incur fatigue, place wounds, remove effected figures, draw bonus cards, and suffer any retaliation. Attacking is complex enough you'll want to put your figure down in it's space. A good game design should work physically with it's components and putting two 1-inch figures in a 1-inch space doesn't work physically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karui_Kage wrote:
The problem is, if you allow it, it can cause a few more problems. For example, let's say you have a Berserker who has Counter Attack. He attacks after being attacked with a weapon that Immobilizes the monster. What now? One would assume it is shunted to a nearby open space, but of who's choice?

In my opinion, allowing attacks while in the same space as another figure just brings up more issues.

I agree it opens up issues and should be proscribed.

But the issue you raise is funny - Immobilize, as written, has no effect on an in-progress move action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CletusVanDamme wrote:
But to be frank, their playtesting department (and QA in general) is far from their strong point.

Quoted for truth.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain BONNEAU
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terah wrote:
A good game design should work physically with it's components and putting two 1-inch figures in a 1-inch space doesn't work physically.

… And here come the big heart-shaped damage counters that no one knows where to place to denote a wounded monster.

--
Buggy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
mbmbmbmbmb
To get back to the OP question.

When interrupting the move action to make an attack, you have to put the miniature on the board, which is not possible, if the space is occupied already. Issue solved.

Best regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. This topic, simular in many variations, has been discussed in other threads.

You can't interupt/stop your turn; monster OR hero, to stand on top of another monster/hero, to make an attack or do an action.

If this was ever allowed, you could throw a majority of the stratagies in this game out the window; a 50 story window. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain BONNEAU
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
If this was ever allowed, you could throw a majority of the stratagies in this game out the window; a 50 story window.

What strategies are you thinking of? Have you got examples, maybe?

--
Buggy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven O'Shea
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
murks666 wrote:
To get back to the OP question.

When interrupting the move action to make an attack, you have to put the miniature on the board, which is not possible, if the space is occupied already. Issue solved.

Best regards

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What strategies are you thinking of? Have you got examples, maybe?

Any stratagies that would require you to have to stop movement on top of another figure to do them. I have no examples because I/we have never done them because they are not allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain BONNEAU
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
Any stratagies that would require you to have to stop movement on top of another figure to do them. I have no examples because I/we have never done them because they are not allowed.

Weren't you talking about legit strategies that would become useless if acting in the same space as a friendly figure was ever authorized?

Purple Paladin wrote:
If this was ever allowed, you could throw a majority of the stratagies in this game out the window; a 50 story window.

(sorry, english is not my primary language: I might well have misunderstood your sentence...)

--
Buggy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnpatrick Marr
United States
Buffalo
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I do think allowing this would disrupt the playbalance of the game. My group ruled (against the overlord's wishes) to not allow this. One example is how gamebreaking Kobolds could potentially become.

The rules specify that if large based monsters were to do the same thing they must legally "Expand" first. I think a more conservative ruling here supports that spirit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Paget
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I e mailed ffg with this question and the answer is you have to be in an empty space when you interrupt movement to perform another action...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Eucker
United States
Cedar Grove
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think this can best be resolved if we look at the rules for LARGE MONSTERS on page 16. I know, I know, we are not talking about large monsters here BUT I think the execution of interrupted movement is intended to be consistant.

That being: When the figure ends (or interrupts) its movement, the ... player places the ... figure on the board. If it cannot be placed on the map, then it cannot end (or interrupt) its movement in that space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.