Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
hmm why are images urls not showing ?

Kursk receives air supply:

West of Kursk L'Gov forces make a run for it.

...grr. oh well nevermind then.
EDIT: wow...so some hours later the images show up. amazing. BGG or link provider I wonder>?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Walton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Kev, nice pictures. I have been following the reports. It seems to me that you have got the Axis tactics OK, but I think that has been helped by a poorer display from the Soviets. I realise that you are soloing this game, and learning the system as well, and I will also add that I think the Soviets are a more difficult side to play. However, I do think that any Soviet forces which try to "mix it" with the Axis early on are in a world of hurt. Mobile warfare is not the Soviet strongpoint, the Axis will run rings around them. The Soviet strengths are more supply, artillery, hogs in a good defensive position, and massed infantry attacks with a Q4 cavalry leading. To be honest, these don't really come into play in this scenario. Keep on enjoying the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks Keith great tips. I was in fact casting about aimlessly wondering when the soviets would have something to do. Indeed I have forgotten about Hedgehogs here. The Soviets for sure could benefit from the extra defensive punch. I also need to move an HQ to the rear to support the troops there.

I was considering moving units back and thinning out the defense of Bryansk.

I think this needs to be played more as a whole versus a single mapper. But it has been instructive. At the moment it feels like the Soviets need to adopt the same or similar strategy the Germans/Axis forces do in SPII, use Arty units in Reserve to DG potential attackers nearby, and be a bit more reactive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Walton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Kev, you are 100% correct in saying that the full campaign will play out differently to the smaller scenarios. As an example, the rail lines exiting the map at C2935 and C3235 will almost certainly be rendered inoperable as supply sources in a full campaign game, due to the actions of the Axis on map B. That will happen on turn 1 most likely. So the Bryansk situation will be somewhat different to your current experience.
There should be a game of GB2 beginning very soon, a 4 player vassal undertaking, in which I am the Soviet south commander. I can send you the game logs if you are interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Keith, do ducks float?
YES!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Walton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
OK, I will keep you updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to play Keith!
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Oh yeah! I am !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
As I look at the scenario it seems that Brynsk as a target is worthwhile if the weather poops itself early, but other wise struggling along going deeper for the 10 vps would be 'easier' subject to supply..which will be compunded by weather I suppose a the later stages.

One challenge I had/have was having Soviet HQs in the rear to support throwing supply for any type of hedgehogs.

I moved one last turn (Turn4). If the Germans clear the rail to Kursk they have a nice dual rail line potential to Orel.

Seems like throwing speed bumps is not worth it, better let the Germans come and over extend, and be deeply entrenched in the VP cities or choke points.

But still need to penetrate deeper for more VP's or encircle Bryansk.

I'm looking at what happened historically and it seems there was quiet a pause to eliminate those units. Regardless if a push can be made with enough of the wagons cobbled together for another extender this could be fun!

my email for log files is: hipshott@gmail dot com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.