Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My sons and I are working on a random quest campaign and I wanted to ask ppl here what they thought about something....
-When deciding how to make Exp progression work, would you mostly base it on...
a. # of monster groups opposing heroes?
b. size of the dungeon?
c. nature of the mission?
d. some combination of above?

Just looking for ideas from the great community here...
all ideas are welcomed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d) combination, Don't really think there is a set formula for gauging such, kind of have to balance out the reward based on the risk, how the quest is skewed - ie if it really favors the heroes or the Overlord and how drastic the effects are campaign-wise for the victor / loser.

As for my own idea of a random quest generator, I got out my Road to Legends set and had a look at the cards, particularly the encounter ones.
Where you would draw a random map card which showed you the layout and any special rules for that map, and the encounter itself.

Some of those cards you could almost use 'as-is' with the exception of the Threat cost that particular monsters had to power special abilities / reinforcements.
My initial idea was to save up unused monster surges as threat - though it makes it much more random than the steady and sure increase per round.

Maybe make up a whole bunch of maps, and then cards for each of those maps with their layout and rules.

For example.
Howling Chasm: any ranged attacks need 3 more range to hit than normal.
Woods outside town: If the heroes win the encounter on this map, shop items are reduced in cost by 25 gold.
If the Overlord wins this encounter, shop items are increased in cost by 50 gold.

The make up a whole bunch of encounter cards stating the monster groups used, and maybe a mission for them as their condition of winning.
For example.

The Horde: Goblins, Kobolds, Giants.
If more than half of the monsters can escape off the map from the players starting area, or if you can Knockout each hero once, you win.

Being randomly drawn with the Map card and the Encounter card could always lead to balance issues, but it a way of doing a random quest generator.
This way the monsters will be suited to their quest, and the map which sets the location will have a relevance on the ongoing campaign.

How does that sound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple more card ideas

Encounter Card
The Giants Treaty
Monster Groups: (ONLY 1 each of 4 square based figures - best type available)
2 heroes Goblin, Giant and Ogre.
3 heroes Goblin, Giant, Ogre and Ettin.
4 Heroes - Goblin, Giant, Ogre, Ettin and Troll.

Reinforcements: 1 goblin per turn, adhering to limits.
Player Victory Condition: Kill all giants, ogres, ettins, and trolls.
Overlord Victory Condition: Total party KO or something like that, or score 1 fatigue when you KO a hero, victory when fatigue count = 2 x Heroes.

Basically a meeting of giants to form and alliance, heroes have to break it up, if the giants win they learn that they actually can work well together.

March of the Dead
Monster Groups: Skeletons, Zombies, Flesh Moulders.
Reinforcements: 1 skeleton or zombie per Flesh Moulder still alive, adhering to limits, reinforcements enter near center of the map.
Player Victory Condition: Kill all flesh Moulders.
Overlord Victory Condition: escape X number of skeletons / zombies off the map. X = something, maybe 3x the number of heroes?

A gathering of Flesh Moulders raising up undead for their army, each one that escapes off the map joins said army.

This would need more work, but I hope you get the basic idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.