Subject: A competitive and cooperative game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas DeSantis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm talking about a game where first the players work competitively to win the game, but then realize they have to work cooperatively in order for anyone to have a chance at winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly Dungeon Run?
Everyone will need to work together to get to and defeat the boss at the end of the dungeon, but then it's all on to grab the summoning stone he drops and race out of the dungeon.
To be honest it fell a bit flat with my gaming group but might be what you are looking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sanderlin
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one is easy! It's The Lord of the Rings: Nazgul

You are all competing against eachother but you have to cooperate somewhat in order to get things done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic also offer this to some degree. There are multiple ways of playing that game; co-op everyone against the monsters, co-op with one winner, competitive, and even single player game! And I am guessing that help is needed to succeed, because players don`t want to lose the castle to the monsters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
The Republic of Rome works this way. No one wins if Rome falls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
Cutthroat Caverns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably not quite the sense in which you meant the question, but:

War On Terror The Boardgame.

Each player starts out as an Empire, competing against each of the other player's Empires, but as an Empire gets defeated the Empire's player becomes part of the co-operating group of Terrorist players (who's aim is to beat the remaining Empires)! Empire players may also choose to 'turn Terrorist' at any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a new game Archipelago coming out in a couple of months.

Compete vs each other, but work with all other players to keep the game from beating everyone via revolt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Target Earth if played in that mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan klimus
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cutthroat caverns :)

You have to kill monsters together, but only one wins at the end. Backstabbing cooperative game :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Geuss
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the upcoming Fallen City of Karez from your fellow countryman. From what little I've read you're trying to rebuild a city. Every player tries to improve his own position but nobody wins if they don't complete the city in time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that God's Playground fits your description. Certainly it is a competitive game but players must work together somewhat in order to defend Poland. I like it quite a bit. It could never be described as a co-op game, but it requires players to work together enough that the dynamic is quite good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hobbit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stock holding games, for sure. 2+ players hold stock in one company. Unless it's some 18xx games, the players want it to thrive but not to the point where your opponents benefit too much.

Similarly, games like Brass/Age of Industry use rail networks so that all players need to use each other's, but again you don't want to help your opponents too much. They also use coal/iron and port markets similarly.

Wealth of Nations/Container/Indonesia, all have markets defined by player action and all require or strongly encourage players to buy/sell from each other or they probably won't survive.

But then again, these games may not be what you're looking for. Still, this is one major reason I am drawn to these economic games. A particularly savvy player can stay out of the limelight and piggyback off another player's actions (eg in Wealth of Nations, a player may sell surplus produce back to the market, dropping the price, which you then go to buy at this lower price). The enemy of my enemy is my friend. But he's also my enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
God's Playground

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooperation and competition are pretty hand in hand in Alcatraz: The Scapegoat. ...Knives in both hands also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas DeSantis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I checked out all the games you guys suggested, and I think Cutthroat Caverns is the type of game I was looking for. Alcatraz also looks like a good game, but it's not easily available. So thanks for all the suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The upcoming VivaJava: The Coffee Game came to mind immediately when I read your post. Personally, I'm very intrigued by this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony W
United States
Long Beach, CA
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Saboteur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas DeSantis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iGotGame wrote:
Saboteur

Got that game. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas DeSantis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cyakobch wrote:
The upcoming VivaJava: The Coffee Game came to mind immediately when I read your post. Personally, I've very intrigued by this one.

I looked at the description and it sounds like the kind of game I'm looking for. I'll keep an eye on it when it comes out. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Rex or A Game of Thrones the board game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.