Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am unashamedly a huge fan; so, my poll is asking about GMT and Mark Miklos doing a sendup of Yorktown using their BoAR series.

I don't think anyone has done a game about this of late; the only one I can recall is York Town.

So, give me your opinion...

Poll
Would you like GMT and Mark Miklos to do a version of the siege of Yorktown for the BoAR series?
Yes, I would DEFINITELY pre-order this
Yes, if it is made I'd purchase this once it's released
No, I would not care for this battle to be included in the series
No, I'd like the game to be designed, but not in this series
I don't play games from GMT's BoAR series
      69 answers
Poll created by essayons7

I hope Mark and GMT see this, and I hope people want it. I know I DO!

Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Siege's don't excite me. That's why I never ordered Pensacola and that's why I traded away Savannah.

I prefer other ones in the series: especially if they are solitaire-capable if you remove the tactics chits (which I do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
Siege's don't excite me. That's why I never ordered Pensacola and that's why I traded away Savannah.

I prefer other ones in the series: especially if they are solitaire-capable if you remove the tactics chits (which I do).

That was my experience with Savannah, although I still have hopes for Pensacola. It seems they picked a more interesting battle. I'd get Yorktown simply because it was the siege that decided the war, arguably the birthplace of our nation. Also I could send Alexander Hamilton into battle and command the French army too.

That being said, the series is running out of large battles to simulate. They could still do Long Island, and others could be included as 2-4 games in a box. Mostly I'm hoping to see Camden get some coverage (and offer the possibility of avoiding Gates's folly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pensacola is the only game in the series I don't have. I may have to correct that situation...we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:

That being said, the series is running out of large battles to simulate. They could still do Long Island, and others could be included as 2-4 games in a box. Mostly I'm hoping to see Camden get some coverage (and offer the possibility of avoiding Gates's folly).

Would it be able to do French and Indian War?

When you said folly it just made me think of Braddock's Defeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
LgRangeContactPatrol wrote:
gittes wrote:

Actually I think they should shift to smaller Napoleonic and Civil War battles. I'd gobble up a GMT style game on Wilson's Creek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LgRangeContactPatrol wrote:
gittes wrote:

How about Quebec?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have one of the Revolution games, but I think its design would best be used for the smaller scale battles before Napoleon. For Napoleonics, I would rather see the Great Battles of the Napoleonic Wars get picked up again. The reason is that it could best cover smaller actions for those who don't have time for a full scale Austerlitz. Jena Auerstadt, for instance, is a collection of small battles and would suit it very well. Plus, Prussians have more swag and need to get the treatment at least once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the same way that I'd love to see a Yorktown game, I was thinking that the best extension of some of the mechanisms in Savannah and Pensacola beyond the AWI would be to do a game on the battle of New Orleans. Give Pakenham some room to maneuver or variable entry for Laffitte? Sign me up.

Similarly, I'd love to see Yorktown include a "Gloucester breakout" scenario, to game how well the British could have gotten away if they'd been able to cross the river that night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
airjudden wrote:

That was my experience with Savannah, although I still have hopes for Pensacola. It seems they picked a more interesting battle. I'd get Yorktown simply because it was the siege that decided the war, arguably the birthplace of our nation. Also I could send Alexander Hamilton into battle and command the French army too.

I would like to see Cowpens and King's Mountain, but I don't think their riflemen rules would work for Cowpens, since they can only fire at adjacent units.

New York battles don't excite me because they are so one-sided, unless they threw in a boxful of them (Harlem Heights, Long Island, etc...but when I thought about it, that's what Hold the Line is for).

I, too, think they have milked the golden cow dry for the system, but oh what a system it is for Bradywine, Saratoga, Monmouth, Germantown, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
essayons7 wrote:
Pensacola is the only game in the series I don't have. I may have to correct that situation...we'll see.

Not buying Yorktown would manage that. :D

I can't say for certain that I wouldn't.
There's something I like about the series,
but I'm just not sure I could see it as exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep I would get anything in the BoAR series including a siege game on Yorktown and even the battle of Bunker Hill if they offered it as an introductory sampling of the system in a C3i.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomW731 wrote:
Yep I would get anything in the BoAR series including a siege game on Yorktown and even the battle of Bunker Hill if they offered it as an introductory sampling of the system in a C3i.

Bunker Hill would be a great C3i game, kind of like Cheriton for Ben Hull's series, or Agincourt for Men of Iron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the completist in me would love to see it even if it wasn't that great of a game, but then who knows. I think it would be perfect for a C3i. Perhaps the next issue could focus on the BoRW series and Wilderness War which I dont think C3i has ever done an article about. Perhaps throw in a little Washington's War content as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
I think I would much rather see a collection of battles during the Southern Campaign with, maybe, a set of campaign rules to tie them all together than another seige game. Correct me if I'm wrong but once the French Navy turned back the British fleet trying to resupply Cornwallis at Yorktown, the gig was up, right? No, I think I'd rather see a boxed set of smaller battles than Yorktown.

You are right Pete, which is why having a naval aspect to the game would be needed. There is also one of the great what-ifs of the war: Henry Clinton's planned relief expedition.

A set on the Southern battles is probably the best way to go, although the New York Campaign is begging for coverage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd prefer a game on the attack on Quebec to a Yorktown game.

Most of the battles of the SYW/NA scale too small for this system, with the exception of Wolfe and Montcalm on the Plains of Abraham.

Long Island and New York would scale well but would be difficult to balance apart from some artificial points-based victory conditions system. The troop/leadership quality disparity was simply too pronounced at that time.

Trenton and Princeton in one box would be good.

But I think Yorktown would just be dull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
I'd prefer a game on the attack on Quebec to a Yorktown game.

Most of the battles of the SYW/NA scale too small for this system, with the exception of Wolfe and Montcalm on the Plains of Abraham.

Long Island and New York would scale well but would be difficult to balance apart from some artificial points-based victory conditions system. The troop/leadership quality disparity was simply too pronounced at that time.

Trenton and Princeton in one box would be good.

But I think Yorktown would just be dull.

Yorktown on its own could be interesting, but the real way to make it a deal is through what-if situations, much the way it was done in The Game of France, 1940: German Blitzkrieg in the West and Destruction of Army Group Center (second edition).

The only other French and Indian War battle that could scale well would be Fort Carllion, but that might be hard to make interesting. That being said, Trenton and Princeton were both small battles, about as large as those you say can't be scaled. More importantly, both are rather lopsided. The bloodiest battle of that campaign, Assunpink Creek, would match the scale perfectly though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.