Subject: Arlington in Flames 18: Rainy Weather and Middle East Action rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the September/October 1943 turn for a World in Flames game being played in Arlington, Virginia. I am the Soviets and French, and Chris (CW), Scott (US/China - now Japan) and Ben (US/China) are the rest of the good guys. Kevin (Germany), Fritz (Japan) (Fritz has been relocated by his employer, alas...), and Peter (Italy) are the bad guys.

Optional rules of note include: Planes in Flames; offensive points (o-points); divisions but NOT guns nor ski divs; 2d10 combat & first loss is corps (with a few exceptions); randomized naval combat losses; partisans (with a "strat bomb" house rule); warlords; guards banner armies; city-based volunteers; Pablo's Simple Oil Rule; road & rail construction; LOC Vichy

Previous turns summary below the ==============

SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 1943: CONFLICT IN MIDDLE EAST; US OCCUPIES URUGUAY

Storms and rain lashed Europe for most of September and October. The Soviets tried an attack near Kharkov during the rains but made no progress*. In October when the skies cleared, Koniev organized a major attack north of Kursk, but poor coordination** resulted in heavy Soviet losses, though the Germans also saw a corps knocked out of the line. All accompanied by major air-to-air combat that generally went the Luftwaffe's way.

Balbo's Excellent Adventure in the Middle East continued. He and his army group of four corps drove thru the Syrian desert into friendly Iraq; this show of force caused the Shah of Iran to throw in on the Axis side. The Soviets were not amused. An army under Timoshenko took Meshed in eastern Persia to remove any threat to Soviet Central Asia, and troops crossed from Azerbaijan into northern Persia.

In Balbo's rear area, American and British corps came from Egypt and Palestine, cutting off a German corps in southern Syria, and capturing Damascus and Aleppo. Japan bowed out of the Middle East; a marine corps that had been sitting in Kuwait disappeared. The troops hijacked a bunch of dhows and headed home.***

On the South American Front, the United States and Brazil declared war on Uruguay, seeking to turn the Argentinean flank.

Build point cost of destroyed units: USSR 23, Germany 3, Italy 2, US 2
* Rolled a 4 on 2d10
** Rolled a 3
*** Disbanded to rebuild back home

=============

SEP/OCT '39: Germany crushes Poland. Germany attacks Denmark, British occupy its northern island. Soviets occupy E Poland, Baltics. Japan takes Chengsha. US authorizes resources to China.

NOV/DEC '39: Japan makes more progress in southern China. Stalemate in Denmark. Snowy in Europe.

JAN/FEB '40: Italy enters war, captures Malta, sinks bunch of convoys.

MAR/APR '40: Axis attacks Yugoslavia; Rumania and Hungary join in. Yugoslavia conquers Albania. Germany conquers Netherlands. CW naval air turns back invasion force in Western Med. Japanese capture Kwei-Yang, and take Kunming unopposed.

MAY/JUNE '40: Belgium falls. Surprise invasion of Gibraltar fails. Zagreb falls to Axis, Belgrade surrounded. Japan assaults Sian but fails to take it. Pro-independence partisans in Malaysia. US freezes Japanese assets.

JUL/AUG '40: Germany cuts off French armies in Maginot, enters Paris after French government declares it an open city. Yugoslavia falls. Japan captures Si-An.

SEP/OCT '40: France falls, Level 2 Vichy. Free France established in French West Africa.

NOV/DEC '40: Japan occupies Indochina, captures Chang-Sha. US gears up. Germans move to Denmark, Poland.

JAN/FEB '41: United States imposes oil embargo on Japan. German attack on British in northern Denmark goes nowhere.

MAR/APR '41: US Congress passes War Appropriations Act. RAF sinks German u-boats in port, and RN sinks German u-boats in North Atlantic.

MAY/JUNE '41: Japan attacks Commonwealth and Netherlands East Indies. US Navy relocates to Pearl Harbor. Germany and allies invade Soviet Union, capture Kiev, Odessa, Brest-Litovsk, approach Dnieper River.

JULY/AUG '41: Japan declares war on the USA (based on accurate intelligence that the US was about to declare war on them) AND on the Soviet Union; invades Philippines, Siberia. Germans cross the Dnepr to the south of Dnepropetrovsk, capture Vitebsk and Gomel. Commonwealth capture Tobruk and Bardia.

SEP/OCT '41: Japanese take Vladivostok. Germans fail to capture Dnepropetrovsk, but advance on Leningrad and Smolensk. Commonwealth capture Benghazi.

NOV/DEC '41: US fails two attempts to declare war on Germany. Japan takes Singapore from partisans, but new partisans occupy oilfields of Palembang.

JAN/FEB '42: Germans take Kerch. Terrible weather and little action.

MAR/APR '42: USA declares war on Germany and Italy. Germans take Dnepropetrovsk.

MAY/JUNE '42: Germans take Leningrad and Smolensk; Japanese take Khabarovsk. Chinese in Chungking defeat a Japanese offensive. US marines take Majuro in the Marshall Islands.

JUL/AUG '42: Germans and Finns capture Archangel. British/Americans land in Brittany, take Lorient and Brest. Chungking holds against Japanese assault.

SEP/OCT '42: Mud in Russia - Kharkov holds against Germans, Italians. Allies, Axis reinforce French front. Japanese crush Vietnamese independence movement in Hanoi. Canadian subs disrupt Japanese shipping in South China Sea.

NOV/DEC '42: Germans take Stalino. US and friends invade Colombia. Attack fails vs Chungking.

JAN/FEB '43: Argentina joins Axis, takes Bolivia. Naval skirmishing in the Med, North Atlantic.

MAR/APR '43: Allies invade Vichy France (south coast). Japan takes Seychelles, US captures Eniwotok. Storms in Russia, little action. Chungking again holds out against a Japanese attack.

MAY/JUNE '43: Japanese invasion of Egypt fails utterly, and one carrier sunk/two damaged in the Red Sea. US/CW land near Bordeaux. Italy installs Fascist regime in Iraq. Germans capture Sevastapol.

JUL/AUG '43: Chungking falls. Massive bombing of Germany. Soviets take Kerch, repulsed at Stalino. W. Allies take St Malo, St Nazaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm....I sense this...is..close to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Typically the Americans are spending so much energy getting resources and lend lease to the USSR that they don't have time to dispute with 3rd world dictators...the Soviets must not be in as much danger in this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philreh wrote:
Typically the Americans are spending so much energy getting resources and lend lease to the USSR that they don't have time to dispute with 3rd world dictators...the Soviets must not be in as much danger in this one.

Well it took one unit to walk into Uruguay... But the whole S. America situation is a goat-rope caused by the W. Allies seeing resources for the taking in Colombia but failing to realize that this would allow Argentina to be aligned to Germany...

The Soviets have done pretty well. I lost Leningrad in '41 and Sevastapol, Kursk, Stalino in '42, but have always held Moscow, Kharkov, Rostov. I'm down Vlad and the four far east resources though to the Japanese. Very little lend-lease, the bloody Finns took Murmansk and for a while the Germans had the rail line from Archangel ZOC'ed (but this last turn the Americans delivered 5 BP thru there).

It's Nov/Dec '43 now, I just retook Kursk (next session report) and I do believe the Germans' next impulse will be a retreat to shorter lines closer to Kiev/Dnepr/Smolensk. The W. Allies multiple fronts (three in France one in Denmark) have tied down a lot of German troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madDdog67 wrote:

The Allies are doing well in Europe, and terrible in the Pacific and China!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he meant the fact that his locale is "Arlington, VA"...which is exactly where the game is being played :-).

-K

wifwendell wrote:
madDdog67 wrote:

The Allies are doing well in Europe, and terrible in the Pacific and China!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the German player in this game, I have to say that the Argentinian gambit has payed off wonderfully! It was a mistake on the Allies part in not knowing the rules and I was happy to "remind" them of them by aligning Argentina and getting the factory + resource...but since I never like leaving things half-empty, I had Germany declare war on Bolivia (no at start unit) and conquer it with the Argentinian CAV. With no ZOC's on the US mini-map and the ability to ship resources through neutral minors (Chili, in this case), it gave Germany 2 extra PP's (x1.5 = 3 BP's) per turn! I figured it'd last for a few turns...never thought I'd get a full year or more out of it :-). Great fun!

But as Wendell said, it really all started due to the silly US "gambit" of declaring war on Columbia and other S. American minors to grab extra "free" resources.

In Russia, we've been staring at each other since about the winter of '42 when I made the strategic decision that I simply did not have the warm bodies to progress much further into Russia [note: we're playing a variant of the "Stalin's War" House rule that gives Russia an extra 0.25 PM from the GE/IT DOW on, but no city mods]. Wendell gained localized air superiority around J/A '43 (this year) and really made the Luftwaffe pay (between M/J and J/A '43 I had something like 10 German planes and a few Italian ones shot down to maybe 2-3 Allied planes). But as all things in WiF, the luck has turned and the Luftwaffe has been downing Soviet planes left and right in S/O and (so far) in N/D. I'm sure it will swing back against me at some point, as that's what always happens .

The only thing that has saved me from having to do a full fledged retreat is that Wendell's attack dice have been...well...typical for Wendell :-). There's a reason "to Wendell" is a known term to can a die roll in our group *g*. Three consecutive attacks and rolls (in order) of 5, 4 and 3 on 2d10(!). Will his next attack be a '2' so he can keep the trend going?!?!?! Stay tuned and find out! :-)

-K

wifwendell wrote:
philreh wrote:

Well it took one unit to walk into Uruguay... But the whole S. America situation is a goat-rope caused by the W. Allies seeing resources for the taking in Colombia but failing to realize that this would allow Argentina to be aligned to Germany...

The Soviets have done pretty well. I lost Leningrad in '41 and Sevastapol, Kursk, Stalino in '42, but have always held Moscow, Kharkov, Rostov. I'm down Vlad and the four far east resources though to the Japanese. Very little lend-lease, the bloody Finns took Murmansk and for a while the Germans had the rail line from Archangel ZOC'ed (but this last turn the Americans delivered 5 BP thru there).

It's Nov/Dec '43 now, I just retook Kursk (next session report) and I do believe the Germans' next impulse will be a retreat to shorter lines closer to Kiev/Dnepr/Smolensk. The W. Allies multiple fronts (three in France one in Denmark) have tied down a lot of German troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kbernatz wrote:
I think he meant the fact that his locale is "Arlington, VA"...which is exactly where the game is being played :-).

-K

Hah you're right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nov/Dec '43: Arlington in Flames 19: Soviets Picking Up Steam; Allies Advance in France

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.