Popular Tags: [View All]
Harris Megas
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of having separate decks for each corner location, I thought of shuffling all of the cards together and then dealing them in four face-down piles randomly. As a result, one location may appear on top of more than one pile.

When encountering a location that appears on one or more piles, the player normally draws that card (if appearing more than once, the player may draw from either pile). However, when encountering a location not showing on any pile, its encounter action becomes the usual "Roll a D6. On 1 or 2, draw a Mystery card. On 3+, draw an Event".

For example, the top cards of the piles are: Manor - Windmill - Manor - Olde Woods. Player A visits the Windmill and draws the card from the second pile, revealing a "Manor" card underneath. Now, the piles show: Manor - Manor - Manor - Olde Woods. Player B, on his turn, visits the Abandoned Keep, but since there is no card from that location, he must roll a D6 and draw a Mystery or an Event, depending on the result.

Moreover, if one pile is depleted, there is no reshuffling. It's like that particular trail of clues has gone cold.

I've played the game once like this so far, and there is a nice feel of following leads across town. Some cards may need tweaking though, but I don't think there will be much of a problem. For example, when a card says to discard the top card of every corner location, simply discard the top card of every pile, no matter what location it actually corresponds to.
I guess this could be adapted when playing with the expansions by creating as many piles as there are locations.
What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Where were you hiding when the storm broke?
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting take What if more than one of the piles has Manor on top, and a player visits the Manor? Does he get to choose the pile he draws from?

In one 2-player coop game I played, we both stayed at the Manor and Windmill; we never ventured to the Woods or Keep. (Time constraints and frequent KO's). But we won that game quite handily, with my buddy rolling over a dozen dice on one particular showdown round. Your idea should encourage more varied exploration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it works for you, I say go with it, but it sounds like a needless overcomplication to me. IMO, the carrying limit of one card from any given location already provides enough incentive to keep the players moving around the board as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harris Megas
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@WizardHowl: exactly, if a player visits a place that appears more than once (like the Manor in the example), he may choose the pile to draw from.

@themanfromsaturn: I see your point. In (most of) my games, however, the card limit has never been much of a problem/incentive for the players. So, implementing the above did encourage exploration.
It depends on the gaming group, I guess!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.