Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John blog
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in the 5 /6 playr game, when 2 monsters in tokyo (and tokyo bay) are attacked, which should make the decision first (to decide if they yield)?

I understand both can yield - the reason I ask if there might be circumstances when the decision made by one player affect the others's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thisaliensean wrote:
in the 5 /6 playr game, when 2 monsters in tokyo (and tokyo bay) are attacked, which should make the decision first (to decide if they yield)?

I understand both can yield - the reason I ask if there might be circumstances when the decision made by one player affect the others's.

I usually deal it as a LIFO line (Last In, First Out) but I will ask confirmation to Master Richard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thisaliensean wrote:

Generally, I play it where I go clockwise around the board from the person who attacked. I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it. I would imagine that consistency is the most important thing when playing rules like this, doing it the same way every time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Tokyo is the main area, we always play Tokyo chooses and yields first. If Tokyo Bay does not also yield, he slides over to the vacated Tokyo slot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Flageol
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
What I have been doing is both players in Tokyo and Tokyo Bay can yield at the same time when they get attacked. The player who attacked then enter tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thisaliensean wrote:

Can you offer up an example of a situation where one players choice to yield might affect the other? I can't say that I've ever played a game of KoT where this has come into question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
riastradh wrote:
thisaliensean wrote:

Can you offer up an example of a situation where one players choice to yield might affect the other? I can't say that I've ever played a game of KoT where this has come into question.
If there is only one player between you and the current player, and that player also happens to be in Tokyo with you. Should they leave they can then attack you on their turn, which could be enough to kill you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avron wrote:
riastradh wrote:

If there is only one player between you and the current player, and that player also happens to be in Tokyo with you. Should they leave they can then attack you on their turn, which could be enough to kill you.

Point.

To answer the OP, I don't think there is an offical FAQ answer to this, so just house-rule it. I'd insist that it get resolved in turn order among the two monsters in Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
riastradh wrote:
To answer the OP, I don't think there is an offical FAQ answer to this, so just house-rule it. I'd insist that it get resolved in turn order among the two monsters in Tokyo.
In the games I've played we tend to resolve by having the monster in Tokyo proper decide and then the monster in Tokyo Bay. With the monster in Tokyo Bay moving to Tokyo proper if appropriate before the new monster moves in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously not an "official" answer but just the way I think about it:

The monsters being more interested in smashing and dominating Tokyo City than Tokyo Bay, I assume that most of an attacking monster's efforts would go toward taking the city (the monster in Tokyo Bay is just in the way). As such, we play that the monster in Tokyo City decide first. In our case, if the city is yielded but not the bay, the monster who just attacked enters Tokyo City while the monster in Tokyo Bay stays where he is.

I say that Tokyo City is the primary target because a) once the number of players drops below 5, Tokyo Bay is ignored and b) in Godzilla movies, the bay is almost always just a short-lived and unfortunate casualty as the monster(s) stomp their way toward downtown Tokyo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither the English nor the French rules appear to answer this question. If it might make a difference strategically, I suggest that a simultaneous decision would be the most appropriate (e.g. by revealing a die or token at the same time). Any other method of assigning priority (Tokyo vs Tokyo Bay, turn order) is arbitrary in the absence of a rule.

To my mind, the rules seem to specifically prohibit 'slideover'. First, "Monsters in Tokyo City or in Tokyo Bay are considered 'in Tokyo'" and "Tokyo Bay acts like Tokyo City". "If a Monster is eliminated and that brings the number of Monsters below 5, Tokyo Bay can't be occupied anymore. The Monster in it must leave Tokyo." The monster can no longer be in Tokyo, i.e. Tokyo City or Tokyo Bay. This presumably includes the case in which Tokyo City is empty. In other words, if you are forced to leave Tokyo Bay, you must leave Tokyo (City/Bay) entirely rather than 'move up' to Tokyo City. From this we may conclude that once you're in, you stay where you are, and if you're in Tokyo Bay if/when it disappears then you're out.

I assume it's been noted before, but the 5-player example in the English rules has an error in it (the sentence in which the error occurs is not found in the French rules);

Quote:
"If Mekadragon had abandoned Tokyo City Mekadragon Gigazaur would have taken that control instead and left Tokyo Bay unclaimed."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.