Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take 1 - Objective 1B:

This was one of those over-in-less-than-15-minutes game.
After 45 minutes of set-up, the 3 investigators started the game and decided to split up. Two headed off in the direction of the clues (to the dining room), while a third decided to explore. While I (the keeper) tried to stall him by using uncontrollable urges, the explorer managed to get to the freezer before the warning hits. Bam, Ithaqua is released and the universe is destroyed.

Everyone was kind pissed. So we decided to scrap the board and I re-set the board for a different objective (1C).

Take 2 - Objective 1C:

This went a lot better. The game marched along, the investigators worked their way through the north of the house (the dining room & library section), while I slowly chipped away at their sanity and health. When the first event was revealed, everyone shook their head at the warning not to go near the freezer, and stayed the hell away from it. By this point I've gotten two of the Paranoia Mythos cards (the one that doesn't do anything and the one that's an insta-kill) and played them on two of the players. Then they start floating the idea of going near the freezer - it was perfect, mistrust was starting to spread.
The game wore on, and I managed to stall for time with some strategically placed darkness and formed a sort of bottleneck on the south hallways. For 3-4 turns the players simply could not pass through it. It was great. All the while one of players was going crazier by the second. Poor guy. Finally, someone managed to get past the chokehold on the hallway - and I played the traitor card on him. Then it was just a matter of time. I got one guy down to one health, and another to zero sanity. Now it was just all down to getting them one space away from each other so I could use a mythos card on him to make him take horror and play the "Friend?" trauma card to attack the dying player.
This was made much more difficult by the fact that I had earlier given the insane investigator the trauma card that gives them horror every time they're in the same room with other investigators (to drop him down to 0).
Finally, Event 4 was played, and the objective was revealed. The investigators had the key to the last clue, and were making their way to the nursery to solve the puzzle. The traitor cut them off and in an epic finish hurled the lantern card at the dying investigator, causing three damage and killing him. We won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The first time playing Green-Eyed Boy 1B is very much a love-it-or-hate-it deal. It's virtually guaranteed that the investigators will stumble into the Freezer around Turn 3, when the warning doesn't show up until the end of Turn 4. Some groups find it amusing (and quite in flavor) and don't really mind because hey, it didn't waste much time and the board's practically already set up for a second game. Other groups... will not be amused. It depends entirely on the group's atmosphere, and can be difficult to predict; my group very much cares about gameplay first and foremost and spend a lot of time actively trying to break the game, so you might think we'd just be annoyed, but we thought it was downright hilarious. Considering Green-Eyed Boy has severe balance problems (that become apparent very quickly when replayed - it's borderline impossible for the investigators to win) and goes on for a long time, I personally think anything that cuts it short and provides a great one-time experience is a positive quality.

A technical note: unfortunately, investigators aren't actually allowed to toss the Lantern at each other. They can attack each other with the combat deck, but attack-like actions - such as Typewriter, the ranged effect of Knife, and indeed a tossed Lantern - can't be used. This is a very fiddly and IMO completely unnecessary rule and you can play just fine without it, but I thought it was worth mentioning the official ruling anyhow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1B is a problem. There's nothing whatsoever to deter you from the Freezer.

I've changed the event cards so that the first one is resolved in only 3 turns, and the second is accordingly resolved 6 turns later (instead of 5). This way, the investigators typically get their warning in time. That said, whether they choose to follow it is really up to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
kungfro wrote:
I've changed the event cards so that the first one is resolved in only 3 turns,

The Freezer is only five spaces from the Start; 3 turns is too slow. If you want to really be safe against effects like Magnifying Glass, make it trigger at the end of Turn 1 and increase the Events 2, 3, and 4 to have 6-turn clocks each.

Or, better yet, put it in the Prologue and write better Events.

Also fix the seeding so that the Clue chain isn't too long for the Event deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
A technical note: unfortunately, investigators aren't actually allowed to toss the Lantern at each other. They can attack each other with the combat deck, but attack-like actions - such as Typewriter, the ranged effect of Knife, and indeed a tossed Lantern - can't be used. This is a very fiddly and IMO completely unnecessary rule and you can play just fine without it, but I thought it was worth mentioning the official ruling anyhow.

This is true, but my philosophy is that player enjoyment trumps the rules. I later discovered we did several other things "wrong" - but it didn't hamper the gameplay, and the hurling of the lamp fits thematically and makes for an epic ending, so... whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All right, I'll have to change the first event to 2 turns.
salty53 wrote:
Or, better yet, put it in the Prologue and write better Events.

I'm not prepared to totally uproot and renovate a scenario. Someone else already has that covered anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.