Subject: First play through rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Durand
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so last night we broke out Zombicide for the first time, and played through the tutorial scenario.

The first time we played it, we were just trying to get a sense of the rules, and disregarded the number of survivors controlled per player. Each of the three of us took one survivor, rather than two as the rules specified. (The rules are designed so that you'll run each scenario with four to six survivor characters.)

It started out well, with Doug taking out a zombie right outside the first building.

After that, things went bad in a hurry. When we got to the second building, which contained the objective, we populated it with zombies. Four of the zombies spawned with the manhole cover card, which meant the appeared directly on the street zone on which Doug was standing. He did not last long, as zombies in a zone with a survivor automatically wound the character.

Amy moved in to help, and managed to do kill some zeds, but not enough to make a difference in the end.

The second time we played, each of us controlled two survivors. Obviously, getting twice as many actions per turn makes a huge difference. We were able to clear the zombies from our path, set up a blocking force between the objective and the spawning point, and clear the objective building rather easily.

After the first two plays, there are a couple of points in the rules that are unclear to me:

The process for spawning zombies inside buildings that you enter seems pretty straightforward. But, if you draw a spawn card with a manhole cover on it, do the zombies spawn inside the building or do you use the manhole spawning rules? We played it that they spawned on manholes, even though that meant less zombies inside the building.

One of the actions a survivor can take is to exchange "any number" of equipment cards with another survivor in the same zone. We took this to mean that he could give equipment and receive nothing in return, i.e. exchanging some cards for zero cards. But I can see how you can read the rules to mean that something must actually be "exchanged" between the survivors, i.e. they each have to give something up.

One thing I noticed is that some of the tiles are showing signs of warping already. It's minor so far, but something to keep an eye on.

Lastly, we used Pandora to play background music while we played. I had the "station" set to 80's songs, and these are some of the songs Pandora chose.

I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight
Hotel California
Shot Through the Heart (You Give Love A Bad Name)
Wanted Dead or Alive
Another One Bites the Dust
Staying Alive (which is not even an 80's song!)

It's almost like it knew what we were doing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Cochran
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
After the first two plays, there are a couple of points in the rules that are unclear to me:

The process for spawning zombies inside buildings that you enter seems pretty straightforward. But, if you draw a spawn card with a manhole cover on it, do the zombies spawn inside the building or do you use the manhole spawning rules? We played it that they spawned on manholes, even though that meant less zombies inside the building.

This makes sense to me. The only other options would be to just do nothing or draw a new card.

Of course man-hole cards only affect zones with survivors in them: "place the indicated number and type of Zombies in every Zone where a manhole is indicated on the map, on every tile where at least a Survivor stands. Manhole invasions never happen on tiles devoid of Survivors."

Quote:
One of the actions a survivor can take is to exchange "any number" of equipment cards with another survivor in the same zone. We took this to mean that he could give equipment and receive nothing in return, i.e. exchanging some cards for zero cards. But I can see how you can read the rules to mean that something must actually be "exchanged" between the survivors, i.e. they each have to give something up.

I agree with the first interpretation. The second would be very restrictive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Cedar
msg tools
I am having major issues with the manhole spawn card. First of all it says place the zombies in every ZONE where a manhole is indicated, and then it goes on to say that a survivor also has to be on the TILE. So there are two conditions for spawning the zombies.

Actually, I think I cleared this up for myself by typing it out. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Stangier
Germany
Offenbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you keep on reading you will find the last sentence of manhole cards rules, which says:
Quote:
Manhole invasions never happen on tiles devoid of Survivors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="SethCochran"]
Quote:

Of course man-hole cards only affect zones with survivors in them: "place the indicated number and type of Zombies in every Zone where a manhole is indicated on the map, on every tile where at least a Survivor stands. Manhole invasions never happen on tiles devoid of Survivors."

Man-hole cards effect each Zone with a man-hole cover, but only the zones which correspond with the tile(s) the survivors are on.

Sometimes the zombies will join the survivors in the same zone, sometimes only other zones associated with the tile(s) the survivors are on.

The wording in the rules is not as clear as it could be, but the illustrations (page 11) make more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, when you first open a building and spawn the zombies inside, you may get cards that do not place any zombie in the indicated zone (manhole cards and extra activation cards). Just do what the card says and move on to the next zone to spawn.

And sure, when exchanging cards, you can choose not give any or not to take any in return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Cedar
msg tools
I played it today. So far I am very disappointed. I would not recommend it, actually. The noise mechanic did not make a difference once, and it was SUPER easy to win. We played the 2nd scenario where you have to go from point A to point B to win. We won in 3-4 rounds with 1 wound on one character only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keller
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dontblameme wrote:
I played it today. So far I am very disappointed. I would not recommend it, actually. The noise mechanic did not make a difference once, and it was SUPER easy to win. We played the 2nd scenario where you have to go from point A to point B to win. We won in 3-4 rounds with 1 wound on one character only.

Did you try any of the other scenarios? You may want to try another one or two before you declare the game too easy. My gaming group played the tutorial and two of the scenarios and had a blast. We lost in Drive-by Shooting but got the win in 24-Hrs in Zombicity. The last game was close but we pulled it out in the end. The game isn't easy but we all found it fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
The two tiles I played with for the intro scenario had warped within 30 minutes of sitting on the table after I had unstacked them. I am going to try to press them flat with my Complete Calvin and Hobbes collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Cedar
msg tools
MajMalfunction10 wrote:
The two tiles I played with for the intro scenario had warped within 30 minutes of sitting on the table after I had unstacked them. I am going to try to press them flat with my Complete Calvin and Hobbes collection.

This happened to me too. It is happening to everyone it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dontblameme wrote:
MajMalfunction10 wrote:

No offense, but it takes away a bit seeing you just registered on BGG today. And out of the gate, you criticize a new game. What's up with that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roben Johnson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Also just finished a game of Zombicide - so far pretty easy/fun game that we enjoyed. Unfortunately, the tiles are warping pretty bad as you could watch them slowly moving through the course of the very first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Give the tiles time to settle. My tiles warped a bit at first, but they eventually kept straight.

Don Cedar, don't dismiss the game after a single playthrough. Some scenarios ARE very easy, while others are very, very challenging. There's a little bit for everyone. And the noise mechanic only really affects the game in a meaningful way if you decide to take advantage of it. Manipulating the zombies through sound is one of the more original aspects of this game, but it's something that YOU must think about, the game isn't going to spoonfeed it to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:
Dontblameme wrote:
MajMalfunction10 wrote:

No offense, but it takes away a bit seeing you just registered on BGG today. And out of the gate, you criticize a new game. What's up with that?

A new user can't have a problem with his game? What is the statute of limitations for someone to be able to come to BGG to make to talk about a problem with his new $100 purchase? I don't see how not posting on a forum before makes his concerns any less legitimate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
Warping Update:

Calvin and Hobbes did the trick and my tiles were once again flat this morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajMalfunction10 wrote:
Warping Update:

Calvin and Hobbes did the trick and my tiles were once again flat this morning.
Calvin & Hobbes...is there anything they can't do?

My game was supposed to come today, but looks like it will be tomorrow. Drat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
MajMalfunction10 wrote:
A new user can't have a problem with his game? What is the statute of limitations for someone to be able to come to BGG to make to talk about a problem with his new $100 purchase? I don't see how not posting on a forum before makes his concerns any less legitimate.

It's a good point. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive to new games and designers. I like to see them get a good first shot - that's all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony L
msg tools
Dontblameme wrote:

Scenario 2 is ridiculously easy. I would suggest adding mandatory objectives to at least one of the big buildings (the one you spawn next to has ELEVEN rooms to spawn zombies in...but there's zero reason to ever go in there), or for a real challenge, mandatory 5xp objectives in all buildings, and the original objective is still a med kit.

Try some of the other objectives. Scenario 1 seems to be almost brutally unbeatable, whereas most of the others seem a bit more balanced, with scenario 2 being entirely too easy. We beat it tonight, and all of us were confused as to why it was so easy. I think they just forgot a mandatory objective somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.