Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loves cards in games. She plays a whole game of Tichu on her phone every night before bed. She loves Princes of Florence, Notre Dame, Taj Mahol, and Twilight Struggle. She doesn't care for Dominion at all. Jambo, Pandemic, and Fairy Tale are ok, but not requested. And mysteriously the last time we played Castle Ravenloft she mentioned we should play it more often.

I think I am going to pick up 7 Wonders. I would like reccommendations for games she might like, especially if they are good with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would very much not recommend 7 Wonders with two. In our experience, it does not play very well with only two.

My wife and I both really like board games with a very strong card component. Here are some of our favorites. I hope a couple of them fit what you are looking for:

London: This euro game does have a board, but the vast majority of the game is all about the cards. The board gives the game an area control aspect, but the real heart of the game is hand management and building a tableau cards.

Traders of Osaka: This is very clever game with a small footprint and big game play. It is about trading in the Mediterranean. There is a board to keep track of ships, but the rest of the game is all about the cards. In this game the cards are used for the money, for goods, for victory points, and even for a special action. The game plays quick (half an hour or less) and offers a lot of euro game depth.

Havana: This game is not quite a board game, but it is more than a card game as well because of how many different components it has. This is a role selection game where players are building up Havana. The role selection allows for some clever interaction and a lot of trying to figure out what the opponent is going to do.

Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix: This is a racing game with an auction component. The game uses cards to control all of the car movement. The game is better with more players but there is a variant or two that works really well with two players.

Trenchzone: If you are interested in a war game then this is one that my wife really likes. The goal of the game is to go over the top and take a section of the opponent's trench. The game is very easy and accessible. The game has a lot of dice rolling and everything is controlled by cards that players are using every turn.

Manoeuvre: This is another war game that my wife and I both really like. It is a little abstract. Both players only have 8 counters each, and cards are used to control everything in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 vote for London
Also Rivals for Catan may be worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second Manoeuvre, but I have to say my wife loves 7 Wonders with two. So before you blow it off, I'd definitely say try it out if you can. YMMV, but my wife likes that we could play two player and also with up to 7 if we have company.

Also, the game is designed for 3 or more players, but we played it wih the 2 player variant before ever playing 3 or more player, and we loved it then and still love it now.

Other games that are pretty big hits here :

Scavengers has a board with food that you're fighting over using the cards with great animals and such on them. This game has some of the best card play out there imo, and I play a lot of card games.

The Battle for Hill 218 (very much a card game, but the cards are like tiles laid out on a tableau) This game is just phenomenal. Quick, easy to play, and a lot of fun. Not to mention very affordable!

Good luck!

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel Jacques
United States
Casselberry
Florida
flag msg tools
It's ok - I always roll this bad.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:

The Battle for Hill 218 (very much a card game, but the cards are like tiles laid out on a tableau) This game is just phenomenal. Quick, easy to play, and a lot of fun. Not to mention very affordable!

I will second this one wholeheartedly! My secret santa sent it to me one year as a teaser and it has an amazing re-playability and depth for such a quick game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out ...

Morels
Ascension:Chronicle of the Godslayer
Seven Dragons
Battle Line
Wizard's Gambit

All are very different from the others, quite easy to learn, quick playing, and my wife has played and very much enjoyed all but Battle Line (just haven't gotten to it yet).

Good luck in your quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give Me the Brain!

(though I'm not sure how well it would play with two players)

(oh, and before anyone says "but that's a Card Game" - not it's not! It's a Dice and Card Game!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for London. FANTASTIC game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy should be a good match for a card game with teeth and not deckbuilding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Get yer finger off my head!!
mbmb
Summoner Wars: Master Set Its just awesome. My wife is a fan and shes not a big gamer. It also sparked a high interest with my cousins. Plays very fast and simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Berdichevsky
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost cities is a great game for two.

I would not recommend 7wonders If your gaming group is just the two of You.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Frey
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 London

and maybe Brass: Lancashire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
If Twilight Struggle was a favorite, your wife may also enjoy 1989: Dawn of Freedom

Strictly a card game, Glory to Rome is one that I recommend.
K2 is a nice little board game that uses cards.

Macao is a great game that I would not say was card-driven, but it certainly has little cards in it that are most important in the whole scheme of things. Really, this game is one of our favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| Don Pion |
Belgium
Brakel
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Saint Petersburg is also a good one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending

Lighter side:
Lost Cities
For Sale

Medium Weight:
Rivals for Catan +1 to an above comment

May have some difficulty convincing her upon these games
Thunderstone heavier based upon weight of box
Core Worlds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.