87 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Third printing buyers, what component issues do you have? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Armitage
msg tools
I got my copy 2 days ago and loving it, but I notice my component quality is worse than most of the previous editions I read. All my tiles are cut unevenly, none of the lines line up to the corners, and some are blatantly cut unevenly. I thought this was my only issue as I quickly indexed them all of the items and I'm not missing anything. But upon having my first game last night, I noticed almost every skill single card, for every character, advanced actions, magic cards and unit cards are missing 5mm of the left side of the card. The curly embroidery is often missing 30-40% of it basically.

Anyone else found any other issues?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same problems with the tiles, a 2nd print copy. No problems with the cards, though.

I asked for replacement of the tiles with the form on the Wizkid site, and luckily the ones I got were free of the aligning problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't have any tile problems with my first printing, but had some misaligned cards (a lot of them, actually). WizKids replaced them without any hassle whatsoever, and free of charge, after I filled out their standard product replacement form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gutripper
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do they replace reverse stamped counters too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Ekstrøm
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
Oy!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had lots of problems just getting my copy of Mage Knight. So much so that I might write up my experience at one point.

I'm guessing I have the 3rd printing since I have just received the game from a shop but I'm not really sure how to pinpoint the exact printing. On the back of the box my figures are placed on the tiles so I think it is at least 2nd printing. The table of contents is on the right-hand-side.

Anyway ... when I opened the box I saw that some of the cards were bent due to the packaging:

And some of the tiles were somewhat off center which makes aligning look weird and the stars/circles look like strange Lovecraftian symbols.

All the skills and monsters are printed the same way so no problem there.

However all my cards are printed off center as the OP mentions:

I have mentioned the bent cards and tiles to WizKids as per their replacement services but haven't received anything yet. I doubt they will replace a full set of cards (spells, actions, advanced actions, units, artifacts ...) but maybe I should enquire?

Claus

EDIT: information about the ToC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they accept replacing them why don't they trash them at production / make sure they are produced better?

Make me wonder whatever it would be worth to wait for the fourth print but who knows when that will happen? .. or if.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only complaint is my tiles... same as above and warped

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
for someone who has this on their "must-buy-at-some-point" list, all these issues push the date of that purchase back further and further and further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading this thread I went through my game examining each component quite closely.

My copy also has some problems:

- missing one token

- about half my map tiles are poorly aligned

- about half of my cards are slightly misaligned (not worth bothering Wizkids about)

I've sent a request to their replacement website. No confirmation yet.

How long does it take to get acknowledgement usually?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
How do I know which printing do I have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny, tiny typeface on the Rulebook and Walkthrough booklets.

OMG! I can barely read the miniscule type in brown ink on brown paper.

It makes learning the game that much harder and slower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Niemand wrote:
- missing one token
Now when I think about it haven't it always missed one token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
psicoserra wrote:

Check the 1st page of your rulebook: if you have the Table of Contents on the right of the page, you have the 3rd (last) printing.

If you don't have the Table, then it's 2nd or 1st printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Galandil wrote:
psicoserra wrote:

Check the 1st page of your rulebook: if you have the Table of Contents on the right of the page, you have the 3rd (last) printing.

?

The second printing rulebook has the Table of Contents on the right of the first page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Galandil wrote:

?

The second printing rulebook has the Table of Contents on the right of the first page.
Maybe his second print rulebook is missing that page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have got the 3rd printing buy I did not yet know if it misses any token... Must count them.
Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
?

I always thought that it was in the 3rd that the rulebook was changed, my mistake.

So, in the end, it seems that I have a 1st print copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Ekstrøm
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
Oy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick update: I got my replacement cards from WizKids. Pretty quick response time so kudos to their replacement services.

However, my replacement cards are just ... howshallIputit ... different. They have a slightly different feel and they are less glossy. In other words: I can see if it's one of the replacement cards on top of one of the decks. I've tried to scan in the old and the new card and the matte even shows in the scan (old card on the left):

If you look closely you'll see that the cut of the background image on the two cards is slightly different but that is really nitpicking. Except when you look at them on the front (old card on the right):

The problem with the cards being printed off center is now better (although if I ever put up a picture like that and said to my wife it was centered I'd be in all kinds of trouble).

The replacement tile is centered much better but has a number of "dimples" on it like it's been pressed against some hard uneven surface. At least it's on the front so it doesn't show when the tiles are shuffled. It does when I'm playing though.

Dunno if it's worth pointing out to WizKids that "not knowing what's in store for me in my decks" is not longer entirely true. I think I might just to see their response, although I could fix the game by sleeving all the cards.

Claus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Armitage
msg tools
Thanks Claus, just sent in my form and pictures yesterday. Hopefully I'll get mine as soon as yours! I have a quick question though if you don't mind, in your original post you said all the cards were unaligned, like mine but you mention noticing the difference whether or not it was a replacement card next on your deck, did you not get the complete deck in your replacement kit? If not why did you need to mix the two types of card? I imagined once I got the replacements I could throw all my faulty cards out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Ekstrøm
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
Oy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I only requested the cards that were bent - not the misaligned ones so I only got about a handful of new cards. I'll contact them again and see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fano Pratchett
United States
flag msg tools
The rules are set in tiny type.

The board tiles are very thin. Cards are a bit thin.

I expected better quality in the gameset for the price I paid. But the game design is solid and it is fun to play, if time consuming to learn.

Time will tell, but I think it will be a 'keeper.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the big tiles are slightly off-center. The stars and circles don't line up perfectly, but it works. Other than that I could not notice anything. Cards and tokens are definitely fine.

Only the inlay is a little small now that the cards are sleaved, but after removing the part holding the 8 miniatures, there is plenty room for them now, and the minis easily fit into the place where the cards originally were stored.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Ekstrøm
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
Oy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick follow-up.

I did contact WizKids about the glossyness and colouring of the replacement cards (and dimples on the replacement tile). The response I got from Normal Barth was

"Thank you for contacting us and we understand your frustration. However we are not going to be able to replace the full deck of cards. We do attempt to maintain the same coloring and coatings on print runs but there will be slight variations."

I mailed them back with an image showing the dimples on the starting tile (see below) and an image showing that the replacement cards not only have a different glossyness but are slightly wider than my original cards:

I offered to return my full deck of cards if I could just get a replacement deck (where the cards are indistinguishable) but haven't heard from them in over a week so I am guessing that is a "no".

If someone received a prefect printing and would want to help me get a replacement deck then please geek mail me. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dimples seem like a non-issue, unless they make the tiles distinguishable from the back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal L
United States
California
flag msg tools
I just ordered and received my copy from Amazon Prime, paying the extra 3.99 to get it a day earlier (I'm impatient!). I was dissapointed to see that all of my action, advanced action, spell, and artifact cards were badly miss-aligned. The unit cards, however, seem fine.

My map tiles are also cut slightly off which makes things look a little off when building a map.

I can deal with the map tiles, but not the cards. I emailed WizKid and sent pictures. I could always return to Amazon but it looks like I would just get the same thing back. Anyone else get a 3rd print that is "normal"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.